Carbon Fiber Roof or No Carbon Fiber Roof on my new M3? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Carbon Fiber Roof or No Carbon Fiber Roof on my new M3?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by darkalley, Mar 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I have to agree, it looks very nice in white with the black roof. However, I would go with the sunroof. I think it really adds something to the driving experience open or closed (assuming it's glass) on nice days. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if someone produces a carbon replacement sunroof panel down the road to reduce the weight.

2. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell

Sorry, you're wrong.
    BTW it's not 100 lbs if the other car does not have a sun roof.
    But then again, you love to argue, so you're right.

Darrell.

3. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    I used to dream of one and just CF the heck out of it from the hood to the fenders to the wheels to the interior, etc. Then I woke up and started adding the cost. It'll be cheaper to just buy a good used 360! Nice looking car as is though.

4. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell

Why don't you do the math, and find the % difference. YOU tell me, seeing you're an expert. Better yet, why don't YOU get both cars together, one with CF roof and one without(no sun roof) and time them around a track. There won't be anything in it. But I'm sure you will disagree also.

Darrell.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The fact they used unpainted (but clear coated) carbon fiber over aluminum tells you its for looks. Aluminum would've gotten the job done just as well and probably cost considerably less. It just doesn't look as good to some. CF is preferred over aluminum for structural pieces that need to withstand a lot of forces, but not this.

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I never said it was 100 pounds. I just responded to a post by DMOORE alleging that 100 pounds wouldn't make a difference...100 pounds would be a substantial weight savings on any car though. But, I have no idea how much weight if any a CF roof saves. However, if it does save any weight, whatever that amount is will benefit performance more up high than it would lower in the chassis...

7. mls

mls Karting

May 1, 2005
    The CFRP roof panel saves about 5kg.

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What he said.

And him.

THAT'S ALL?! Why would BMW bother?

9. Dilancer

Dilancer F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Dilan B.
    Just saw Doc B's car. Looks great with the CF roof.

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    A race team in F1, NASCAR, ALM,WRC, ect... spend mucho dinero to save much less weight than that....

11. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell

Not on a 3850lb car: actual weight.(specs: as per Road and Track's web site)

Darrell.

12. m3forlife

m3forlife Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #37 m3forlife, Mar 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    It woldn't be my car.

14. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I'm still concerned about long-term durability of those type finishes. I know the OEMs are better than the aftermarket, but I've seen a LOT of bad looking CF parts that are only a few years old. They seem to get yellowed and dingy.

Not really an issues if you're leasing or planning on dumping it in a few years, I suppose.