Possible relocation to San Diego area - advice needed | FerrariChat

Possible relocation to San Diego area - advice needed

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by d-kauf, Feb 15, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. d-kauf

d-kauf Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    A possible relocation opportunity has arisen at my job which would take me to the San Diego area. Can anyone recommend some cities/towns that I might use as a starting point to find a new home? I would prefer something north of downtown, safe, and with a median home price in the $400-600k range. Any other advice would be great too.

Thanks

2. carless

carless Formula Junior

May 20, 2005
    So. Ca.
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Rent for a year. Save yourself some cash.

3. striker1

striker1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2008
    San Diego County, CA
    There are a ton of foreclosures right now. You can probably get a very good deal in that price range. You are right at the top of the range where it seems that foreclosures are taking a bite out of prices.

My oldest daughter is in the housing market for the first time (lower price point than you) and the deals are really good up to about the 700 range. If you go over that, better to wait until the prime borrowers with ARMs start to reset and panic/default.

If you are interested, I have a friend that deals in foreclosures. He is one of the few that is representing buyers exclusively (i.e, no conflict of interest) on foreclosures.

PM me if interested in his contact info.

4. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    +1 I'd wait a couple of months. The market should be prime then!

5. Suspence

Suspence Formula Junior

May 6, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Spencer Berke
    La Jolla is great, I live right by it in Pacific beach and I've had a few places in La Jolla in the past.

Lamborghini of San Diego, The Beach, Great restaurants are in the area. It's perfect for a great life style.

6. ZAMIRZ

ZAMIRZ Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Amir
    Do you have a family? How much living space do you need? Would you like to live in a house or building?

If you want a house, I'd start looking in Poway. Although it isn't the nicest place, it's fairly safe and a quiet neighborhood.

If money is no object, La Jolla and Del Mar are nice if you like to be near the coast. If you want a ton of space and a house to go bananas in, check out Rancho Santa Fe.

7. rrobello

rrobello Formula 3

Jul 25, 2005
    La Jolla, Rancho Sante Fe and pretty much all of Del Mar are out of that price range.

Are you going to be working in Downtown? Mind commuting? North County is great. Encinitas, La Costa. Although something a little less expensive perhaps look into San Elijo Hills or something like Rancho Penesquitos or Carmel Valley area where they are relatively newer communities, still nice areas but less expensive than the afore mentioned. Although if you have time to look into foreclosures then you might be able to strike gold somewhere like Encinitas.

East, out by the 15, expect at least a 10-15degree raise in temperature from the coast.

If you have to commute to downtown area, live in north county and have a 9-5ish type of job the commute will suck....not as bad as traffic in LA but it sucks.

All that said my personal choices would be Encinitas, La Costa, RSF, Del Mar, La Jolla, Aviara, Cardiff, Solana Beach and other surrounding communities.

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I concur.

For $600K, La Jolla isn't great, mostly because you're sleeping in the street and sharing the grate with someone making five figures.

If you want safe, upscale and north of downtown, you can look at condos in Scripps Ranch (part of San Diego - try ZIP code 92131 and adjacent), maybe Poway. Mira Mesa is cheaper but not as safe, IMO. Those are all south of the Rancho Berndaro bottleneck on I-15.

9. the_jay

the_jay Formula 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Murrieta, California
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Where will you be commuting? I think a lot of our suggestions depend on that...

10. d-kauf

d-kauf Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    It hasn't been determined yet. My company has a development near the Gas Lamp district so it may be near that. The company's president has a home in La Jolla so it could be near there too.

11. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    If it winds up being in La Jolla check out Sorrento Valley and University Town Center. I agree that the best thing right now is to rent - prices still on the decline. Sorrento Valley can yield a ~1,800 sq.ft. SFR with 2 car garage for around $550 - 600K and a ~2,500 sq.ft. SFR with 3 car garage for around $750 - 800K with a 10 - 15 minute commute to La Jolla. Nice area near high-tech business park with companies like Qualcomm in the vicinity. Many homes back onto Penasquitos Canyon with a nature corridor, but the downside is some noise from jets and helicopters from MCAS Miramar. UTC is closer still to La Jolla but pricier.

If you are coming into town to scope out areas PM me if you would like to meet up and get a resident's perspective.

12. HerrBremerhaven

Oct 30, 2005
    San Diego & Houston
    Full Name:
    Gordon Moat
    If you might be downtown quite a bit for work, check just north of downtown in the Little Italy area. Few houses, but if you don't mind a condo there are some nicer newer units in that location. You can also check out the Bay Park area, which is close to Pacific Beach. Then look along Tecolote Canyon area all the way towards Genesse Avenue. Golden Hills is quite nice too, though it will be tougher finding a nice house in your price range . . . but possible. Most of these would keep your commute and interaction with traffic to a minimum.

An alternative is to look north along the coast, then plan on taking the Coaster train into downtown for work. I know a few people who do that, and they get to avoid the mess near Sorrento Valley that is more like a parking lot than traffic. You might want to rent somewhere in San Diego for a bit, and try out some routes where you will commute. I think quality of life can be another factor in decisions, and honestly spending hours stuck in traffic just sucks.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography
    http://www.gordonmoat.com

13. Cannoli

Cannoli Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Norman
    +1 ... that's what I did. I just leased a townhome along the ocean cliffs of Solana Beach for about a year, just to get a lay of the land, then I bought a home. San Diego County is kinda weird - not like the rest of SoCal.

You might want to consider North San Diego County - it's closer to the O.C. and L.A. areas. There is a commuter train (Coaster) that terminates close to the Gaslamp area downtown from the North County areas.

Where ever you end up, you'll do fine. Weather in SoCal is pretty predictable, so if you like the cool morning temps from the Marine layer, the areas along the coast are phenomenal. If you like it warmer or just plan hot, head East. It's that simple.

14. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    If you are looking for deals don't go to a local Realtor. We are your one stop investment shop. Email me at: [email protected]

We are a LAW FIRM specializing in Foreclosures State wide. With in house brokerage and our experties in Short Sales and Deed in Lieu transactions, our clients find tremendous opportunities and values with us. If you are looking for a great deal contact me.

15. mayer

mayer Karting

Feb 16, 2004
    Another +1, except I'm even more bearish and don't see this recovering until after 2010 at the earliest. Wait until that wave of Option ARMs hit, more job losses, etc.
    http://bp3.blogger.com/_pMscxxELHEg/RxzD0s_7EYI/AAAAAAAABB4/ljDSXZhMG3o/s1600-h/IMFresets.jpg
    http://bp0.blogger.com/_nSTO-vZpSgc/R7UaGqMbZqI/AAAAAAAACJU/B9AQoEQ_0ss/s1600-h/california-housing+prices.png

To answer your question though, my advice is Del Cerro. Centrally located, low crime, and decent schools if you have children. Depending on which part, there are great views as well.
    http://www.sdlookup.com/MLS-086005990-5624_Mill_Peak_Rd_San_Diego_CA_92120
    http://www.sdlookup.com/

...no, that's not my home up for sale.

That's a cool little website that'll help you search by region, PPSF, etc. The "history" link at each home will also give you an idea how the homes were priced before this ridiculous run up.

16. microboby

microboby Karting

May 12, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Bernard
    As a Broker I would recomend Point Loma or Mission Hills very close to Downtown and nice areas , your budget is limited to a small house in good shape or a larger one that could be a fixer.

La Jolla, Rancho and del Mar are way more expensive and maybe a 1 bedroom condo would be on that price range

Good Luck

17. d-kauf

d-kauf Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks for all the responses. It appears that the odds of relocation are growing everyday. My wife and I are trying to get out there for a weekend soon to explore the land and see what housing is available. We will probably rent for 6-12 months while we deal with our house in Phoenix. We would like to find a house (3BR/2+BA, 2CG) for $2k per month or less in a decent neighborhood. Do you think this is doable?

18. rrobello

rrobello Formula 3

Jul 25, 2005
    for rent? yes mine is 3br/2ba 2cg for 1995/mo in La Costa with nice view of the ocean on a very quiet cul de sac

19. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    That's good for you if you decide you like it out here. Great areas to live. Renting for a year or more might be a good idea, especially if you don't know how long you'll be around.
    But it think it may be tough to find what you're looking for, in what's considered a "decent" neighborhood around here. As a comparison, my 2br/2.5ba oceanview condo with 1 car garage rents out for $3,500/mo. A SFR of the size you're looking for might only be found further inland.