Introduce Yourself... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Introduce Yourself...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rob lay, Aug 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. imported_DaveWapinski

Aug 16, 2005
    #51 imported_DaveWapinski, Aug 16, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I also come from the Dark Side – FerrariChat.

I come from the extreme poor side of the tracks where my parents believed that the children were just for the benefit of the parents. They believed that all spare time should be spent working for them. As such did not learn about cars and planes until much later. (Have disowned my parents and do not know if they are dead or alive.)

As a DuPont Scholar at the University of Virginia, got interested in the outdoors. This lead to an interest in flying, particularly seaplane flying.

After the military and some tragedy, decided to go for some of the things I wanted. Learned to fly at the Ft. Eustis, VA Flying Club from an old bush pilot. Did my long cross country before my short cross country. Had fun flying in places like West Virginia.

Helped the Army reactivate Patton’s old training ground at Ft. Irwin in CA. Flew around the West and had much fun.

Accepted a job in Hawaii. Rented planes from the Barbara’s Point Navy Flying Club. Again much fun flying the islands.

Accepted a job in Utah at Dugway Proving Ground. Rented planes from Hill Air Force Flying Club. A long cross country was to fly a Piper Warrior VFR from Hill to Orlando, Florida and back. The seats in a Warrior are bad for this. On one of these flights putting into Tinker, I was number one for landing. Behind me were two F16s. I could not speed up enough and they could not slow down enough. They had to go around.

A Senior Delta Air Lines Captain taught me how to fly taildraggers in the plane that his father had taught him to fly in.

Have rented planes across the US.

Attached is my first plane. Lost it due to problems with a divorce.

Also my type of runways.

The certification paperwork for the new Maule M-9 was submitted on July 1. I will get one of the first ones next year. Do not yet know if it will be diesel/Jet A or auto gas/100 LL.

I also love Barons, but the fuel costs worry me. I think the fuel price increases have just started.

I have been watching the SeaStars for a long time. However, they are running into delays. http://www.seastaraircraft.com

I also have a slot for an Eclipse Jet. I do not know if I will use it or sell it.

Will have fun flying no matter how this works out.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Niko from F-chat.

I like planes and when I was in my teens I did the course in Montreal, Quebec.
    I flew out of Dorval International (pretty hairy for a newbie). I havn't flown in a bit, since I don't have time to upkeep the hobby. Will probably restart in a few years, get night/IFR and maybe multi-engine.

3. HarFly

HarFly Rookie

Aug 21, 2005
    Highland Park, IL
    Full Name:
    Isaiah Harf
    Hi, my name is Isaiah Harf, born in Rochester, NY now a student at Indiana University (see the Newsweek article just published!!) - also from FerrariChat. I am pretty new there as well - under the name HarFerrari. I didn't know much about Ferrari's but I am learning - always loved cars. This time around I know nothing, and I mean nothing about planes, other than like a 4 year old I think they are "really cool". I look forward to learning more about them - I can definitely chime in on the Airport section - I am privileged to have parents who have seen the value in traveling and have taken me many places.

Thanks for creating this.

Isaiah

4. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    My name is john I have been flying for 2 years and still have not finished up my license, I am waiting until it gets cooler and then will get it done.

I owned a 172 for about 2 weeks, then my partner bought me out for tax reasons, or he saw one of my landings, I really dont know which.

I plan on buying a partnership in a 172 sooner or later.

5. LNR

LNR Karting

Apr 28, 2005
    Chino, CA
    Full Name:
    Lyndon
    Hello all! Thanks to Rob for creating this site. I came via F-Chat as well, but I may find Av-Chat a better hang out for me as I already have a PPL but no F-car yet. I've sometimes debated wether to get a PA-28 or a 308/M8?

Anyway, I hope to meet and fly with some of the members of this board. I have met different pilots in all sorts of places and every pilot I've met has been really friendly to find another fellow pilot.

I worked as a dispatcher at a FBO through out my Instrument training which helped me stay at the airport and keep my focus. Now that I don't work at the airport anymore, I really have to struggle to get into an airplane.

I flew mostly out of POC (Brackett Field) and live close to FUL (Fullerton). If anyone is nearby, lets get together sometime.

Don

6. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam
    Hi,

I'm Bob Wassam and I've come over from F-Chat. I Got my PP license in the early 90's. I bought an old Luscombe 8A and flew it around the Central Valley near Sacramento for a couple of years. I sold it and bought an old Mooney M20c with the idea of getting my instrument rating. One day I was having radio problems and took it to Airborn Electronics. They told me that the plane was not airworthy because there were live wires laying all over the control rods and the panel needs to be fully gone through. At the time I had some suggish instruments so I decided to take the panel out . . . completely. I had it in a hangar in Sacramento Executive. There it sat for 6 or 7 years. I have finally got it flying. The FAA came in and inspected it. I've gotten a new weight and balance. The paper work/log books are all in order. In the meantime I moved up to Oregon and have since moved it up here and closed the hangar in Sacramento. I would not have been able to get the work done except for a friend of mine named GM Amthor. He's a former C-130 pilot who is an IA. He guided me and helped with instruction and labor and advice. He has been my mentor in aviation since the beginning.

Now I'm too busy to fly with current projects going on. However the flying will come on line this winter.

Bob Wassam

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    There are many members on the sister forum, FerrariChat, who do not own Ferraris (though I am one that does); now I am a member here who does not own an aircraft and is not a pilot. But aviation has always been an integral part of my life.

When I was a small child on Long Island in 1959, I saw one of the first Boeing 707s heading off to Europe, and I decided right then that I wanted to design aircraft for a living. Well, I got a degree in aerospace engineering, and for the last 30 years I have been designing aircraft, or at least, parts of aircraft.

After spending many years at Grumman, where I did spend some time on the F-14 Tomcat, the real star of "Top Gun", I eventually wound up at Lockheed Martin, where I am working on the nonpareil F/A-22 Raptor, which explains part of my username. (My alma mater supplied the other part.) While I never served in the military, I feel I have done my part for my country in military aircraft design.

Fortunately I did manage to work on the Boeing 767 and 777, so there are two aircraft I can actually fly in that I did have a hand in the design of. (A small bit of trivia: some of you may know that a small group in Everett, WA is building brand-new Messerschmitt Me 262 jet fighters. The head of that project, Bob Hammer, was my supervisor when I worked on the 767! A small world, indeed.)

I may never be a true "aviator" but I have friends who are and I salute all pilots, and thank Rob for creating this forum. I'll do my flying, so to speak, on the ground in my Ferrari 328.

8. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Hi everyone!

I'm from Ferrarichat also ('rmv' FWIW). Besides cars, I love aircraft, specifically airliners, warbirds and private jets. For approximately 6 months I worked at Executive Airlines here in Australia, as a general hand (worked part-time as I'm a uni student). They operated a couple of Citations, but took care of a GIV-SP, as well as visiting private jets from around Australia and internationally. I loved working there!

9. FastTalk

FastTalk Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2002
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Adam Alexander
    #59 FastTalk, Sep 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am also from F-Chat and fly and own a Robinson R44 Clipper II. I am based out of Van Nuys, CA (KVNY) the busiest GA Airport in the country.

Adam

10. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Hello. My name is Daniel. I have an addiction. Cars, Boats, Planes.

My story is simple. No seat time. Dad used to own/fly a Saberliner back in the early 70's. Y'all ever hear of those?

11. 355flyer

355flyer Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2004
    Gadsden, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Andy Entrekin

Nice knowing you will be transitioning to wings. I enjoy taking the 355 to the airport and then taking to the skies in my 22. Best of both worlds. Look at the Cirrus's. They are the Ferrari of the sky.

Andy

12. 355flyer

355flyer Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2004
    Gadsden, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Andy Entrekin
    Adam, Nice to know ya. We will be flying to VNY from GAD this Saturday. New SR-22 Cirrus GTS. You are right it is one busy airport, however try Lawarenceville Georgia some day. It usually takes me 20-30 minutes to get IFR out of there and the other day I was notified I was number 11 for the final approach.

Andy

13. Stratohammer

Stratohammer Karting

Apr 17, 2004
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mike here. Drifted over from FChat.

I've been an airplane nut since childhood. I got my private license at 17 - soloed before I had a driver's license. I earned flight time by working at the flight school washing airplanes, scrubbing the floor, and helping the mechanic.
    Well, I really enjoyed helping out with maintenance, so I got my A&P and FCC licenses.

These days I work in a Fortune 500 flight department where we operate Citation X's and an Excel.

Daniel - I know what a Sabreliner is! One evening at IAH I watched an incredible amount of consumer electronics get stuffed in the aft equipment bay of a Mexican registered Sabre on its way home.

Gatoraptor - A few years ago, I went by the shop in Fort Worth where they had started the ME-262 project (or so I was told). By then they had moved out to Washington and the Fort Worth shop was building reproductions of Japanese Oscar fighters. The Oscars were interesting but I really wanted to see the ME-262's.

14. imported_MikeAR303

Sep 6, 2005
    Another FerrariChat member here... also addicted to cars, boats, planes, motorcycles, etc...

Currently a USPA licensed skydiver. Looking to get my PPL very soon (I was going to do it this summer, but skydiving took over my life). Recently had a chance to fly in and take the controls of a Pitts S2C at the dropzone and immediately got addicted. My goal is to be flying one of my own (probably partial ownership) within the next couple years.

15. FormerCitationEngineer

Sep 6, 2005
    I am another FChat member. Learned to fly in high school and solo'd before I got my driver's license. Have flown various contraptions from a Citabria up through an MD500. Currently, a legal counsel for a major corporation, but in my prior career I was an aerospace engineer for Cessna where I did system design and flight test development work on the entire Citation line, including the II, Bravo, V, Ultra, Encore, Excel, CJ series, VII, and X. Spent a good portion of my time doing systems flight testing.

16. FastTalk

FastTalk Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2002
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Adam Alexander

Congrats on the SR-22. I was admiring one in Catalina last Monday. If I ever get my fixed wing that is what I will buy :)

Adam

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Well, the Me's are still there if you're willing to visit Seattle. Meanwhile the Texas operation has been closed and the Oscars are now in Arizona.

18. Jcarson

Jcarson Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Tortola, BVI
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Just saying hi - I live and fly in the Caribbean. Gearing up for the PPL Checkride in the next couple of weeks. It's been a bit trying getting to this point - the company was grounded and my instructor suspended (great huh?) BUT still moving forward, nevertheless...

19. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Hi guys, my name is Steve, after cars my next passion is aviation, my Father was in the RAF during the 60's and early 70's and i can remember as a kid being in the cockpit of a tiger moth, anyway i would like to wish Rob much luck with this site.

20. Doug McGill

Doug McGill Rookie

Sep 17, 2005
    Also from FChat.

I've been in love with Ferrari's for as long as I can remember, but airplanes have been in my interest for only a few years. After I graduate high school this summer I plan on working to get my pilots license before entering the military. If it takes to long I might have to put it on hold, but I definitely want to get it, really bad!

Born and raised in San Diego, CA...I have been living in Vegas for four years.

21. Stanley Miller

Sep 17, 2005
    Hi everyone. I'm stanley. I worked as a flight attendant for UAL for almost ten years. However after a series of pay cuts and being the only straight guy in a work group I decided to get my private pilot license. I have a ways to go but am having a great time getting there.

I come from a long line of airline employees. My father was a mechanic with Delta and my mom was a FA for PSA when I was a kid.

Anyway, I have a love of all things aviation and am glad to have found this site.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Please tell me that job is great for picking up girls!

23. jettjohn

jettjohn Rookie

Sep 26, 2005
    Hello all.

I am new to the forum. I am hailing from Ft. Lauderdale Fl. I am a pilot for a corporate outfit in Ft. Lauderdale.

I am originally from Trinidad in the Caribbean. My hobbies include flying(even though it is my JOB, I really, Really, REALLY enjoy it, fishing and hot girls, but I am married.

Interested in learning from you all and bringing forth whatever knowledge I can.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Welcome!

25. imported_Airspeed

Sep 13, 2005
    Me with my ship in Aspen Colorado. It is scheduled to be parked permanently soon due to the bankruptsy at Northwest. I love this plane and if they go through with their plans I will miss it.

I am a Fiero owner (400 hp LS1, V8 swap coming soon), and love mid-engine cars. They don't have to be prestigious or expensive. I found out about this site from F-chat as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]