With All Due Respect Signore Enzo.... | FerrariChat

With All Due Respect Signore Enzo....

Discussion in '360/430' started by John G, May 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John G

John G Karting
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2008
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    I am seeing an increasing "bling" and "mod" audience in the F-Cars...while I respect and wholeheartedly understand our passion and desire to "personalize" our f-cars, do you think it sometimes borders on "going a little overboard" when we modify ECU's, add ground effect kits and accents, and dvd navigation systems...

imagine giving Enzo a ride in your F-Car with non OEM parts...I think he might ****.

Perhaps controversial topic, perhaps a friendly discussion, but why-o-why must we screw with perfection?

Part of ownership I thought was partaking in the passion of hand built craftsmanship, and knowing that every crucial detail and aspect of the F-cars design did not go unnoticed.

Some of us are purists I guess, some are seeking that uniqueness among a already unique and niche market.

I can respect that, but lets keep the OEM Passion alive too!

2. andric

andric Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Why would Enzo care if you modded your f-car? You really think he would get mad because you added a tubi or modded the ecu? If anything I think he would be delighted that you were passionate enough to see room for improvement! All Enzo cared about was speed and performance, hell when the company first came out it was to fund his racing team. I think Enzo would be more let down by those "purist" who admire the hand stiched leather MORE than the brute performance. I think for those people he would rather see them in a Bently. Do you really think garage queens is what Enzo had in mind when he built these cars. I agree that some of the ground effects are ugly and overdone but some are a great improvement. And as far as wheels are concerned, they are another great avenue for improvement. The stockers are so chunky compared to nice aftermarkets. As long as they are not chrome and flashy then they are fine. As for the Nav unit, Enzo never knew what he was missing so how would he be ashamed? For many people its a neccesity.

Now that I covored all your ?s let me ask you a couple. Why are you keeping yours OEM, and why are you so against modding? Is it because that is what your "supposed" to do? Because everyone else who has a Ferrari says to? Because you don't know any better? Or do you truely think the ECU is perfect or that the stock exaust needs no improvement.

3. John G

John G Karting
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2008
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    Because in another 10-20 years when these f-cars go vintage, an investor or true collector is not going to want to invest in a modified car with non-factory parts.

I feel as though we have an obligation to preserve the integrity of these cars.

Lets say I want to keep a 355, a 360 and a 430 for a collection for sale in the future?

Call me an a**hole or whatever, but i believe in keeping them original.

To each his own, which is why it makes this forum so unique and cool to talk to people.

When I goto Cavallino, i do not see 250 gt's with new sound systems or aftermarket wheels.

Nor do i see people take there GT's and change the factory wheels.

now...

I understand the other side of this coin...the people who track and DRIVE these cars...the people who want a CS and its track-like performance. I respect you guys.

But dont depreciate the marketplace by putting Crapuloso body kit f-cars into the market which lower the perceived market value of the cars.

again, to each his own.

4. andric

andric Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Yes I see your point but why drive a stock car because of what someone else might want? Its your car drive it how you like it! All these mods are reversable and most people do convert back to stock when they sell. And of course you won't see aftermarket wheels and upgraded brakes at Cavallino, you'll see them on they track where these cars belong and where Enzo would want them to be.

5. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Arguably, there are enough cars that even with some modified, the end result will be fewer, more valuable, and maybe more appreciated pristine copies in the years ahead. Best

6. Marko@SupercarTuning

Jun 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Marko Djurich
    To each his own. I personally would think Enzo would get a kick out of a twin turbo 360 walking away from cars like the LP640, C6Z06, 997TT, SLR etc. Ferrari has to meet emissions, noise and other EPA standards and design their cars around such restrictions. I see nothing wrong with neutralizing those restrictions and uncorking the cars true potential. I bought my car to enjoy it and have done so in many ways. One way I definitely don't enjoy it is thinking about what some guy who may buy it from me, if I decide to sell it, may or may not want. I think that should be more his problem, not mine. I paid a decent dollar amount (in respect to an average automobile) to enjoy this car and I have been fortunate enough to do so to a great extent. If my car is worth less due to some mods, then so be it. To me the experience of enjoying my car is priceless.

P.S. If Enzo lent me one of his cars, I would surely not mod it as he may become upset. It's his car after all.

7. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Bob, you getting that ZR1?

8. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    I don't see the logic there. If anything, the value of unmodified cars would increase as the number available goes down. For 360/430, there were so many made it won't matter.

9. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    The professional industrial artist who designed the car has far better artistic skills and taste than the typical customer who mods the car. Therefore I believe modded cars always look worse than the original. But hey, it's a free world so people can do whatever they please.

10. markpeboxer

markpeboxer Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I guess I'm biased. I think modding is ok as long as the design alteration is both on brand as well as in good taste. Possessing really good taste by the way is by far one of the most valued assets in the design business.

11. toshiba

toshiba Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Santa
    you should be more worried about people that can actually drive such a car

12. charliebronson

charliebronson Formula 3

Dec 5, 2004
    Full Name:
    Charliebronson

Some cars are perfect out of the box, some aren't. I found the 996 generation lacking (except the GT2). I thought the 360 looked a bit tame until the CS came along. I dont agree that the designers at pininfarina and modena are the end all be all of automanufacturing. The successful aftermarket tuners and designers are a proof of it. Although I wouldnt touch a strad, Id certainly mod something I thought could use my personal touch. What I wouldnt do is to let someone I dont know, tell me what to do with my property.

-Peter Oh

P.S One of the nicest CS' Ive seen is a TDF e.g with one lugg novitechs and blacked out lights. I never heard anyone object to that car. Wish I had a pic of it.