Second annual get together at my house late summer 2008 | FerrariChat

Second annual get together at my house late summer 2008

Discussion in 'North Midwest - USA (ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, IL)' started by Mera, Jun 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mera

Mera Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Rodney Dickman
    The date has been set this year for my second annual get together at my house in Caledonia. Just south of Milwaukee, WI:

http://www.rodneydickman.com/show/

The date is not set in stone but it will probably not change. Andreas will be out of town so the two weekends prior are out. I hate to chance going much later because of the weather or earlier as many may have plans for mid/late August. I am hoping this date does not conflict with any other events or peoples plans. Please let me know if it is but there seems to be little chance of changing the date if there is.

I hope for good weather again as we had last year. Last year it rained for a week before and rained the day after but the day of the get together we had great weather.

I will again provide food and soft drinks and bottled water and a couple cakes. I did not think the food was that great last year (hired a local caterer) and now with this experience hope to do better this year.

Posts from last years get together:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137935

Open to all exotic cars. Ferrari, Lamborghini, high end Porsche, Pantera GT40, etc

Last year several get together at Kopp's in Brookfield and drove down in a group. Possibly that will happen again this year.

Hope to everyone there :)

Rodney Dickman
    1990 348 TS (Maybe someday a 1998 silver Lamborghini Diablo SV)

2. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    September 14 seems like a good date.

3. Mera

Mera Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Rodney Dickman
  4. tommy g

tommy g Guest

May 3, 2005
    westfield nj
    Full Name:
    tom gillespie
    just moving from the east coast to waukesha, this is a very generous offer!

hats off!

5. Mera

Mera Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Rodney Dickman
    Just tried to offer an invite to a few high end Lotus's on their forum. Seems I offended them by limiting them to just the high end Lotus's. So no Lotus's at my get together. Anyone know of any other exotic car forums? I know there are some very low production exotic cars out there and a few are in the Milwaukee/Chicago area. Wonder if I should invite any Porshe owners. Maybe not?

Rodney

6. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #6 Huskerbill, Aug 3, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2008

I don't know what kind of reception you would have expected on LotusTalk. You basically went onto a forum (where the ratio is obviously going to be heavily tilted towards Elise/Exige owners simply due to the rarity of the Esprit) and promoted your party as a "high end Lotus cars only" invitation. Basically telling the Elise/Exige owners that they are not welcome. I think their response was justified.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f112/might-like-invite-few-lotus-owners-my-get-together-59909/

As a past 3-time Porsche owner, 2-time Ferrari owner and now 1-time Lotus Esprit V8 TT owner it sounds like I would have only made the cut to this party 50% of the time. I get where you are coming from. Being from Wisconsin and having put on a couple of driving events, I get what you are trying to do. However, in understanding the Elise owners' very well now, I can see how they would have been offended. It's not my party, but I would have welcomed them. They are great cars that you don't see very often, especially in Wisconsin. At most you would have had 4-5 show up. It would have added to your volume and quality IMO.

I remember the story about Larry Dawley (he is a member on here from Wisconsin) approaching a nameless FCA official about a Chicago Ferrari event. The organizer looked at him and, looking down his nose, said "Well, this isn't going to be any *&^(& 308 event." So Larry shows up with his 250GTO recreation (a VERY expensive car built on a 250GTE platform). Nameless official comes up to Larry and asked where his car is and Larry points over to the crowd of people staring at the car and says "over there". I guess Nameless official's expression was priceless.

Larry, feel free to edit as needed, but it is a good story and, to me, relates to this one.

7. Mera

Mera Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Rodney Dickman

If these Lotus owners felt they should be allowed to attend they should have stated their reasons and argued why. Not act like a bunch of 16 year olds with ricer cars and start bashing me.

I'm not familiar with the Lotus line. I do know about the Esprit and I think they at one time looked to build a super car.

This is an "exotic car gathering". If they could have convinced me that their Lotus's are in this class or reasonably close I would have said sure. Instead they burn the bridge and put the blame on me.

Rodney

8. cscott67

cscott67 Formula Junior

May 13, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Does that mean I cant bring my cobra or gt40? ;o) Got those test pipes on yet????? Scott

9. 04GCAR

04GCAR Karting

Oct 11, 2004
    Madison
    Guess my Porsche GT3 RS, Lotus Exige S, or Lambo G not up to exotic standards.

10. Minte

Minte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2004
    Wisconsin

If you take the RS...you'll certainly break that elusive 100 miles on it. ;)

11. 04GCAR

04GCAR Karting

Oct 11, 2004
    Madison
    Not in the trailer, still don't have full body wrap yet.

12. Mera

Mera Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Rodney Dickman
    Maybe I should just cancel it and forget about ever doing it again.

Rodney

13. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    It's your house and your party. If it was me I would say if you don't have a Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Maserati either find someone who does or stay home and stay firm on that. Or else open it up to everyone who thinks their car is exotic and enjoy all the company.

14. Minte

Minte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Or just send out personal invites and you don't need to be concerned about offending anyone.

15. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I was thinking that too. That's what I used to do.....

16. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

Rodney, you cannot see your error and that is the problem. You are telling me that, after reading an internet invite saying that "high end" Lotus' like the Esprit are welcome, they are supposed to "convince you to allow them entry". They should "argue why they should be allowed to attend your private party". Are you for real??

Your statement about the "16 year old ricer" pretty much sums up your opinion of Elise/Exige owners and is the reason they weren't invited. You say that you are "not familar with Lotus"?? Apparently not....

Finally, to portray that you are now the one being blamed/attacked?? On second thought.....Yeah, actually, you are now.....

Come on Rodney, it's not the end of the world. You will have a great party and everyone will enjoy themselves just like they did last year. I don't think anyone doubts that. You are very kind for opening your doors and spending your time and money on this. From what I heard, your party was a hit last year and I am sure it will be even better this year.

If you fix your invite system, all will be well for years and years to come. That's all.

17. 04GCAR

04GCAR Karting

Oct 11, 2004
    Madison
    Just restate your invite to Italian 8 cylinder an above and including all Ferrari.

18. M BADGER

M BADGER Rookie

Mar 19, 2008
    Milwaukee, WI
    Are NSXs welcome this year?

I believe they were welcome last year, but I also recall seeing a comment somewhere about limiting the number of NSXs this year. Perhaps I am thinking of something else.

If not, no worries. (And no need to start an argument about whether they qualify as an exotic)

19. Mera

Mera Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Rodney Dickman
    I few NSX's will be OK. I like NSX's. :) Would be nice to see a targa top NSX show up.

Rodney

20. Mera

Mera Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Rodney Dickman
    Only a few weeks away now. For the moment I am using 50 attending for the caterer. Last year we had about 45 or so. They use generous portions so that should handle 60-70 or more. Last year we planned for 60 and had over half of the food left over. Food will be better this year.