I'm looking for a car for about 11k | Page 3 | FerrariChat

I'm looking for a car for about 11k

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Highlow, May 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Highlow

Highlow F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2006
    Sac
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    #51 Highlow, May 20, 2008
    Last edited: May 20, 2008
    So this is what I want to do.

I want to spend about 9g on an e36 m3, and save the rest for parts and when/if it breaks.

I figured if I was going to get a new car, I might as well get what I want and suffer the costs. Id rather have what i love than something that costs less but wont keep me staring.....

2. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    you'll ALWAYS, be staring looking for the next upgrade....

Not a bad thing just a fact of life....

-David

3. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #53 SefacHotRodder, May 20, 2008
    Last edited: May 20, 2008
    I'm going to be in the market for an E36 M3 soon and was planning on spending around $16k. Being 16 and having an E36 M3 is a bad idea. Go to your insurance agency and get a quote. I think you'll change your mind fairly quick. Someone on here said an E36 M3 was more costly to insure than his Ferrari 355.

Its much better to stick with a lower mileage M3 than a higher mileage M3. ANY M3 under $10k is going to have problems. I see cars for $12k and wonder whats wrong with them. If you spend <10k on an M3, prepare to have some big bills soon. I've done the research. Head over to bimmerforums and do some research. Most M3's with more than 100k miles have either had engine rebuilds (around $4000-5000) or engine swaps. Yes, the engines are very strong but things start going wrong after about 140k. You can make it last but you will be paying big money for repairs if things go wrong, especially if you don't work on it yourself. I would touch any of those cars you posted in those craigslist ads btw. If you really want a bimmer, you can get a really nice E36 328is or 325is for 10k. I think this would be the way to go if you have your heart set on a BMW

Not to mention the fact they are fast as hell and not a good car to start on at 16 years old but i'm not here to lecture you...

I'm e30evo on bimmerforums if you do head over there

Let us know what you do decide on

4. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    2 grand won't get you much in the way of parts and labour.

5. Jaws

Jaws Karting

Nov 30, 2006
    New England - USA
    You can get into or make a stage 4/5 Saab 9-3 or 9-5 with 300-400 BHP at that price and it'll be faster than the M3. Before you laugh it off I think you would be surprised at the performance. Rollling acceleration times comparable to a Porsche Turbo. You just have to get over the FWD thing.

6. MikeMac

MikeMac Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's gotta be some wicked torque steer with 300-400 FWHP.

7. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    +1

Tuned Saabs are NUTS

8. Highlow

Highlow F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2006
    Sac
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I'll be making money along the way, $2,000 is not a set number, it will be growing.

As for the Saab, I'm not a big fan of the looks, and not everything is about speed for me.

9. Vibrant_5oh

Vibrant_5oh Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    * 99+ Mustang GT/Cobra
    * 98+ Ls1 z28/SS/formula

Fun cars. They're a bit on the rough side, but the performance & bang for your buck is unmatched imo. Fairy reliable, & maintenance and parts for them are cheap. They're easy to mod as well & have a ton of parts out for them. The 6spd Ls1 cars will get 28mpg highway.

10. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    LMAO!

They where selling those here on avarage for bout 22k used. Iv'e never seen one sell for less than that.

11. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    They are pretty good cars but if you can find on in good condition is the problem.

How about a C4 vette? you can find those for around 8k with the LT1, great car with great performance and huge tuning capablites.

Can't count out a Buick Grand National either. you can pick one of those up for around 8k.

12. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Strongly disagree, we have had our 2005 for 3 years and it still is a ton of fun. Went on the Spring Fling run with the Rocky Mountain Ferrari Club (the F355 is having its major done) this weekend and had no problems keeping up with all but the newest cars and pulled away from the 308s and Mondials with no problem. Yes, you have to rev the engine to get it to move fast, but that is half the fun, I have not driven many other cars that corner as well and are as much fun. I would not take it across country, but I feel that way about most sports cars, I like fun and handling, for comfort there are other cars. Car is bullet proof and we run it hard, no maintenance other than oil and gas. Find one that anyone would want to own for $14-16K, highly unlikely.

As an aside, the Audi B5 S4 does seem to fit the bill for $11,000. Relatively cheap to modify and still fun to drive. I had one for 5 years and put nearly 100,000 miles on it and had it MTM stage 1 modified and it was reliable and fun.

My 2 cents worth, YMMV.

13. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Can't you people check autotrader? ;)

$16 grand will buy you a very good example of an S2000. And for about ten grand less than 22k you can have yourself an RX8.

14. Rohit

Rohit Rookie

Apr 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealan
    Full Name:
    Rohit
    While an E36 M3 would be awesome, do your research first. BMW's are quite reliable if treated well (my old man has a E38 740i), but if you aren't able to work on it yourself, or you don't have any good mates who're handy with a spanner, they can get quite pricey to maintain.
    And, like it's been mentioned many times before, can you even insure it? I'm not sure how it works where you are, but here in New Zealand they'd laugh at 16 year olds trying to insure M3's.

That said, getting your own legitimately fast car is an awesome feeling. Instead of going for rides in other peoples cars, you get to be the one taking people out for quick fangs around the hills. It pretty sweet. A lot of the older people around me questioned me buying my Evo 6, but at the end of the day, I love it, and wouldn't change it for anything (that I could afford). I figure it would likely be the same for you.

So yeah, don't get a car just because you can afford to buy it. Do your homework. Figure out how much you'd reasonably expect to pay to keep it running. Get the best car you can within your means. No point having a giant paperweight sitting in the garage.

15. Ispeed

Ispeed Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Needham MA
    Full Name:
    Carl
    A good question is "What is this kid's income?" Because Camry ownership is like owning an anvil, owning a performance car is a whole other type of animal...
    You will need some constant stream of disposable income for a 10+ year old performance car that may come up on maintenance cycles on your watch.

16. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    +1

17. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    +2

18. Highlow

Highlow F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2006
    Sac
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    #68 Highlow, May 21, 2008
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
    I was driving next to a white e36 m3 with gunmetal wheels about an hour ago, and now I really really want one.

My parents would help me with the fix-it costs, so I wouldn't be all alone.

For now at least, I am set on the m3. Unless something comes up, thats the car I want.
    What mileage should I say under? And what would be a good price for a good car(forget the 11k)?

19. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You'll find cars with about 70k miles for about $14k-16k depending on condition. $18k will buy you a good car with about 50k-60k miles.

Again, i would really really suggest calling your insurance agent up before you do this

20. Highlow

Highlow F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2006
    Sac
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Yeah, My dad is already trying to get me to do this, but first I have to figure out which car i want.

21. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Does not matter. Call them up and tell them you want a quote for you on a 1999 E36 M3. This will help establish a ballpark quote. What happens when they say they will insure you for $3300/6 months ? You'll look into other cars. Time to get a ballpark estimate.

Regarding the fix-it costs, it isn't so much with fix-it stuff, which will happen, it is also about tires. You'll probably try and cheap out on them because for 200 bucks less you can get a cheaper tire - which will hurt you in every way. So, don't cheap out on tires! Yes, they don't last long. Yes, they are expensive.

If something goes wrong with the E36, look up online for resources. Not everything needs to be taken to a BMW dealership or specialty shop for repairs, but it is nice to know how to do some things on your own. You'll also want to talk with a local shop or find one that can do a PPI on it. This is advisable on a car that will be 8-11 years old.

22. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    NO. You call the insurance people first. Tell them all the cars you're interested in and then see how much it is for each one

23. Highlow

Highlow F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2006
    Sac
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    a 97 m3 is about $400 more
    a 2000 328 is about $200 more

So its all good as far as insurance.

24. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Just curious, but more than what? And how often? Is that 400 more every six months? 400 more a year? 400 more a month?

25. Highlow

Highlow F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2006
    Sac
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    The insurance lady told me that I was paying $2150, but I don't know if that is 6mo. or 1yr. I forgot to ask and I'm not really sure what to compare that too, so I have no idea.