Lewis Hamilton "I'm not Superman." | FerrariChat

Lewis Hamilton "I'm not Superman."

Discussion in 'F1' started by 62 250 GTO, May 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Hamilton hits out ahead of Turkish GP

LONDON, England -- McLaren driver Lewis Hamilton has hit back at his critics ahead of Sunday's Turkish Grand Prix, saying: "I'm not Superman."

The 23-year-old Briton is facing the biggest test of his fledgling Formula One career after falling nine points behind world champion Kimi Raikkonen in the drivers' standings with four races gone.

Hamilton won the season-opening Australian Grand Prix but his highest finish since has been third as Ferrari have begun to dominate.

"A few people have questioned my commitment and my ability to drive," said Hamilton. "I'm not Superman but I believe I have the ability to win a world championship.

"Everybody makes mistakes. I'm sure Nelson Mandela, at 90-odd, still makes mistakes. That's life. What people say about my performances does not really bother me -- what does concern me is doing the job to the best of my abilities.

"Once we get everything right, our car is as quick as any. Then it is down to the driver to pull out extra bits of time. I think I can do that," he added.

Hamilton will be looking to cut back the points gap on Raikkonen on Sunday, but last year he could only finish fifth in the Istanbul race with Ferrari pulling off a double through winner Felipe Massa and Raikkonen.

2. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    It's not Hami's driving skills that are in doubt. It is his car development and setup skills that are in question. His statement, "Once we get everything right" is the core of the problem.

3. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Pretty sure when Windsor talks about him at any point during the broadcast Lewis could drive so fast he could make the globe spin backwards and turn back time.

4. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    My take as well.
    Fortunately that can be a learned skill to those who are receptive and motivated. Hami is both.
    Davidson was a great test driver and Baracello may be available at the end of the year as a developement driver.

5. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Either that, or maybe the Ferrari is simply the class of the field. Without Nigel Stepney, McLaren has fallen back to secondary status. Remember that most of the titles fought for the last 5 seasons were Renault v Ferrari, with McLaren a step back.

6. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON
    He better do something because that sweet orange F1 LM is won't be his.

7. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    It would seem that the pressure to be the next Senna is getting to him a bit. He's right actually, the expectations are far too high. The hype generated by his dynamite start last year have had a negative effect on him. People, especially the British press, expected him to dominate Formula one this year. The fact that it hasn't happened, have people doubting him, and I'd suspect, he is too. People were quick to gauge his talent by last year. The true test is still ahead of him....

8. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Exactly my thoughts.

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    And exactly what I was saying LAST year!!

He could have learnt sooooooo much from Alonso, but instead I have to disagree with LightGuy as LH has shown that he is not receptive to learning from another driver, even a 2 times WDC. Anybody that is big headed enough to honestly think he is equal number 1 with a 2 WDC after a few races is an idiot, even if they did happen to beat them a few times. Just crazy and stupid Ron for not enforcing his position in the team last year as a "you are here to learn boy" position. This would have kept the press under control if every single time he or Ron had spoken to the stupid British press they started with "My only goal this season is to learn this thing called F1 so that next year I am ready ..."

Jensen Button all over again ...
    Pete

10. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Wow !
    The rookie kid was leading the WDC up until the last minutes of the season. If not for Ferrari team orders he would be WDC right now.
    And with Alonso in the other car.
    He's as close to Superman as anyone on the grid.
    Driving on chords was his Kryptonite. And not his fault.

11. AP2TUDE

AP2TUDE Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Edwards
    Anyone who doubts his talent is stupid.

A few have already hit the nail on the head for McLaren this year, the problem is setup, not the driver. Whether the setup of the car is the problem simply because of the changes in the car or because of the drivers inability to get the setup right is obviously unknown, but when it comes down to it they just don't have the pace this year that they did last year.

I think that when he does get it right though it will be like someone flipped a switch, and he will be back to being as dominant as he was last year.

12. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes it was...Love how eveyone blamed McLaren for that race but couldn't LH tell his car's handling was going off??? Does he wait for Ron to tell him it is OK to take a pee???

13. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    LH has talent, but made stupid mistakes last year that he will learn from...

14. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    #14 ferraridude615, May 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Setting up the car requires a different talent ... we are questioning whether he has this talent. I personally think he is not as good as other F1 drivers at this.

Not many WDC's are won by a driver just getting in a car and racing it ... most of the work is done at the test tracks. This is where he should have learnt from Alonso, but didn't because when Alonso stopped sharing his setup in the middle of last year, LH's performance noticeably dropped.

So keep calling everybody stupid if you want, but LH is not the full deal and WDC ready yet. He was lucky last year AND benefited from Alonso (and or the cheating, whatever?) and had the best car on the track for many races ... getting podiums was thus easy. A few podiums in a row, with Ferrari and Alonso having issues, and next you are leading the WDC ... but not by talent alone, aided by a little luck AND some talent.

The English press and fans AND LH need to gain a thing called "perspective" :D.
    Pete

16. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Yep here's where alonso's presence, or lack there of, is very apparent.

17. smart_alek

smart_alek Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I'd rank Wurz as a test driver that is probably more sought after than Davidson. The Honda cars have not been stellar in the last few seasons.

18. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    If he hadn´t f*cked up himself he also wouldve been WDC.

19. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i don't think Hammi lost any of he's speed. but maybe setup wise, there could be a thing or two. we'll see the next 2-3 races. if Mclaren continue to suffer, then confirm they're missing Freddy.

20. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    When did HE say he was equal..he just drove the car and happened to be as good as FA. why is he a idiot..:confused:.
    Is Kimi good at car set up.. is he the full deal..?

Perspective .. is one thing, biased is another which makes your point stupid ..so what are you saying ..,is he is running 2nd in WDC as of now, in a car he can't set up, and that's down to luck. :rolleyes:

Trouble is Pete, if you wern't so anti British you may have had a point.

21. ApeGen

ApeGen Formula 3
    Owner

Jun 3, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Obviously, you missed the point; he said "Anybody that thinks"; that could be intended for the fans or whoever in the team that were involved in not giving FA #1 status. Read carefully before you shoot out your BIAS/OVER-PROTECTIVE statements.

I dare say he is no anti-brits in this particular post, you are the one that is over-reacting; therefore, you should really be the last person that has the right to tell people that they are bias.

22. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Fair point.... But it still applies remind me, who was it that beat that 2xWDC in the same machinery last year..
    I dare say what...?

BTW I just see Lewis as a great talent, the fact he is british or not makes no odd's to me.

I object to folk jumping on a bashing bang wagon, for no reason's.

23. ApeGen

ApeGen Formula 3
    Owner

Jun 3, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    He was sharing FA's car setup which is a huge advantage for a rookie; it is quite evident that FA pretty much outperformed LH (except for 2 races) when FA finally decides to stop the data sharing in the 2nd half of the season.

Not a chance for any MS ex-teammates to share MS's data, that is a well known fact and also why it is such an advantage for LH. Even Martin Brundle mentioned in one of the interviews that, that was indeed the case, but MS could see his data.

If LH being British is not a factor, you would not have come up with your "anti British" comment.... come on now, you feel offended.

I wouldn't call this bashing; no doubt that he has tremendous talent, i mean just look at him on Top Gear, that alone was obvious enough. I think what people are saying here is that being a WDC cannot only count on talent, the technical knowledge is just as important.

24. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Agreed.

25. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Look he is a Kiwi that thinks he is a Aussie ..:) that say's it all ..and I'am sure he doesn't need you to answer on his behalf

You answered your question Top gear enough said.

Besides where are you from Mr ApeGen.....?