Help! Problem with power door locks - 348 | FerrariChat

Help! Problem with power door locks - 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by jqpd99, Jul 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    Hi All,

I have an issue with my power door locks where if I have both doors open, the door locks actuate continuously until I close the doors and they lock. If I then unlock with the key, it will immediately lock when I remove the key.

A bit of background - the driver door has been removed (for bodywork) and re-installed... when I applied power, the power-window would not operate (and the red door light would work intermittently) so I went through the procedure to replace the pins in the door jamb connector and this resolved both issues however I had not tested the door locks yet.

If I disconnect the connector inside the door that leads to the door lock on the driver's door, the passenger door lock reverts to operating normally... lock and unlocks with the controls inside the car and the same if I use the key. This leads me to believe there is nothing wrong with the door jamb connector on the passenger door.

If I reconnect the connector in the driver door and get inside the car (and the doors lock), the unlock control unlocks the door but the door immediately locks.

I have searched the archives and found two suggestions that I've already tried, I tested the pushbuttons in the lower hinge of the door to make sure they work and I've removed the power door lock module for inspection and to make sure I can hear it click when I operate the door lock controls.

Hope I've captured everything and I hope someone can shed some light onto this problem.

Thanks
    DF

2. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Sounds like a short to me.

3. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    #3 Saint Bastage, Jul 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
    I found the dancing door locks to be a mechanical issue in my car. The inside door panel does not fit as tightly as it did new. Once in a while the pasenger side panel slides slightly towards the rear causing interference with the door lock shaft. This interference prevents the shaft from reaching full open (unlock position) thereby causing the power mechanism to believe you are trying to lock the door again. Attempt to slide the inner door panel forward by "slapping" it with your palm. I've also grabbed the passenger lock and wiggled it while attempting to unlock. Both have worked.

Mine is passenger side, yours might not be.

Good luck

4. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    I think so too but I can't find it... the interior is not yet installed on this car so I took the opportunity to verify the whole wiring harness. I took the tape off the main harness and verified every strand of wire to check its insulation... everything looks good. I also disconnected the harness in the passenger door jamb to see if anything in there was causing the issue but it didn't change anything... the driver door unlocks then immediately locks.

I'll do some more checking tomorrow.

DF

5. Racing Snake

Racing Snake Rookie

Dec 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Mine does this sometimes too.
    I also attributed this to the passenger side.
    The locks continuously try to 'lock the car, but if you have one of the doors open it just cycles until you shut the door, then it will stay locked.

Although I don't know the technical explaination, I found that by closing the passenger 'harder than normal' meant it didn't do it again.
    So far so good!

6. jkuk

jkuk Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    Full Name:
    John K
    I have exactly the same problem, and its the passenger door causing the problem.

I have never been able to figure out the root cause, some days it works, then its back to the auto locking routine.

very embarrassing when you are trying to let a passenger out of the car as the lock never wants to stay up !!!

I always leave the passenger window open so I can pull the interior door lock upwards, it then seems to reset itself after several attempts

7. kgalgas

kgalgas Rookie

Mar 20, 2008
    Agoura, CA
    Full Name:
    Kerri
    I have the same problem. And do not try to use the key to stop it, the lock continued to cycle as I turned the key and I broke the plastic piece in the door. The kit cost $150 and I spend a couple hours taking outside panels, and internal panels off the door to replace the piece, as you need a straight shot to get it on.

8. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Trust me...its even more embarrassing when your parked next to the Enzo at the Hartford Concours. You look like an idiot slapping your car in front of 30 or 40 onlookers. Sheesh....

9. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    The door jambs is where I would be looking on either side. Sometimes the connector degrades due to years of flexing. Mine still are weird but I live with it. :)

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Mine acted somewhat similarly. It was interference between the drivers door window regulator "tail" and it contacting with the door lock actuator rod. I used some wire ties to secure the window regulator "tail" so it would no longer touch the actuator rod.

I had to run the window up and down to figure out what was causing the problem, as it was not doing this all the time, and took a bit of time to figure out.

11. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    Wow... it seems like a common enough problem to warrant finding a fix for it...

I'll get back on it tonight... I'm thinking my problem is in the driver's door as it has been removed/disturbed. I am thinking of removing the door lock mechanism for inspection/cleaning.

DF