New Hamilton Quotes "spoiler" | Page 3 | FerrariChat

New Hamilton Quotes "spoiler"

Discussion in 'F1' started by smart_alek, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #51 Mark(study), Jun 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
    Any track that can turn a red light on, and stop the top 4 drivers dead-in-their-tracks during a race... is a track that does not belong in F1

Now, do it in 3 races (all in recent memory) to 3 different lead drivers... and tell me that its the driver, not the track, that has a serious problem!

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    What a very strange post ... ??

Yes it was sad to see one of the great tracks lacking maintenance but the fact that all you one-eyed LH fans are forgetting is red flag/light means stop.

What would happen if LH is racing and a massive accident occurs and the red flags/lights come out? ... would he continue like an idiot and crash into the already injured driver and kill him, or maybe the ambulance ... and all you fools would blame the track or the other driver.

LH made a massive and very dangerous mistake. He is lucky he didn't have his super license removed. All F1 drivers need to go back to school and relearn the friggin rules before they kill somebody! LH should sit at the front of the class, wide fncken awake for once.
    Pete

3. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #53 Mark(study), Jun 9, 2008

Sorry...I"m not a LH fan. ( He's too much like Tiger Woods, make winning look easy, probably going to win way too many races over his career, like MS, and make the sport dull to watch). But back to my question...

I just hate B.S. rules that ruin the race at 15 minutes in.... after I've set aside some nice time to watch a good F1 race.

CAN anyone tell me where and when... they have seen a pack of F1 cars at a dead-stop, during a F1 race over the last 10 years ???

I'm the only one ??? that thinks F1 should be about going fast, and not about coming to a complete stop on the track, during a race, because of traffic? (sure, I've sat through 1000's of safety car laps...but cars stopped on the track? I just haven't been lucky enough to see that before in F1)

Sorry guys.... but this track has screwed 3 leaders in the last 10 years with this same issue. I can't think of any other track that has this problem...over and over again?

Blame LH all you want ( or the Ferrari driver that did it last year or JPM who did it a few years before that) ....but I think you are all on the wrong topic....YES LH DIDN"T SEE THE RED LIGHT IN TIME...but what is more interesting is why can't they fix the circuit and get rid of the need for a red light at pit exit, if it keeps screwing-up races year after year?

Anther 20 post about how dumb LH is ..... is just not very interesting to read. How about some creative ideas (from the smart crowd around here) about fixing the need for a red light at this track?.... NOW THAT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO READ.

Thanks

4. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John

you're being too harsh on Lewis again Pete, he just forgot that McL aren't using Ferrari brakes this year :D

although you could make a case that he was using Kimi's Ferrari's brakes to stop :)

550PFB, that was what I was alluding to when steve asked the question although I must admit from the pitlane exit to the pack , is it a free-for-all or are they admitted to the track on the first arrived first permitted rule ?

5. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    go back ONE race, Monaco, FA had them all banked up at the hairpin

6. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #56 Mark(study), Jun 9, 2008
    Good point. Racing in the rain....But it seems Canada has this problem on a completely dry track during ideal weather conditions.

F1 in the rain, is by-far the best racing I've seen in the last 10 years. At least we get to see some passing that's not in the pits.

7. LongJohnSilver

LongJohnSilver Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2006
    Gainesville FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #57 LongJohnSilver, Jun 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is the portion of the track map that shows Canada's pit lane. As you can see pit lane is actually shorter than the track. When you combine this with a slow safety car, it means that it is as fast or faster to drive through the pit lane and stop for ~10 seconds than it is to drive along the track behind the SC.

Every track has the red light. It is used before every session to show when the cars are allowed to enter the track. It is also used to stop cars from leaving pit lane at a time when they would enter the track while the rest of the field is passing behind the SC. Getting rid of the red light would potentially make it advantageous to pit. Without it, teams would probably just drive through the pit lane instead of staying behind the SC. You could probably pick a few positions. You may even be able to pass the SC. Then what? You get to drive around and get a lap on the whole field? The red light is obviously necessary.

The only way to make it so that this issue doesn't arise is to modify the track layout. You can either lengthen the pit lane or shorten the track. I've never been there, but from what I understand, the track is on a cramped island and space is at a premium. So I doubt you could really lengthen it.

Do you really want to modify the track layout? Change T1, one of the best places to pass, just to avoid a red light?

The rules are clear. You don't leave pit lane when the light is red. The light didn't ruin the driver's races over the past few years. The rule didn't do it either. Nor did the track layout. The dumbasses between the sidepods did.

-edit

Another track where this same phenomenon could be seen (if F1 ever visited there again) is Donington. The pitlane is significantly shorter than the final corner and front straight. In 1993, Senna pitted for slicks on a drying track. As he entered the pit lane the rain returned and he decided not to stop. This was pre-pit lane speed limit (with mechanics helmetless in shorts as well) so of course he set fastest lap. This was and still is the track record. Pit lane speed limits were introduced soon after.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #58 PSk, Jun 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
    Thank you, somebody who finally understands or has read a racing handbook.

The red light is there on every fncken track, or if not there a flaggie will use a red flag. It is NOT just there for safety car issues, it is there for any issue when they want to stop the cars dead! You must surely understand that at all times the clerk of the course needs to have the ability to stop all drivers if he feels the need. I used to be a flaggie, so I've seen many club races red flagged to a stop ... and no pitlane or safety car issue at all, just a massive prang where the clerk of the course decided saving the drivers life was more important than some stupid little race, so he quite rightly killed the fun so the ambulance, etc. could get to the driver completely unhindered. I can assure you when you need to call the helicopter in, the race is not continuing ... it's red flagged.

LH fncked your race Mark(study) not the track. If LH had stopped like a properly trained super-license holding driver then your race would have continued. Blaming anything or anybody else is like a trademen blaming his tools ...
    Pete

9. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Posted by LongJohnSilver
    "The rules are clear. You don't leave pit lane when the light is red. The light didn't ruin the driver's races over the past few years. The rule didn't do it either. Nor did the track layout. The dumbasses between the sidepods did."

Superb! NO ifs, ands or buts -

10. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #60 Julio Batista, Jun 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
    You must be kidding! If Alonso had run a red light and taken Kimi out this board would have immediately crashed, and Rob would have been forced to massively upgrade the Fchat servers.

As for Hamilton being the best driver, that is of course debatable, although winning WDC's is usually the basis for that kind of assertion.

11. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 to infinite..

12. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well look forward to alot of miserable weekends then, lets have a look you must have been pretty sick Monaco weekend, and then when he stuck it on pole in Canada, so I see it as you were happy for what!!! half of Sunday what a miserable life.

I will stoop to your level then DC...and where was Webber ....remind me.

This is what gets me as I said in a earlier post:
    Quite a few folk crawl out the woodwork to ridicule when Lewis messes up, but alas guess what nowhere to be seen when he sticks it on pole or wins like at Monaco.. Well hang around long enough and the ridicule will come your way..
    Fortunately there are people on here that do see things from a level perspective, instead of mentally retarded hate filled posts.

13. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Another great post, asking all the right questions, with humour, and without any insult directed at those who disagree (like calling their posts "mentally retarded"). Thank you.

14. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    John's got a excuse, he's Aussie what's yours...

15. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Oi!

Psk is a Kiwi, leave the Aussies alone Stevo or we'll make you drink cold beer :D

Webber has finished in the points most races this year and DC has been lucky to see the top 10, DC is one of the greatest UNDERACHIEVERS of all time !!

He had more opportunities to win a WDC by being in the best cars for many years and only managed to support his teammates

Webber has outdriven all his teammates

16. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    I don't need one.:)

17. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    You check YOUR facts, Hamilton was classified 2nd in the WDC rankings, Alonso 3rd.

18. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    That is correct, but with the same number of points, and obscene favoritism from a certain crane, the racing authorities, and his own team.

19. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    IMHO, Hammi is just getting a bit arrogant. oh well, so have other drivers :D

20. Brakefade

Brakefade Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Luis
    More insightful quotes from Mr. Hamilton.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68181

21. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

The whole key to this is the speed limiter in pit lane. Once you reach the pits, it IS a sort of a free for all, as long as they don't speed.

You hit the box, you refuel and take tires, and you peel out, subject to the speed limit. The first one to the line is the first one out. Second to the line is the second out, and so on. HOWEVER, the cars going out still have to line up behind the field. The Red Light is there to allow the cars remaining on track to pass the pit exit, so the cars in exiting the pits can fall in behind. This is what happened with Coulthard. He was on a one-stopper anyway. All the guys ducked into the pits and he held position on track. Kubica came out behind him and Coulthard led the race for a short time. Later Kubica and Heid passed DC, but his race was made because he was on a one-stopper and the SC came out at the opportune time--allowing DC to move ahead while the guys who pitted had to fall in line--a LONG LINE--behind him.

Think about this . . . if these were not the rules, then presumably Kimi could take on enough fuel to finish the race, take on tires, even take on a new nose cone with Massa stacked behind him. Massa could then do the same--taking plenty of time. Then, they exit and, and . . . and what--do they get to return to their track position? (NO) Do they get to jump out in front of a guy that just took on a splash of fuel and was not stacked in the pit box? (No).

Even with the safety car out, pit lane is a free for all, because there are safety rules in place in pit lane which protects the safety of the drivers. (That was a mouthful.)

22. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    True.

What everybody seems to overlook though is that Kimi and Kubica were side by side in the pitlane. We've seen this before and I think it was never penalised but IIRC this is not allowed. Someone should have given way and I think it should have been Kimi/Ferrari. This point is now moot (?) because of the accident.

Kimi should have lined up behind Kubica so that Lewis could avoid hitting both of them by passing them. But now I'm talking nonsense! :D

23. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ermm, now lets not confuse the issue talking sense...;)

So your saying LH saved kimi from a penalty for passing Kubica...:D

24. kescape

kescape Karting

Nov 11, 2003
  25. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It is amazing how many Boo's hamilton got each time he showed his head at Montreal. The new breed of Hamilton fans at Montreal really knew nothing about F1. But I bet they know alot more about the NBA than I do.