Diecast Stores ? | FerrariChat

Diecast Stores ?

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by laudaman, Jun 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    hello to all, i had a quick question that has been on my mind for a while now. When i buy diecast cars, i usually always buy online, quite basically because i have not seen a store in michigan that caters to exotic diecast. Yes, you may find a 1:18 diecast at target, but chances are its not an exotic. My question is, is there any stores in michigan that cater to dicast cars or model cars? Many hobby shops around my area have closed. I would love to find a place that sells model and diecast cars in michigan, but have not heard of any? Can someone please help me with this? thanks and take care.

--chris--

2. suggett48116

suggett48116 Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2007
    Brighton,Michigan
    Full Name:
    Carl
    #2 suggett48116, Jun 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
    The Auto Zone hobby shop has a o.k. selection

Call and ask if they got want you need. 248-646-2886

33202 Woodward Ave.
    Birmingham,MI 48009

3. GerryYlwF355

GerryYlwF355 Rookie

Oct 31, 2007
    Troy, MI
    Full Name:
    Gerry Carbonell
    #3 GerryYlwF355, Jun 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
    Hi chris!

I buy most of my exotic diecast collection @ Great Lakes Hobby and Train located @ Van Dyke, Utica (Tel #: 586 232-1300)...i believe is between 19 mile and M59 on the the west side of the road...since they have moved to a new location...beside smokers outlet??? a little north of kart to kart. They have the best collection from all the other hobby stores I have been here in michigan. Do you ever go to toronto? check out Autobahn @ sherway gardens mall. They have the a good collection of exotic diecast and apparel. Check out their website! Good Luck!

4. JEC_31

JEC_31 Karting

Mar 20, 2008
    Grand Rapids, Mich.
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Usually the hobby stores are the local source for good diecast.

One interesting outlet is mobile: the booths that travel around to car shows with tons of shiny mass-produced made-in-China cars, some of which are actually decent quality.

I know what you mean about Target, they occasionally have some great finds but never stock a lot of each. Meijers is the same way.

KB Toys in my local mall usually has a bunch of die-cast musclecars, once in while a few exotics.

Where are you in Mich?

5. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    thanks for all the help everyone ! it is greatly appreciated. i have a fairly good size collection but hate ordering online. unfortunatley, i dont live near any of those shops, as i live in allen park,michigan. target is okay when they are stocked, otherwise its a waste of gas. i am looking for a place with model cars and diecast that i can go to and know they will have SOME cars. it kind of bugs me that stores arent the way they used to be anymore. thanks just my opinion but i have no hobby shops in town as ryders hobby has no diecast, and a fairly good selection at a hobby store in wyandotte has closed. thanks for all the help ! take care.

--chris--

6. miboxer96

miboxer96 Karting

Jul 9, 2007
    SE Michigan
    Full Name:
    LTN
    Chris,

It might be worth the trip to head up to St Clair Shores. Whistle Stop Hobby on Harper between 8 & 9 Mile has a lot of models, and Die Cast.

The have an entire aisle of models; car, boat, and planes, and they have a good number of diecast too.

I plan to head over there soon to buy some things. I haven't built a model since I was a teen, and I was in heaven when I stopped in there to Christmas shop for my daughter.

7. jeff3825

jeff3825 Karting

Feb 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I drove by great Lakes Hoony on VanDyke today and it looks as if it is out of business. Just an FYI.

8. miboxer96

miboxer96 Karting

Jul 9, 2007
    SE Michigan
    Full Name:
    LTN

http://www.whistle-stop.com/

Here is their website.

9. GerryYlwF355

GerryYlwF355 Rookie

Oct 31, 2007
    Troy, MI
    Full Name:
    Gerry Carbonell
    Great Lake Hobby and Train has moved to a bigger and better location south of M-59 west of VanDyke....check it out!
    Whistle stop on harper dont' carry exotic die cast models but do carry model kit for do-it-yourself hobby.

10. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    thanks for all the help! is anyone familiar with any stores in the metro-detroit area? thanks again!

--chris--

11. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Autozone Books and Hobbies isn't "that" far from you in Allen park.... come out tomorrow in the early AM, and see lots of cool cars too ;)

12. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i will be there? are you serious about the cars? i havent seen an exotic in ages !