CHP Commissioner memo on 11-99 frames | FerrariChat

CHP Commissioner memo on 11-99 frames

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by RacerX_GTO, Sep 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    The Commish has spoken, no more special treatment.
    Get ready to be tased, guys.

Sacramento Bee - Sunday, Sept. 28, 2008
    Page A4

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    You should be donating because you believe in the cause. I'm glad the upped the fees. No one spends 5k, let alone 25k, to get out of speeding tickets.

3. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I wish they hadn't. I was going to buy one and went online to do so last year. Then saw they were $5k.

I am surprised that you would say that you are glad they upped the prices. That takes most of the possible people who would have donated and pushed it out of their comfort zone for giving. Unfortunate for the poor wives. As someone who is VERY close to a family in which the husband/dad is an officer, I feel bad that the press felt the need to "expose" this foundation.

I am surprised to hear your sentiment on the matter as it is only hurting the widows in the end.

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Pretty unsubstantiated claim on your part. From what I understand via ex-founding treasurer, they have record donations after raising the prices. So I guess the families widowed are getting more support, not less.

5. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    There is NO way that that is the case. Unless, of course, a major estate donation or separate foundation came through with a large single contribution.

In this economy, most charities are feeling the pinch (I have friends and family in major non-profits). There is NO way that raising the minimum is going to give them record donations. No way.

What are they supposed to say, "Ahh yeah. We raised the donation levels and NO ONE is donating. We are way under goal and are screwed."

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Idle conjecture vs founding ex-treasurer's words. Again, no disrespect, but I'll take the latter. And by the way, the 11-99 foundation does have multiple large donors. They have no reason or inclination to make measures that would reduce their donated intake.

7. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I know they have large donors. That is why I mentioned that in my last post as one of the only possible ways they could be over goal this year.

Again, those are the words of someone close to the organization. It would be like asking Obama or McKain if they were going to balance the budget deficit, cut taxes and win the war. What are they going to say, the truth?

Of course they have reason. It's called the bad pub they have been getting for the past 2 years. They don't want to look like they can be bought and especially don't want to look like they are setting the amount.

Until then, it was business as usual.

But, we just have to both go on believing our two points. It's all good though. Doesn't affect me other than I have an extra $1800.

8. Grim Reaper

Grim Reaper Formula Junior

I wish the buy in was $50,000 and the required background check was of some greater magnitude.

According, to records provided, they have been sucessful in raising substantially more money.

Whether that remains to be seen, only time will tell.

9. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Thank you Los Angeles Times for saving us from those evil frames.

-mick

10. 289FIA_Cobra

289FIA_Cobra Karting

Sep 6, 2007
    After reviewing the list of the "Gold Members", it's not a stretch to think that those that can afford more, will help make up the difference if they can.
    Consider who's on the list; I don't know 90% of them from Jack, but I do know: Parnelli Jones, Jay Leno and Robbin Williams. And I don't think Jay could donate enough to obtain enough frames for ALL his cars!

And keep in mind, there is NO MINIMUM to donate; more awareness within CA and (with the exception of this year), they can raise enough to make their targets even if we can only donate $100.

But I'm really glad they're mentioned this now. Preferred treatment should never have been a reason... ever!

11. F430SilverArrow

F430SilverArrow Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Robert Spiteri
    It's been a Marketing 101 basic as always. Make something expensive and exclusive and people will buy it for that alone. Make the market available to all and the value deminishes. The higher the better. Works everytime. If you don't have the money you don't get it. That simple.

We wouldn't be in this financial crisis if buying a home was for everyone. It is not you birth right to own a home in this country. I was reading in the San Jose Mercury today where over 25% of people in Santa Clara County spend over 50% of their income on housing. That is just plain stupid on the buyers part and again why the housing market and finanacial crisis will continue for at least another 3 years. I was 35 when my wife and I bought my our first house. We lived in a one bedroom apartment until then. You think I didn't want one before. We just couldn't afford it. People in this country are not all equal when it comes to personal wealth for numerous reasons. Do really think that most of the people that own fancy high priced cars can really afford them or do they simply want to imagine they can. Try to lease and buy a car now. You'd better have something to back you today. I have never seen so many cars for sale on ebay, craigslist, etc then in the last 6 months. People finally woke up and realized that the car in the garage should never have been there.

12. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Just wait for BHO. He will make sure that it is all fair for everyone :)

Kai

13. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    IIRC, when they instituted the increased lifetime fees (18 months ago?), they held the "old" price open for several months and they also encouraged existing members to upgrade to higher tiers for the difference between old and new fees. So it's possible there were two effects: 1) a rush of people signing up at the old lower fee, and 2) a rush of existing members upgrading to higher tiers. This could easily have made for record donations/fees for last year. IF that was the case, the next question would be if the donations stayed at the new or higher levels after the transitional offers ended.

14. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Certainly a valid point and worth consideration. I had not given it any thought. I supposed time will tell.

15. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    It was always the policy not to provide any favors. However, some officers did, and some didn't. It really depended upon the violation. If you were really out of control, the plate meant nothing. If you were just over the limit, you got cut a little slack.

Art

16. 9 ONE 1

9 ONE 1 Karting

Mar 5, 2004
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    S. V.
    I believe in the cause...I received a ticket with my 11-99 plates in a non-exotic car only going 15 above the limit.

This can only hurt the foundation. I still donated yearly even though I was already a lifetime member. Now I might re consider. I might just donate to my College Alumni foundation instead.

17. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    if u believe in the cause, why do u need the plate to show it? seems illogical to me. it's as simple as that.... dont tell me it's to show ur pride, I aint that stupid!

18. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Found on another site:

19. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon