$100 for a 2002 Modena Spider- school raffle in Florida | Page 2 | FerrariChat

$100 for a 2002 Modena Spider- school raffle in Florida

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by URY914, Sep 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Value counts as income.

2. ty328

ty328 Rookie

Jun 3, 2007
    San Ramon, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony

I saw something like this before on an other church, they couldn't sold more tickets at the end they cancel the raffle. Refund everybody money, turn around & sold the car outright. They do have the right to cancel any time just like e-bay, plus they get all the FREE advertise for the school.

3. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Can you deduct the cost of the raffle tickets in these things? Looks like a nice 360...great color!

4. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Anyone know of the texas laws with this as far as taxes? I don't know if they changed it but you could buy a used car and tell them you bought if for x amount under the actuall price and and only pay taxes for that(so I was told). Has this changed?

5. Miner_31

Miner_31 Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would do it since it is charity but not so sure I would want to pay the taxes on winning something.

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  7. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    well you could always sell it and pocket over 100k :) well you'd still have to pay taxes on that....nevermind lol

8. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    interesting....

9. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    ouch. and imagine if some hillbilly wins it not knowing this; kiss that $100 (and the car) goodbye :p

10. jsanocki

jsanocki Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2006
    NJ
    Well, I'm sure there is some creative accountant who can work out the tax situation. I'm not an accountant, but sometimes I play one on April 15th.... That being said, I would deduct the cost of my raffle tickets as a charitable donation. As for the prize, who determines the value of the car? I know that DMV's sometimes snag people on sales tax evasion by saying a 30k car was bought for 8k to avoid the 7% tax (in NJ) but I don't know if the IRS would have the same criteria. I would think the school would have to produce some form come tax time....

As for canceling, that was my initial thought as well, but the school confirmed it was going to happen regardless of ticket sales. They said that they are only allowed to offer a tax writeoff to the 360 owner on the amount of ticket sales income. So he isn't getting a 125k writeoff (market value) but the number of tickets sold ($45k)

11. fenzoman

fenzoman Karting
    BANNED

Jun 19, 2008
    I'm starting to wonder if most on this board aren't 14. Anyone who's ever had a kid at a private school, and I'm hoping you folks pony up for the good school before you buy an Fcar, have seen this again and again. Parent who owns car can can more donating it than selling it, he can give an inflated price, say the price at the now departed peak. School gets whatever it gets. Everyone is happy. It's totally legit.

12. stitch

stitch Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2008
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Charles
    #37 stitch, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
    Not an accountant, but talk recently to her for a similar school fund raiser (no Ferrari was involved). I believe prizes are taxed at 50% of market value (this is federal income tax law, not state) - same as when you win the lottery or win money gambling. Also I don't believe you can write off raffle tickets or anything for which you get value, even if the money goes to a charitable cause.

13. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Chris Sawyerr,....glad to see you back in action. How's it going?

14. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Look up IRS form 1340 I believe it is. 25% tax...the same for if you win the Powerball. So let's say $140K car = $35K tax bill. Accountants, tax attorneys any input? Still, cheaper than paying market price! In reality, you're better off selling the car, paying the $35K tax bill and keeping the rest of the cash. Although, theoretically, you could take an auto loan out on it for $45K right? ($35K for the taxes and $10K for the major. ;) )

Per the seller, no cancelling this under law and the write off is for $ from ticket sales OR car's value, whichever is less.

15. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    Raffle is a couple days away. They show 760 tickets sold.

16. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    I'm a gambling man....just bought a couple of tickets....Holding breath. If I won I would GLADLY pay the tax...what like $8750 based on 125k value!

17. wise3

wise3 Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Ward Orndoff
    #42 wise3, Oct 23, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
    $8750 plus fees to title and tag it in FL; plus $31,250 Federal income tax on winning it, if the tax rate is 25% of its value as mentioned above. All assuming $125K value.
    And maybe $ 10K-15K for a major service, depending on its history.
    Still a bargain. I bought a ticket as well.

18. JDMz32

JDMz32 Rookie

Oct 16, 2008
    ARVADA COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    so did this happen yet?

19. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    Damn, so Chris is back in business! And this time he's a Christian!

20. wise3

wise3 Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Ward Orndoff
    the list of winners is on their web site