What gets done on a major service? | FerrariChat

What gets done on a major service?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Serpent Driver, Aug 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Serpent Driver

Serpent Driver Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2004
    Norway
    On a major service on f. ex a 348, what is done exactly?
    Is it belts, tensioners, headcovergaskets, cam and cranck seals, rebuilding the waterpump, checking/adjusting valve clearance and then putting the engine back in?
    Missing something?

Is this all the same for a 355 or a Testarossa?

How often do this cars need engine out services? Are there any smaller services between engine out service except oil-change?

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You should post this in the 348/355 section.

But check here - www.eugeniosferrariservice.com - for a list. Or check your owner's manual.

Ferrari specifies every 3 years or 30,000 miles for a timing belt service on all the cars you mentioned. Many guys think 3-5 years is a reasonable window, but if you want Ferrari's word (in a technical service bulletin), it's every 3 yrs/30K.

3. Serpent Driver

Serpent Driver Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2004
    Norway
  4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I'll add that a 'major service' really depends on 'what you find'. The process of changing belts, timing belt bearings, gaskets and hoses is naturally requires a thorough look at most of the car. Do you crack the transmission open? No.... but would you notice signs of an alternator bearing on it's way south? Perhaps. Plug wires that are shot? Yeah. Extenders with burn marks? Yes.

The 30k kits we sell, and services like those listed on Eugenio's website are a good starting point. It is extremely likely that once you're deep into the service you'll discover other (sometimes expensive) things that need/should be done too.

5. gblogger

gblogger Formula 3

May 2, 2004
    N.E. Florida
    Full Name:
    Gee Blogger
  6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #6 BT, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
    He speaketh the truth! It is a real eye popper when you add up all the repair / upgrade costs over a few years. I have been very fortunate to not have much go wrong with my car, and I still spent a bit over $10,000 in the first three years.
    :D
    BT