IRL Motegei RACE ***SPOILER*** | FerrariChat

IRL Motegei RACE ***SPOILER***

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by brent Lachelt, Apr 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    WOW unbelievable!!!

2. cantsleepnk

cantsleepnk Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Good for her. Although I'm sure some here will try to diminish the win by saying she won on fuel economy .

Nevertheless congratulations Danica.

3. axemansean

axemansean Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    In before the conspiracy theories and naysayers.

She won the race fair and square and played it cool while the lead pack went for immediate glory.

4. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Where is Ron?

5. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Always nice to see a first time winner. Good call and she made it work.

6. smart_alek

smart_alek Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Alex
    A win is a win. She has three very talented teammates on her team, in equally good cars. should be interesting to see how she adapts to the road courses they are running this year.

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Bravo Danica! Am very happy for her: sha has earned it.

I first realized she was going to be a contender when arriving at Miami Homestead during qualifiying afew years ago 2003,4,5 can't remember and standing up on a photographers platform in turn one. 3 seconds later a car came by at top speed it was my first race of the year so was unprepared for the noise so an IRL car at 200mph a few feet away gets your attention and just as I tried to figure out if I still had eardrums I heard the announcer say: Danica second on the provisional grid! I only vaguely knew of her before that but now I was very aware:)

There will be an F1 test this season or next for her, mark my words, for publicity certainly but maybe with an off chance at a seat: just think of the media attention this would get. In any case well done to her!

8. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    +1! Take that all you h8ters! :D

9. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #9 yzee, Apr 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

I missed the race, who won??

11. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    (FROM AUTOSPORT)

Danica Patrick used a fuel gamble to take a historic victory in the delayed Motegi round of the IRL IndyCar Series.

The Andretti Green Racing driver took the lead with just two laps to go as the rest of the front-runners had to pit for fuel, and became the first woman to win a major American open-wheel race.

Patrick had run on the fringe of the top six for most of the race, as Ganassi's Scott Dixon and Penske's Helio Castroneves dominated the event.

But AGR's decision to bring Patrick in for an additional fuel top-up at the end of the final full course yellow paid off spectacularly, allowing her to take a remarkable last gasp victory.

Castroneves led the first half of the race - which was postponed by a day due to poor weather earlier in the weekend - with Dixon, Dan Wheldon (Ganassi) and Tony Kanaan (Andretti-Green) in close pursuit.

Dixon jumped into the lead during the second pitstops, and was then able to pull away from the field, leading by as much as six seconds.

But the final yellow on lap 142 eliminated his advantage, and left all the teams in a fuel mileage quandary.

While most hoped in vain for additional yellows, Patrick, Castroneves and Vision Racing's Ed Carpenter all chose to make an extra stop just before the green, but only Patrick was able to conserve enough fuel in the final 51 laps to make it to the flag without a final splash-and-go stop.

She duly rose to the front as Dixon, Wheldon, Kanaan, Castroneves and Carpenter all had to pit within the final six laps.

Castroneves was able to rejoin fastest and take second place, five seconds behind the victorious Patrick, with Dixon completing the podium.

Wheldon and Kanaan claimed fourth and fifth ahead of Carpenter - who had charged back into the lead group after earlier being delayed in a pitlane tangle with teammate AJ Foyt IV.

Ryan Hunter-Reay finished seventh for Rahal-Letterman Racing, with Foyt's Darren Manning in eighth and Ryan Briscoe surviving a late brush with the wall to take ninth for Penske. The Australian had vaulted from the midfield to the lead group by topping up his fuel under an early yellow and consequently having a rapid second stop, but fell out of contention for the win when he scraped the wall in the closing laps.

Townsend Bell claimed the final top ten spot for Dreyer & Reinbold.

While Patrick celebrated a momentous victory, two of her Andretti-Green Racing teammates had less happy afternoons. Second row starter Marco Andretti spun into the wall at the first corner of the race, while local favourite Hideki Mutoh could only finish 11th after spinning in the pit exit and almost crashing into the pace car.

Pos Driver Team Laps
    1. Danica Patrick Andretti-Green 200
    2. Helio Castroneves Penske 200
    3. Scott Dixon Ganassi 200
    4. Dan Wheldon Ganassi 200
    5. Tony Kanaan Andretti-Green 200
    6. Ed Carpenter Vision 200
    7. Ryan Hunter-Reay Rahal-Letterman 200
    8. Darren Manning Foyt 199
    9. Ryan Briscoe Penske 199
    10. Townsend Bell Dreyer & Reinbold 199
    11. Hideki Mutoh Andretti-Green 199
    12. Buddy Rice Dreyer & Reinbold 198
    13. Jay Howard Roth 192
    14. Roger Yasukawa Beck 134
    15. AJ Foyt IV Vision 103
    16. Vitor Meira Panther 92
    17. Marty Roth Roth 44
    18. Marco Andretti Andretti-Green 0

CONGRATUALTIONS DANICA PATRICK, YOU DESERVED THIS, YOU EARNED IT, YOU WORKED FOR, NOW GO WIN AGAIN.

12. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    ESPN sucks, they didn't even televise the race on ESPN1 or 2.

Congrats to Danica.

13. cantsleepnk

cantsleepnk Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Nick

The replay is on right now on ESPN2 in HD.