Curious about 355 rattles and their sounds. | FerrariChat

Curious about 355 rattles and their sounds.

Discussion in '348/355' started by recoil, Feb 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    What does the exhaust rattle sound like to you?

Because I haven't heard anyone else's 355, I don't know a "normal rattle" from a potentially bad one. For about 5-10 minutes, after a cold start, I can hear what sounds like an old 1974 Honda making a U turn with bad CV joints (clickity-clickity-clickity). It's not very loud.

I only hear it at idle. After it warms up, it goes away. I haven't tried using a scope to find the source of it yet.

Steve

2. ronrob

ronrob Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2007
    Var, S.E. France
    Full Name:
    Ronald Brown
    Steve,

Diagnosing other people's rattles is almost as difficult as diagnosing my own. After using a stethoscope I believe that mine (on my 1997 355) which is more a clickety-click (as you mention) comes from the left tensioner. It disappears after a few minutes of warm up. The sound is a bit like cracking walnuts. You might keep this in mind when you try to source your noise. If you are interested, a search of the forum will give you the range of views on the relative importance of this noise. If I remember correctly, one member came up with the rather clever idea of heating the JUST the area around the tensioner with a hair dryer or similar to help the diagnostic.

Good luck with the chase,
    Ron

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

Steve,
    That is usually the infamous exhaust bypass valve. As the car (valve) heats up, the metal expands, taking up the "slop" in the valve bearing and reduces the rattle noise. Eventually you will hear the noise all the time. You can adjust the valve to get rid of the rattle.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179962

4. mpodgor

mpodgor Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2005
    San Mateo, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Michael J Podgorski
    Well on my 355 the rattle got progressivly worse over time. Until the check engine light came on. Then it turned out to be a bad cat. 6 months after the left side it happened again. I knew it had to be a cat. Sure enough, the right side was self destructing as they love to do. Probably the #1 problem on these cars. Other than that it's a solid car. As far as rattles go. Good luck. Keep uis posted. I'm curious if that's the problem.

5. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    If it sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine it could be a collapsed tensioner, they are like a small shock absorber. When the engine warms up the heat causes it to extend out again. When it is collapsed it rattles on itself (sorry lack of a better way to describe it) The distance is only a few mm. Regards, Vern

6. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    +1

7. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If it's a tensioner, what's involved with the fix?

Steve

8. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    I've found the click, click, click may be headers the jingling sound sounds more like bypass valve...but that and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee because I'm just a driver.

9. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I would try and isolate the noise first, before you worry about that...(I don't think you want to know) ;)

10. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Def sounds like it's coming from the front of the engine. I warmed the car up yesterday until it went away and had a most enjoyable, spirited ride. Best 40 miles in a long time. I swear this thing is getting faster and more fun every time I drive it!

11. billyfitness

billyfitness Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    I have a slight rattle too when I 'punch' on the exhaust tips when cold and at 2200rpm oly, (it's favorite tune).
    Maybe an exhaust mount? I'll find it when the bumper comes off to put on hyperflows.
    -Billy

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The great majority of rattles are either the exhaust valve or heat shields on the Y pipe.

13. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    First and foremost dont as much as start the car again, if it's a collapsed tensioner the timing belt could skip and bend the whole bank of valves. To replace it the engine must come out, the parts cheap the labor is expensive, and the timing belts must also be replaces as they cannot be REtensioned once they are removed. Don't ask how I know all this.....

14. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    After thorough research I have discovered that a set of test pipes, headers, upper cat bypass and challenge straight pipes are installed no noises are heard..

This greatly reduces Ferrari ownership cost.

15. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Had a friend look over the car with me (haven't put it on a lift yet). We noticed that as we would let out the clutch with the brake on, the rattle would get much louder/worse. The engine would bog down a bit (naturally) but the rattle got worse. Could that still be a tensioner?

It'll go on a lift in the next couple of weeks hopefully. I just want to err on the side of caution.

Steve