First Try at Car Restoration. | FerrariChat

First Try at Car Restoration.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by UroTrash, Aug 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Suppose you had basic, but only basis, mechanical skills and wanted to try your hand at restoring a car; doing as much as possible yourself.

Obviously, picking a simple car with cheap parts would seem to be smart.

Further, say you have only enough garage space to fit a small car.

Which do you think would be the best candidate:

Bugeye Sprite

Early MG Midget or AH Sprite

Early Spitfire

Other

2. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Bugeye Sprite.

Mechanically simple and physically small. Parts should be readily available and even if you chose to re-wire the entire car, it wouldn't be an impossible task.

The real plus is that the prices haven't really taken off yet. They've gone up some in the last few years, but I think they've got a ways to go.

3. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    The Sprite looks like a very quaint car indeed. I was in your shoes a few years ago and picked up a 924. After $23,500 I still have $11,000 to go before the car is ready to be a reliable daily driver. It has a lot of room under the hood, simple mechanics but some things do take a long time to repair/ switch out like a 9 hour clutch {if you've done a few already}. I didn't have much experience with repairing cars as I've always been the one who drops a car off at a dealer and takes another car to work. I thought it would be fun, informative and relaxing but it is only one of those at a time, it is only occasional and brief.

The car was in good shape and 28 years old when I got it, all I have left is the interior, a motor rebuild and paint. Everything else is either new or less than 5,000 miles old. If I was back in 2002 I would not have bought this car it simply wasn't worth the time or the money. Perhaps if I choose a better car {see; car that would be more fun to drive once completed} I would have had more fun and would have more fun owning the car.

I think I'll stick to buying cars that are already fully functional and ready to drive.

4. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #4 UroTrash, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008

I had a bugeye a while back.

It was amazing that everything seemed to be $20.

The exhaust pipe was $20. The muffler was $20. The emblem was $20....

Everything was 20 except the parts that weren't.

Like the door locks, the sun visors, the seat adjusters, the trunk hinges.

They were all free since they didn't exist. that's one of the draws of the bugeye, it has so few parts!

5. Ispeed

Ispeed Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Needham MA
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Just be careful you don't get $30k into a car that's worth $5k when you're done. You will be stuck with it after that because of the investment vs. resale $$...

The joke with 928s is "you are $10k away from having a $5k car..."

6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Musta read my post.

7. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    The Bugeye (Frogeye to the Limeys) probably has the most long-term appreciation potential. It's not substantially different from the other choices (the Midget/Sprite is very similar).

All are simple cars but could be deceivingly difficult if you have rust problems. Nothing on any of them would be challenging to me but I've had them all down to the bare-bones before.

Those $20 parts aren't $20 anymore.

8. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    1969 camaro. You just take alot of pictures and such to help you peice the car back together.

9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    You are putting $35K into a 924?? Is there something very special about this car? Are you modding it? I am lost..

They do say, there is nothing more expensive then a cheap Porsche...One car that I would love to do someday is a Porsche 914, with a 911 motor.

10. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I don't know if I'll finish the car, I can leave the paint and interior out of the math and also just do a "light rebuild" to the motor to get it running just right. No there isn't anything special about the car to me although it does have a fiberglass body and unique wheels. Other than that it isn't modded and will be sold for what I guess will be $7,500 in the spring.

The money was well spent now I know I don't want old cars any more, too much hassle and time on a hoist.

11. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Note to Uro: A car junky needs to have at least one friend who owns a metal-fab shop. There's nothing better than being able to hog-out those parts made of unobtanium. :)

Did you enjoy the Bugeye??? I have always wondered if it would be one of those cars that was more fun to want, than to own.

I'm still looking around for one, but it seems most are total junk, or have to be re-built as much as the junk ones do to shoddy, incorrect "restoration" along the way.

12. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Camaro or Mustang is a great choice.

13. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #13 UroTrash, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
    Buyeye was great.

I'd let it rip along the ocean road in Galveston, working to keep the darty little thing in my lane, absolutely BLASTING along....I looked down...45 MPH!

I'll admit I was an insensitive soul in those days: it had a 1248 engine, i put on a 2 barrel downdraft Weber, I ditched the Armstrong lever shocks and put on tube shocks, radial tires, put a radio right in the middle of the dash etc etc...

14. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #14 wax, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
  16. Bug eye would be my choice out of the one's listed.

17. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I have been quite taken with the looks of the MG TF 1500, with aero screens. Dunno if that is a little too 'charming' for your taste, or whether there is real upside potential for the right project. I would suspect that the old adage about buying someone else's project, after completion, is far cheaper, but it sounds like you want to get your hands dirty and are willing to pay for the privilege.

18. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    If not *ahem* Bug-eyed at the prospects

19. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    VW cat rod..

20. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I don't know which one I would pick, Doc, but I will tell you this... I "restored" my twin turbo C4 Corvette... well, actually I bought it in rough shape, gutted it and built it how I wanted it. I will say this - it's a LOT LOT LOT easier to fix mechanical problems than cosmetic ones. The car I bought was mechanically good and cosmetically bad. If I did it over, 10 times out of 10 I would pick a costmetically good but mechanically bad car.

People tend to see wear on the car and think "ohhh that's not big deal" - like worn seats, cracked dash, missing/cracked trim pieces. On the other hand, they feel a thump when they push the brakes and they think "oh my god! The car is about to fall apart!". You will spend tons of money and tons of time trying to track down all those little interior bits. Once you have one nice shiny new looking part, you will want to fix everything else. I was shocked at the sheer quantity of pieces of trim inside most cars, and the expense of obtaining them, and the difficulty of installing them.

On the other hand, mechanicals either work or they don't, and I find it much easier to diagnose and fix a problem with the mechanics than with the interior and body. Just my .02

21. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Well OK then. :)

22. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    You can recover nearly $.50 per dollar when you go to sell it, not counting labor, of course. Unless it is a 14-louver TdF, in which case, I'll buy it. BMC's at this point are rust granules held together by electrons. The Heisenberg Sportscar principle.

23. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    #23 Hoodude, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. FrankN

FrankN Rookie

Jul 6, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Frank N.
    I know these aren't on your list but why not do a replica Cobra or Porsche 356? Relatively cheap to build and you end up with something 'new' and you more then likely won't lose your shirt when it comes to sell. Might be a great alternative if you're looking to get your hands dirty and learn new skills.

25. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Get a porsche 914...

Cheap parts, easily available, going up in value, and can be tracked. Tons of forums for support. You can go from a mild 1.7 to stuffing in a 993 motor. And resale value is pretty good.

Buy for $5000...dump in $5000 plus your free sweat and tears, and you can probably sell for $15,000...

Hoot to drive too...

The only problem with "restoring" a cheap car, is that you eventually feel like its a waste of your time. It takes the same amount of time to fix an oil leak on a 914 as on a testarossa. Same sweat, same nicks and bruises. But on the 914 I am merely saving myself a $200 VW mechanics bill...on the testarossa, I am "saving" $2000 or more...

If you have the time to restore, pick up another old ferrari (or 930 turbo?)...at least there is a good chance that at some point you will recoup your money :).