Classic Le Mans 2008 | FerrariChat

Classic Le Mans 2008

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Daytonafan, Feb 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Anyone going?

I'm going this year as a change for the "modern" Le Mans. Hopefully smaller crowds, less traffic round the circuit and no diesels! :) Shame it clashes with the Goodwood FOS but a good opportunity for the Daytona to stretch its legs.

2. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Yep I will be there, I have been to every one so far. It is gaining in popularity and is not so small now.
    Last one had I am sure ever Porche in the world there.
    Having said that, it is a great event.
    Are you parking on the Ferrari site ?

3. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Should be in the process of organising that now

4. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Excellent, I am doing mine now. I have booked ferries and we are staying near La Fleche with a crowd of Lotus chaps.
    After the race weekend we are staying over with some friends and then going to our gite for a couple of days or so.

Hope to see you there....

5. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson

Yup I'm going and should be taking the 308, unless I chicken out and do the easy thing, ie: take the Jag instead (I must be getting old).

I am with a mixed group of friends (Lotus, Marcos, Caterham...) and frankly they've made the bookings, so I'm just following their lead. I couldn't tell you where I'm staying, but they've been before and reckon it is a great place, where ever the heck it is! Nonetheless I'll be there somewhere.

David

6. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    David,

Let me know nearer the time and see if we can organise a beer or something, a couple of years ago a crowd of us took over a resturant after the racing had finished and had a great night.
    All being well I will have my car on the Ferrari pitch.
    Really looking forward to it now.

7. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    I am taking the BM 850 to the 24HRs and the F348 to the Classic.

Staying in Karting Nord with a couple of guys from Yorkshire. I did read somewhere that Ferraris would be allowed in-field parking but not sure how or where exactly?

And once parked up in the camp site, would I really feel bothered to move it ... it's not like it will look anything special amongst all the other outstanding Ferraris old and new that will be parked up.

8. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I park "inside" curcuit on the Ferrari pitch, apart from the first event when someone clipped my Fcar an the morning we were leaving.
    The first event in 2002 was great, they let me park my 155 Alfa in a competitors area, helped some guy fix his Morgan.
    However things have tighten up alot since then. I get my tickets from Peter Auto in Paris.
    From my experience all Fcars were very welcome, ha, I park my Mon there !!!!! People are great, I still keep in touch with a French guy with a Dino I meet there in 2006. It's a great event but it is getting bigger and slicker (and more expensive), I am going to give Spa a go next year.
    Having said that I am really looking forward to going again.

9. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson

Philjay50

Its getting very near the time! Setting off 2am tomorrow morning towards French France.

Hoping that the A1(M), A1, M1, M25, M23, A27 and the dammed cars behave themselves as we run for the Newhaven / Le Harve ferry. So far in this final the run up to this trip (and after ages of faultless running - may I point out) the 308 has needed a battery, k/s/r wheel bearing, 2 tyres and a last minute minor re-wire on the ignition switch!! I was within 1/2hour of having to take the Jag...

You're "really looking forward to it"... I'm looking forward to just getting there!

I've finished packing tools, so I suppose I must go and pack some clothes? Press on...

David

308 GTS carb

10. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    David, if you have not left yet, good luck, unfortunately I am having to leave my Fcar at home, its a long story, so I am taking my Alfa. I hope the road/ journey is good for you. My bother has just called from Ashford, says the weather going down was foul, I think it will be no better tomorrow, we are setting out silly O'clock in the morning to get the 14:00 ferry from Dover and staying in Rouen. There's a boat thing on so looking forward to a look around that.
    If this is the first time you have been in your Fcar and all goes well, it will be like 7th heaven, and the French love seeing them.
    Take care and enjoy .....

11. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson

I have just returned from the event and logged on. Yes foul weather in Southern England and Northern France. I found the 308 leaks like a sieve when left outdoors! I suspect blocked drain tubes from the front channel of the targa roof.

As we got further south there was fine weather, which allowed the leather to dry out... trouble is I now have a negative print, of a saturated leaflet that was lying on the passenger seat, bonded to that seat. I reckon it will rub off in due course?

The group got down and back okay with a couple of niggles:
    1) minor electrical gremlin on my 308 ignition switch AGAIN, 3 mins to fix.. After I rewired the switch before the trip, I refitted the minor instruents to the side of the switch, which I think pushed on the wiring behind and dragged it off the switch.
    2) The Lotus Esprit developed a grinding noise and vibration. On inspection we found the k/s/f brake pad pins had half come out allowing one pad to wander and rub on the hub and the anti-rattle clip to press on the disc, 20mins.
    AND then only 30 miles from the ferry home
    3) (my 308 again) the front bank exhaust pipe sheared through on a weld. But the brake was after the 4 to 1 collector and the engine was running smoothly enough (if loudly), so was cruised to the ferry and on to overnight halt at Bishops' Stortford. Next morning a £3 repair kit was fitted by National Tyres and I was able to cruise home okay. The exhaust is a 18month old stainless unit, there has already been a amicable discussion with the supplier.

Reckon I don't have to explain what a fantastic event it was, as you were there. But for anybody else: BIG MASSIVE HUGE clubs displays and paddocks, great track action and some seriously rare cars. Mind you if I never see another Porsche... HOW MANY? I'm guessing 1000?

I loved the traditional Le Mans start, even if they were then collected by a pace car for the real rolling start at the end of the first lap. I understand from friends, who went to the last one, that it is getting more corporate. I felt it was still pretty laid back.

We stayed on and had a few days in the Loire Valley. We were not alone, where-ever we went there were either curious French admiring the cars, or groups British classic sports cars waving back. It was quite amusing when the cars were parked up. Everybody knew the Ferrari, the Lotus Esprit and Seven were recognised, but you could see puzzled expressions and head scratching with the Marcos and TVR! They liked them, but hadn't a clue what they were.

Great trip...

David

12. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    Damm, I wish I could spell/type straight!

"But the BREAK was after the 4 to 1 collector..."

There, doesn't that makes more sense?

David

308 GTS carb

13. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    David, glad you enjoyed the event and that your problems were not serious. I really enjoyed myself yet again, although this year there were many more people. I was told at the ACO that there were 1100+ Posches. The clubs, especially Ferrari need to get there acts together on this one. Ferrari are particulary unhospitable, last time we were there, the FOC was next to the BMW pitch, my wife who loves football went over to check the scores, they have sat tv and was invited to stay have a drink and watch the game. Incidentally all FOC had was a bit of grass and a sign saying Ferrari, no joke.
    All in all a great event, without dought every petrol head should go to.
    Roll on 2010.

14. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson

Talking to a couple of Porsche guys, who we met at Bayeaux (after the show)... they were given the impression the Le Mans Classic might be about to go annual. So you might not have to wait to 2010?

The Ferrari stand was a bit thin, as was Lambourghini. But I never spent much time there, too much else to see.

I think might do Goodwood FOS next year, I haven't been for three years now and have missed it. It is a tricky one, the two shows are fantastic, but are not directly comparable. Le Mans is a bigger event, more open and better track action. Everything is properly big. Goodwood is more polished, an English garden party with cars, rather different atmosphere.

Either show is a miles ahead of most events, I couldn't pick a winner, but will be going back to both before too long.

The other tale from the Porsche chaps. One of them had been laser gunned in France, from 1.5miles away, doing 140mph. The Police were making moves to confiscate the car on the spot, but his wife had insurance and they made the arguement that she had rights and a claim to the car, so they got to keep it. He can not drive in France for quite a long time though! Lucky chap.

That said: 140mph is going to get you in trouble in ANY country (except parts of Germany), so not a huge amount of sympathy due.

David

15. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson

Finally got some Le Mans Classic video uploaded to YouTube... Only a year late!

Had to chop the footage into three parts and change the intro music (which Messrs Warner Bros objected to...). The last part being the track action and the most interesting.

Part 1 - race paddocks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I70kJ7oOjGo

Part 2 - club paddocks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxO6qx1QtPU

Part 3 - Le Mans start and track action
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzBg2Gup7HY

Time to start planning for next year?

16. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #17 4re Nut, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So far I've only watched part 3; very cool. I keep replaying the Breadvan's start; just a tad sideways! :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    #18 DKHudson, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I know, just typical... you have to pick a car and stay with it and I picked the 250LM. I was lucky the breadvan slid through the corner of the shot while the 250's driver was messing around. If you hunt on YouTube a couple more people also got shots of breadvan at the same start.

It seemed to take forever for some of them to get going, but doubtless they did not have harnesses to contend with in the Le Mans days of old.

David
    Image Unavailable, Please Login