Tamiya 1:12 288 GTO diecast | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Tamiya 1:12 288 GTO diecast

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Sega355, Feb 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I don't have anything against plastic models, as I have many.

I just, as do many others, prefer metal. Plastic is not really closer to the real thing as far as the Enzo goes, there is no actual plastic in carbon fiber. And except for a few super Ferraris all are made out of some form of metal if you wanna go that route. But that isn't a concern with a model if you ask me.

The weight of metal doesn't "fool" me into thinking I got a better model, it just IMO is what a true die cast should be made of. I don't wanna be reminded of an old 1:24/25 model kit I made when I was 13. :)

Furthermore, as to the comment of the weight of a metal car over time messing up the models camber. Maybe on a cheap model, but out of all my models, many of which are over 10 years old, only one has an issue. The rear wheels of a Hot Wheels 550. And I got it that way. I actually fixed it by unscrewing it and heating the plastic back into shape very carefully. Worked like a charm, about five years so far. So that sure isn't gonna worry me!

2. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
    Just for the record... the camber on my 1:12 Kyosho F40 is fine, even after sitting in the display case for several years... If nothing else, I just hope the hinges and attachment points of the pieces to be assembled are metal - so they aren't flimsy - like the rear hatch setup on the Tamiya Enzo.

3. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Sorry i didnt mean "cheap" to be honest now that i look back. I do think they feel like a toy though as opposed to an expensive model.

4. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    Christian,

Have you seen what price they will sell it in Europe?

5. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

+1... what he just said

6. johneli1

johneli1 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2006
    Hampshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    diecastlegends.com have it listed for £299 GBP (!!!!!!!!) I hope it will be cheaper on Ebay!

7. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
  8. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
  9. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Same here, that cars quality is so high that would never be an issue. The suspension is solid.

10. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    I have one and it is great fun and looks great, but...it is not accurate scale, they shrunk the length, it is too short compared to width/height probably because they wanted to fit it to a certain existing chassis. I do hope, and expect, that the die-cast is correct!

11. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    Hmmm, $591 USD. Thanks

12. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Thats what i would have expected for an market introductory price. Should go down sooner or later.

Regards,

Matthew

13. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You are correct the suspension is solid and it is very high quality. It is my favorite model in my 1:12 collection, but springs are springs and all the weight they carry would sooner or later have an effect on them and compress them a little. It has happened on all my Pochers which are "nice and heavy". My F50 may be starting to go the same rout. Also if you compare the panels really careful there is a slight difference in the shade of red on the rear hood and the quarter panels. Same with the doors
    And again the Enzo is not plastic. It is made from composite resin, which according to Tamiya was done in order to improve quality and realism of the moldings. I can't really argue with them as their Enzo is IMO the best 1:12 Ferrari ever made.

14. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I just cant see it. The reflection/shine of the composite resin isnt as realistic in my opinion. Also the fact that it is composite resin over diecast means there is a greater margin for the panels being slightly warped (like I and a few others have experienced).

Anyone here ever had diecast panels not fit properly?

15. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I've never had an issue, but most of mine are 1:18 and therefore not as heavy. My Kyosho F40 is my only 1:12, and has to be about five years old. Not a single change in height. I guess it's the quality? I'm sure a lesser made one might "drop" a tad, but no big deal. I've actually lowered a few of my models on purpose. Furthermore, the small springs these models use are common. And can be purchased and swaped out if need be don't forget.

16. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
  17. canam350

canam350 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2004
    dublin, ireland
  18. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
  19. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
    I haven't, but with a potential savings of a couple of hundred dollars I plan on making a phone call in the next week or so... Unless someone else already has...?

20. canam350

canam350 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2004
    dublin, ireland
    hi roy.
    i contacted them last night by mail and got a price with discount
    and echange rate of canadian dollar and euro it will work out at
    312 euro including shipping, so i think i will order it friday,
    joe

21. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    oops 312€ super interresting...i want one!

22. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
    What about shipping? Included in the price?

23. canam350

canam350 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2004
    dublin, ireland
    good afternoon roy
    yes when i did the maths with discount and the shipping it worked out
    at 312 euro including the shipping or 500 can dollars,
    with the euro so strong against the us /canadian dollar
    its works out great for me/just waiting for cc details to arrive.
    because i have checked with a few dealers in europe and they say
    maybe 400/450 euros and no delivery dates,so i think i will order this friday
    when my new card arrives.
    joe

24. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    I just pre-ordered mine from them! 450 CAD + 50 CAD shipping is indeed 312 Euro!