Nice Mondial t on eBay | FerrariChat

Nice Mondial t on eBay

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by robbio99, Jun 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  2. pmorin

pmorin Karting

May 14, 2004
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    P. Morin
    Rear lights are inverted, why? Maybe some re-paint in the rear?. Window tint too dark for my taste.

3. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
  4. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #5 Wade, Jun 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I stopped by yesterday for a look and it's quite apparant that the entire car has had a recent repaint. I wonder if it's worthwhile to restore a t Coupe or maybe just import an excellant example from Europe instead?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    t coupe is so rare. Poor quality repaint?

6. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob

When I emailed the dealer about the tail light reversal he said "I have no idea". Not confidence inspiring. The bad paint job is sad.

A European Mondial t coupe is a good idea for a number of reasons. I understand that they can be found in the later years models all the way to 1993. I hear the Swiss cars are often well maintained even if well used.

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    While the paint looked okay it's not representative of a t. Also, since there are no records and at 64K+ miles one would have to expect that this car needs a full service along with shocks, brakes and clutch work. I've been told that it has a few electrical problems including an inoperative sunroof and speedometer.

I might need to brush up on the DOT/EPA importation rules ;)

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    T Coupe with a sunroof is very rare, but if the maechanism of the top has malfunctioned, expensive and hard to find parts..

9. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #11 Wade, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I did, and drove it too last Friday. The salesman seemed very upfront and honest about the car while saying "Make me an offer but it's got to start with a "2". I am very surprised about the current price on ebay and in the end this will be nearly a $60k "investment", or maybe $50k as a driver.

Although I didn't do a PPI here's what I observed; Engine felt strong with no exhaust smoke, small oil leak, trans shifted well, clutch grabbed very late but without slippage, ABS light on, sunroof inop, adjustable suspension didn't appear to change settings, power windows very slow (passenger side mostly inop), speedo and tach inop, right side plastic vent tips broken, "butt print" on the front valance, stone chip/crack on the left driving light, spare wheel/tire was from other than a Ferrari, front lid latch inop, trunk release button inop, front seat foam unsupportive (felt like sitting on a cheap toilet), full service most likely way overdue and the plug wires appear to be originals.

But... if I weren't in the middle of restoring an old house I would have bought it regardless :)

10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    It's been pretty well established that there is no 'correct' placement of the lights, there are variations on every model. I've seen 308's and 328's with lights in both areas. It's pretty common, and does not necessarily mean that they've been moved, is more likely that whoever put the car together originally had the freedom to choose.

11. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Wade,

Great informative and helpful post. Well done. Good photos and all.

12. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I'd sure like to have him along on tire kicks.

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Thanks.

As you already know the t Coupe is an amazing car and worlds apart from its predecessors.

With the price of gas and airfare on the rise having someone local and unbiased is a viable option ;)

14. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #16 robbio99, Jun 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
    "As you already know the t Coupe is an amazing car and worlds apart from its predecessors."

As I search for a t I am told all sorts of stories about the electricals of the t being too unreliable. I like the many things available on the t that can't be had on the 3.2. When you list the problems with that eBay t coupe you tested a lot of it seemed bad care and maintenance but a bit seemed electrical gremlins at work. What is your view on the t's electricals and things to watch for? Thanks in advance.

15. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #17 hank sound, Jun 21, 2008
    I'll just put it this way - - based on what I saw in the pics, if I were an electrical gremlin, I'd grab the rest of my gremlin family - - and move into that "living space" in a flash. There seems to be an abundance of vacancies available:(

We generally get what we pay for. I know, there are occasionally some pretty good deals available on some very good cars but again, if paying less for a certain model than anyone else has paid is the priority, we'll probably get a whole lot less car in the process - - one that Mr. & Mrs. Gremlin and their 22 kids call home:(

I've had Rachel for close to four years and we drive regularly - - Thank God, the gremlins live elsewhere:)

Cheers,

Hank

16. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I know Rachel is a beautiful example of a t that anyone would be lucky to find a twin of. But in retrospect what little things have annoyed you about the t's design and put together?

17. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #19 hank sound, Jun 21, 2008
    Rob, that was an interesting title to your post.

What came to mind was ---------- if I had five "important" things that I wish would have been different, Rachel would not be with me. Apply that same posturing to the selection of the woman we choose (hope to) to be with us forever.

My only gripe, and it led to Rachel's inspiration for me to develop a product for owners of not only Mondials but other Spider models as well, was the fact that - - - dealing with the factory top is ##%&**@@@#$##!!!!!! Get it?

Other than my "gift of a problem" from my Rachel, I can't, no matter how hard I try, find four other things to cry about. Even my motorized seat belt anchors (Melvin & Kelvin) are delights. Hell, the car even has tons of room all over the place:)

I will say this --- the "t" is a most amazing vehicle. The engine (given regular and proper support) is BULLET PROOF!!!! The "t" car has unique features that only showed up with the debut of the 355 models.

I love talking about this car - any questions you folks have, I'll answer as best I can :)

Cheers, Hank

18. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    #20 davebdave, Jun 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
    Hank I love your response!

I will throw my 2 cents into the pot.

The car is indeed fantastic, but,

The top latches are a pain
    I wouldn't mind another 50 hp.
    I do not like the design of the engine access panel behind the rear seats (looks like an afterthought, perhaps designed by an intern an Ferrari)
    I can't take it to a track because there is no roll bar (Some seat hoops would be nice)
    That darn factory exhaust has got to go!!!

Ciao, Dave

19. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Part of owning a classic is living with the original specs. But could a mass aftermarket effort by a group of Mondial Cabrio owners lead to an interesting compromise/fix? What would need to be retooled? I wonder if Ferrari had considered it before ending the model run in 1993.

20. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    If this is true, did the guys who assembled them in the wrong position at the factory get the wiring switched over so as to work correctly? I'd have figured the light covers would be standard throughout.

21. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W

The top itself is a piece of cake to raise and lower. Seals pretty well too. The problem is the latches, especially if you leave the top down for awhile and it shrinks. I would be interested in a latch replacement if anyone comes up with one. I have been looking for one that might work. I would want to design a bracket so that no new holes would be drilled in the car and the original latches could still be replaced if desired.

Dave

22. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    I'm on it, my friend:)

Cheers, Hank

23. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Sweet, my wife will love you if you work it out!
    Dave