Any 288 GTO's for sale? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Any 288 GTO's for sale?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by coachi, Jun 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    A good friend has one in Florida, sensational car to drive and just gorgeous to look at all day long :) I'll have a chance to drive it again next month, really looking forward to that as you can well imagine.

2. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    A good friend has one near me here in PA. Awesome car and i consider myself lucky to have spent a considerable amount of time in the passenger seat

3. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas

Chris, if its the one near pittsburgh and its the owners I'm thinking of, that doesn't surprise me....great guys.....and a great example.

4. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Nope, not that one. This one is on the other side of PA :)

5. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    If you own any of the other Ferrari Supercars, you'll probably know someone or several people who have a GTO - it comes with the territory.

But how many can actually say they own one?

6. f355red

f355red Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    K-town NC
    Full Name:
    todd tanner
    yes, that was it. i think he only track races it. i will see him at beach event in aug. and i will ask him. he drives the 599 to events

7. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    Is the 599 the same one for sale at FCI right now? thanks.

8. Francesco_Baracca

Francesco_Baracca Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    As far as I know, Cosby still has here in MA.

9. ms.gto

ms.gto Formula Junior

May 17, 2008
    Mornington Peninsula
    Full Name:
    andrew tregurtha
    Check out VDV Grant Belgium website. Good luck

10. f355red

f355red Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    K-town NC
    Full Name:
    todd tanner
    is it red? if so then i believe it is.

11. F328GTS/GTB

F328GTS/GTB Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Denis
  12. tohubohu

tohubohu Karting

Jun 23, 2008
    NY NY
    Full Name:
    John Ford
    These could be redundant--ran into them them while shopping for a different car--one in south Jersey, another in a collection at Islip airport in NY.

13. PRS29

PRS29 Karting

Dec 5, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Eilon
    I know of one that will be advertised soon. Here in the US... east coast. :)

As someone has already mentioned... its a sellers market on that car, and the prices are high. For quite a while the 288GTO was selling for less than the F40, and now it seems that they have switched... considering the vast spread in production numbers between them... I guess it makes sense. Maybe the 288GTO was considered less of an "icon" because of both the timing of its release, and that it looked like a 308GTB that has been drinking protein shakes (I think its a gorgeous car), whereas the F40 looks like a supercar (along with its rivalry with the Porsche 959).

14. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    I inquired about the one for sale in Paris; they expect to get 475,000 euros for that one...roughly 700K plus transport, duties, etc...

15. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    I thought Ron Spangler told me he co-owned it with Tom. But, maybe my memory is fading....

Steve

16. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    There must be a lot of dumb money then....

Steve

17. gt2-josh

gt2-josh Karting

Sep 9, 2004
  18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  19. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you think this is stupid money, just wait till you see what they go for in a few years...

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    There are many reasons a young engine might have to be rebuilt, but in this case I am told it was purely elective (which is better than if it blew itself up!). This is Jon Masteron's old car and it lived in California briefly from new, but was never registered so do your due-diligence before assuming it can come back easily.

21. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    I have found one nice example of a 288 GTO in France. However, I am totally unaware of what is involved in importing a car into the USA. I know transportation would be an expense, but what about duties, and federalization? How old must the car be before it can be imported without altering it to conform to EPA and DOT?

22. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    Thanks for the info Joe.
    I kinda figured that was the case, but thought one of you guys here would have a little more info for me.
    Sure is a nice car.

23. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Figure 50K-75K for the cat etc stuff you need to put on and to get it thru Federalization. The bill for my car back in '85 was 25K, hence my guess of 50-75. Its 25 years, so in 2010 in theory you can bring one in "more easily" on the EPA side, but as I understand it you still have to deal with the DOT stuff to do with lights and door bars etc. I am by NO means an expert on this subject. If you are serious about bringing one in, PM me and I can put you in touch with a friend/dealer on the east coast that has just bought an EU GTO for himself and is doing this right now.

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Besides the expense, AND the time to jump through all the bureaucratic BS hoops (I am told by some who have done it that it can take a year), the physical/mechanical process that the cars go through is an unfortunate one indeed. In fact, the best cars - in my most humbled of personal opinions - are the ones that have all that stuff taken off and deposited out back in the dumpster. It isn't supposed to be on the car and I think it serves no purpose other than to make certain government entities happy.

Dan is right though, speak to someone who is actually going through this process right now before attempting it. I have imported cars into the USA in recent years. Never again, unless its a car old enough where there are no EPA/DOT reqs.

The other issue I have is that in the current economic climate I have a hard time shopping in Europe or in Asia with dollars that are... well, almost worthless :) The Europeans and others with stronger currencies are at an advantage shopping here though, and consequently a few cars have left our shores.