308 HEADS STUCK FAST | FerrariChat

308 HEADS STUCK FAST

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rizzo308, Jun 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    removed my engine for a major removed all cyl heads nuts but man them heads are stuck fast !!!!! i don't think the have ever been off before.... i will suspend one of the heads couple off mm off the ground over nite with the wieght of the block may help?? give it a shot in morning.... what's the best way to tackle it any input please ............ cheers in advance

2. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    #2 350HPMondial, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Spray studs with AeroKroil,,, wait 3 days,,, run around the block three times,,,, shout to our God "Enzo!",,, place 2 X 4 in good spot,, hammer with a BIG hammer.

Repeat.

Good Luck,
    Edwardo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Cheers mate!! will try your method in morning

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #4 BigTex, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
    Just be careful........lots of time....wood wedges....don't pry the castings!

There's a plate puller out there also.........it is the corrosion at the studs you are fighting, as well as the gaskets seals.....so focus on penetrants down the studs.

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #5 mk e, Jun 19, 2008
  6. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    Looks very sweet! Much better than hammers and wedges...I never liked that. So you crank a little at a time to prevent any distortion, correct?

7. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #7 mk e, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
    Yes, 1/2 a turn all the way around then repeat until the head is off. Pulling both heads took about 15-20 minutes after the puller was made, and these heads were STUCK. Making the puller took about 2 hours I think.

Pulling the heads on my QV engine with a BIG hammer and wedges took 18 hours of work. Making a puller for QV is much harder becasue the bolts are under the cams.

8. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    #8 Pizzaman Chris, Jun 19, 2008
    3lb hammer and a trusty 2x4 :D 3 hours tops.

Good luck Rizzo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hey Mark,
    What do you push against using the puller? I'm assuming the puller bolts up to the head, then some big bolts go through the puller and push against something....the head bolts?? I would love some more detailed pictures.

Birdman

10. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Not sure if this will apply, but I have used, on my alfa 4 cyl, the famous rope trick. Very safe on soft alum alloy parts, no stripping of spark plug hole threads, no steel whatsoever. The rope trick amazed me, and the stubborn head just popped loose!!

Joe

11. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The puller plate is attached to the head using the cam cap & cam cover studs. The push bolts go thru the plate & press against the ends of the head studs. Presumably the points on the push bolt ends are to keep the push bolts from slipping around on/off of the studs.

Pizzaman, your studs were atypical, IIRC, they had almost zero corrosion on them.

12. blainewest

blainewest Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    What?....What is the rope trick?

13. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    update! the head i am working on has moved about 1 mm i'll keep chipping away at it slowly slowly..... cheers for all you input guys

14. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The puller plate is attached to the head using the cam cap & cam cover studs. The push bolts go thru the plate & press against the ends of the head studs. Presumably the points on the push bolt ends are to keep the push bolts from slipping around on/off of the studs.

Pizzaman, your studs were atypical, IIRC, they had almost zero corrosion on them.

15. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Rope trick coulda had it out like......POP!

16. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Again, Im not saying it will work on all cars, it will depend on how the pattern of firing order is on that engine, maybe some expert on that will weigh in to jhelp out here....

It works best if the firing order is symmetrical, meaning, that the 2 middle cylinders go up, while the 2 outer go down, if you get me.

Remove plugs, put car in gear, and roll car just so that the 2 middle cylinders are down. then, stuff by hand, a cloth rope, about width of small finger, into the spark plug hole of both middle cylinders, until no more rope fits in there. The idea is to then rock the car back/forth forcing the cylinders to press onto the rope in middle cylinders, pushing on the head. You can, I believe, choose to use the 2 outer cylinders as well. Same symmetry. No stripped spark plug holes, no wedges, no milling steel .

Of course, if your ferrari's firing order is not this way, this may not work. We need to verify this 1st.

Do at your own risk, as with anything.......

Joe

17. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    #17 rizzo308, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
    after 4 hrs i have removed the first head ... i tried for 1 hr on the second head didn't even budge a 1/2 a mill......bolloxs to that am not gonna go though all that crap agian with blocks of wood so i will make up a pullers same as set up above .... look like a piece of p#ss cheers

18. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    #18 rizzo308, Jun 20, 2008
  19. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
  20. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    riggo,

If you get really desperate, In the old Fchat archives, another Aussie describes making a 'deep hole saw' out of thin wall steel tubing w/ID same as the stud OD. Chucked it into a drill, used lots of cutting fluid & 'sawed' down thru the corrosion. I can't remember the specifics, or what problems this approach created.

21. JEC_31

JEC_31 Karting

Mar 20, 2008
    Grand Rapids, Mich.
    Full Name:
    Josh

Wow. That's utterly insane.

But it's crazy enough to work... and F-car's flat-plane crank V8s are just twin 4-bangers.

22. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #22 Martin308GTB, Jun 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
    Hello from Germany,

that rope trick regularly makes me worrying. I hear / read it all the time but know noone in person who actually did it. Sometimes I believe, that it's an urban legend.

I also have an Alfa 4-cyl. ( '72 2000 GTV ) as well as my 308 GTB. And fortunately my Alfa head always came off without the rope trick, though a torture for my back.
    But removal of the head of the Alfa is a completely different issue, than with the Ferrari.
    While it's possible to do a head gasket job on the Alfa within 4 hrs. from the beginning till the car is back on the road, a 308 head job is a matter of days, or weeks with - in most cases - engine out. Therefore no pushing the car in gear back and forth.
    And I don't know, whether one can apply enough force by cranking the engine on the pulley. But if someone wants to try it, the most important point is - and I miss it in your posting - , that the valves of the cylinders you fill with rope are CLOSED. Say, removal of the camshafts first. Or you will end up installing a new set of valves and valve guides.
    An additional point, why I would never use the rope trick, is, that you should definitely avoid upward movement of any pistons while the head is loose. This does NOT apply, if you want to pull the liners anyway. But if it's just a head gasket job, upward movement of pistons can lead to permanent leaks on the lower O-Rings of the liners. Then you have to pull the liners, install new O-Rings.........
    Therefore never crank an engine with 'wet liners' while the head is off.
    I think, that this rope trick can lead to more problems, than it solves. Unless it's an engine which needs a complete rebuild anyway.

Best Regards

Martin

23. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    so here's where i am.... after trying for 3hrs even with a puller i made up the head moved 1mm then locked up solid only option now is to do as verell suggested i will machine a thin wall hole saw to remove all crap down the side of head studs ...

24. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Sounds like a fantasy. Making the "hole saw" could be harder than you think. You could end up with something stuck between the head and the stud.

I've pulled V12 Jaguar heads with the 1/2" steel plate puller that I made that had to be stuck worse than a 308 (several more studs!). If you have it on there straight, have it attached everywhere you can to the head, and pull evenly (1/4 turn on each bolt), I don't know how you can fail.

25. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The other option is to use a hacksaw and cut off the cylinder head studs between the head and the block. Then you have to weld nuts to the remainder of the studs in order to unscrew them from the block.