"Fake" Ferrari ring busted | Page 2 | FerrariChat

"Fake" Ferrari ring busted

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Kaivball, Feb 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    The biggest lie in the article "four cylinder fieros were peppy"

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    The pic in the article about the "fake 355" was of a 328!

3. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    What a stupid article. Ferrari won't have lost any money by people making replicars - especially when they use genuine Ferrari parts! I am sure the reason that Ferrari didn't comment on this story is that they don't care. They are probably much more worried about all the fake shirts, bags, perfume etc that have been produced with the Ferrari emblem on.

4. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    I am a little confused; I am under the assumtion that to sell a fake as genuine is illegal but to sell a fake as a replica is not. Has not the shape been settled by the courts (Shelby Vs replica industry) as not being patentable? Additionally, how did the builder in England that built the replica 250 GTO using all similar parts get off the hook then?

5. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    i guess i don't see whats illegal about this... they are not claiming it to be a F355 and selling them over the internet only to have a fieroarri show up at the door step. People know what they are getting... and even the article states that its a fiereo on the inside... i don't see how they have a leg to stand on... besides thats been going on over here for decades... i mean we have magazines in the grocery stores that are about replicars etc...

what am I missing and how is this newsworthy...

6. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    We'd all like to know that, indeed.

Isn't the Italian government also the one that had a lot of rare and irreplacable replica Ferraris, some actual rebodies and with original Ferrari parts and engines, crushed? Remember that about 2 years ago? They weren't Fiero fakes but actually hand-made cars using never-to-be-found-again historical pieces. Way to go, Italy, destroying your own legacy.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    That was the case of two Maserati replicas being confiscated and consequently destroyed. One of them had a real engine in it.

The story here is last year's news and a bit strange that a good paper like the WSJ would pick it up now.

The Italian authorities were grand standing with a ridiculous claim of "counterfitting" when in reality some car enthusiasts built 355 replicas based on Fieros. Far from counterfitting and most people understood that when we discussed it here on FChat.

Why can't Italian authorities focus on some of the real problems their citizens face every day? Things like garbage disposal in Naples.

8. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Oh, right, sorry, they were Masers. I forgot. I saw the story on here back then so I associated Ferrari with it. But the principle is the same: a crying waste.

I heard on the radio yesterday, too, that Italian lawmakers have made it a crime for males to grab, scratch, otherwise touch their groin areas for any reason in public. What next? Can't look at women in public? Can't chew gum in public? Can't fart in public?

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm sure the citizens of Naples are delighted to hear that. They don't have any bigger problems...

10. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Sadly those guys are more ligit than most real "gangstas" walking the streets.

11. NYCSpotter

NYCSpotter Formula 3

May 28, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Damian
    Agreed.

12. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    It's amazing how there are 2 threads.... inches apart going on simo on this subject....

13. jelpspeed

jelpspeed Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2007
    Guadalajara, Mexico
    Full Name:
    Ever Lopez

Yes, they made a mold out of a original Ferrari 360, so all the panels are the same size and shape as the originals, and then, they tear apart the peugeout 406 coupe, and mount the body to it. it looks really nice to me, but the price for a replica should be less than that kind of money, he is also making a copy of his own Lamborghini Murcielago.
    check out the video:

http://youtube.com/user/l8vea

Best regards.

14. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Actually they do have fieros over in China in fact they are all over the place its just laws over there are very strict where you can't replicate anything over in that side of the world.

There was a huge bust in china with the lamborghini countach replicas back in the day(1991) or something like that almost like whats going on with the fake ferrari gang and there where over 30 cars confiscated from the builders.

15. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I just went to China two months ago, (10 days in Bayin, Bejing, Lanszhou, and Shanghi), and maybe I missed them, but I NEVER saw a single Fiero, or any other car that would make a decent 'donor' vehicle the whole time...definately no Fieros....

But, again, maybe I just missed seeing them.

Mike in Kuwait

16. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they are around.

There's fieros out where you are. check around on the fiero forums and clubs I have seen them even in places where they don't belong:D. But they are throughout asia and russia even the middle east there's fieros :D.

17. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004

You even if you can clearly tell if its fake or not its probably one of the better replica's I have seen in the market today.

Don't say no fiero is worth 30k no matter what. I have seen plenty of Lamborghini and ferrari replica's that where fiero based that have sold for more than 50k. Not only that but the fiero's market value is starting to go up. 30k isn't much of a value if the real deal is not to far away but then again id rather throw in a 3800supercharged engine, redo the suspension and brakes on my fiero than buy a real 308 or 328 ferrari. Id have more fun in the old pontiac but would I turn it into a replica? probably not.

Keep in mind most of these are molded from the model cars or the real thing so saying its bad is like saying the orginal is worst. Id say poorly built than looking like a ton of s***. Building something orginal isn't easy it would requre more money time and effort than doing a replica which is why so many would rather replicate than do one of their own.

Me I just want something diffrent.

18. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    I really, really enjoyed my Porsche powered and badged Beck 550 spyder. Ran like a go kart and totally raw like a superbike. I received TONS of thumbs up from people. I sold it because I didn't like the attention when stopped/parked. Some replicas are great, I think Fiero Ferraris are junk. Does Beck Cars violate the law?

19. globalm3

globalm3 Karting

Jul 27, 2007
  20. Barkaroo

Barkaroo Rookie

May 1, 2007
    Dacula, GA
    Full Name:
    Alan
    #46 Barkaroo, Mar 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. Barkaroo

Barkaroo Rookie

May 1, 2007
    Dacula, GA
    Full Name:
    Alan
    #47 Barkaroo, Mar 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    No, because it's not a 100% accurate recreation. Subtle changes to the bonnet's shape! Pretty damn close though!

23. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh

??? the mera was a 308 replicar.

http://www.fiero.net/mera/article.html

24. Chicane

Chicane F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 17, 2007
    Funkytown
    Full Name:
    Dirk Diggler
    Here is another story on it:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSL2882930520080228
    Check out the slick mid-eighties GM interior with the "Ferrari" Steering wheel.

By the way, from the OS:
    "In a few cases, Mercedes and Porsches were used as the underlying cars instead of Pontiacs."
    What "Mercedes and Porsches" were used to create the fake Ferrari's? And how did they make money off of that?