Scud vs. CS plus 550 | FerrariChat

Scud vs. CS plus 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by bobbyd, Jun 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Here is the question. I'm on the list for a new Scud @ MSRP. It will cost me about $120k inclusive of taxes to trade up from my current CS. That's the cost of a nice 550. So I would like to hear from all you 550 owners if the Maranello is good enough to pass on the Scud, and to have in combo w/the CS. I realize that the limiting factor in giving an opinion on this is that very few have driven a Scud to this point. Thanks in advance.

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I dont know the Scud but i know the Stradale and the 550 Maranello and i think they are the finest pair you can have. Ideally the 550 would be a Barchetta..

3. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I'm biased, as I am completely in love with both the 360Cs and 550......but there's my answer. Hands down, not even one moment's thought.

I haven't driven a Scud yet....but I wouldn't care anyway.

4. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Get a 550 Barchetta, and keep the CS, forget the scud.

5. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I put 8000 miles on my CS and have logged a bunch of miles on a few 550's and 575's. I drove the Scuderia about 2 weeks ago. I think the Scuderia is a good car. Does everything well, but it lacks the visceral race car feel of the CS. I would would defiantly have a CS and 550/575 than a single Scuderia. You will get to choose two vastly different driving styles.

Keith

6. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    #6 nerd, Jun 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    #7 GaryReed, Jun 10, 2008
    I just bought this fully optioned 2000 yesterday for under $110K.

Would love to have a CS in my garage to go with it too. Skip the SCUD, buy a 550 with the money and keep your CS.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #8 synchro, Jun 10, 2008
    While I initially thought that the same as those above,
    my mind was changed when I first saw the SCUD in person a week+ ago.

The SCUD is striking, probably limited production and it is a chain driven engine, no belts required for cam operation.
    The sound rivals your CS!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. dysko

dysko Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2005
    Altus
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That is a nice car. It is the first ferrari 12 that I ever rode in (yes that exact car, assuming it is the one you have pictured).

10. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    It really depends on how you plan to drive them. 2 certainly give you more options. The 550 is a great car and the better GT car (for longer trips). I love the CS, have not seen the Scud yet.

I would be inclined to keep the CS and add a V12 as I feel the 550 is a more versatile car (which suits me but maybe not you).

Honestly, no bad choices in this one :)

-dsd

11. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    CS + 550 for me (actually a 575 but no different really). 2 weeks ago I did a 2600 mile road trip in the 575. Have 20k on the CS too, mostly day trips and track miles. Can't imagine having only 1 or the other. Not that I would never want a scud, just that they will be around for a long time to come and there will be plenty of time to try one later. For now I enjoy best of both worlds.

scud is not limited production btw

12. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    #12 gatorgreg, Jun 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
    I currently have a 575 and 355 Challenge car. I am looking at the 360CS. My question is, if I buy a CS will I get tired of it? I already have the two extremes, track car V8 and GT 12. I also live in florida where the roads are flat. I drive my 575 often for short trips. My 355 is street legal but never driven on the street; its just too raw for me to enjoy, not to mention, no A/C, radio etc, don't forget the ear plugs. Talk about loud.
    My other question is, Is the 360 CH as good as everyone says it is? I have driven quite a few miles on a 360. I liked it. I thought it was a fun car, but is the CS that much better? When I look at a CS, I see two cars, a 360 Challenge ($90) and a 360 ($100).
    Any input welcomed.

As far as the scud goes. I am just not interested. If I had the money to blow and I did not care i would buy it, add it to my collection. You can't lose. When I see a scud's lap times and price, I think 360CS and driving lessons are cheaper. My two cents. Good luck.

13. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    :):)

It's manic. And I was riding, not driving.

If you already have what you say you have, it might seem old news to you, but I would imagine that the CS is worth the risk to anyone. I don't see how your blood doesn't boil just sitting in it...

It's more drivable than the V8 you currently have.

As far as the original thread topic:

Dude, don't jump on the laptime bandwagon that is the Scuderia. Buy a 550 for the morning cruise, keep the CS for the weekend. Enjoy yourself twice as much and look twice as good--not because you have twice the cars, but because the Scud looks about like its abbreviated name sounds. The 550 and CS are driving and cosmetic icons of an era.

And do buy a Barchetta.

14. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    That is the most complete two car garage I have ever seen. :)

15. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Best solution...

Scuderia + 575M

16. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Thanks! I cheated a bit though. My 550 went to a gentleman in Las Vegas (ScuderiaLV on FerrariChat) last December and I now have a 1966 Jaguar E-type OTS. Quite a contrast in technology!

17. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Great idea if you want 2 classic cars. Technology advances so fast now with electronics that never before has the gap between a predecessor and succesor model been so gaping. Shifting in CS seems primitive compared with 430S. Gap between 550 and 599 is absolutely huge. Nothing wrong with CS and 550. Load up on CD's from 2004 and enjoy. For me I would rather have 1 current model or a real classic like a Daytona.

18. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    NOT EVEN CLOSE . get the scud. after driving the scud the cs will be only a memory

19. scott40

scott40 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2006
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Will the CS just become an "old car", nothing special, in yrs to come? Seems like it has a cult following now, but perhaps once the scuds are out and start to trade hands, the CS will not be very desirable. Thoughts?

20. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    have driven both cars and currently have a scuderia. not even close scud hands down is a better car all around by a mile

21. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    CS will always be special now and future regardless the SCUDs are out starting trading hands. I haven't driven a SCUD but my CS gives me wide smiles after every drives on public road or on race track.

22. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    WOW.........

23. scott40

scott40 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2006
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Scott
    But it costs $200k+ more so it should be "better" in some ways.

24. bayareaferrari

bayareaferrari Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2004
    California
    go with a 550 and the CS..

Wait on the SCUD, you will be able to get one later. You can not beat the 550/575 in style and performance. To trade here and there between a 550 and CS will be a real treat.

25. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I disagree.
    And if you take a look on this board you will find that those who have had both on the track at the same time all say the CS was the better car. And the better track car.

I will agree that the Scuderia is an all around better car. Easily could be used as a daily driver. Thus in my mind, defeating the entire purpose of what the car is.