Scissor Lifts | FerrariChat

Scissor Lifts

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by barabus, Aug 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Scissor lifts work fine in a home shop. I'm partial to the Bend Pak lifts myself. Very good professional quality but cheaper than Rotary or Champion.

2. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I agree.

3. dr.mike

dr.mike Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Adams
  4. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
  5. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I have a Snap-On scissor lift, but I picked it up used from a service station that was going out of business. It has a 9000# capacity, but the problem with it is that it has a solid platform under the middle of the car. If I were buying one new, I would definitely look at one of the ones with a more open central area, so that I'd have access to that area, if needed. It's not too much of a problem, since I can simply lift the cars and just put them down on big jack stands much higher than I could ever get them by jacking the car up. I use the lift all the time, and it is a great addition to a home garage.

6. dr.mike

dr.mike Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Adams
    The sp-7x is open in the middle. and I think the 2 platforms actually come off. They make a nice adjustable height HD workbench too :)

As for the 6xp, it looks kinda scary to me. I would not feel safe without a solidly mounted base. Or, at least one that had a larger footprint than that one.

7. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
  8. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    #9 mrpcar, Sep 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have done quit a few of engine drops on the Porsche 911 cars to do clutch change. I have a mid rise scissor lift from Greg smith Equipment, it uses a 110 volt household electric hydraulic pump to lift the car, I beleive it has a 5000 lb capacity. I absolutely love it! I couldn't believe I was able to work on cars using a floor jack and jack stand without a lift like this for years!

I have lifted my 360 with this lift and have full access under the car, but I do beleive the 360 engine is design to be lifted out of the car, not drop down. I did have to remove on the brace on the lift in order for the Porsche 911 transmision to clear the drop as with the rear engine design. I don't think it will have any issue with 3x8 and 355 cars.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login