Help please - ticket in Southampton County, VA | FerrariChat

Help please - ticket in Southampton County, VA

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by tesseract, Oct 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    #1 tesseract, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
    Does anyone have a traffic attorney contact for Southampton County, VA? I'd sure rather utilize someone known than pick one out of a phone book.

78 in a 60 in the family-mobile on the way to visit Mom for her 75th birthday - trooper was unimpressed.

Thanks for any input.

2. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Why is a traffic attorney necessary? If you were speeding just pay the fine.

3. Kevinw23

Kevinw23 Karting

Aug 18, 2007

He obviously doesn't want the points assesed to his drivers license.

At "only" 18mph over you can probably plead it down yourself on the day of the hearing......that's if you don't have any prior speeding violations. I hired an attorney here in PA and it cost $500 but I only did that becuase I was clocked at 108 in a 55. On a few prior occasions I had tickets under 20 mph over the posted limit and I plead not guilty and went in to fight them. I was always offered a deal to lower the infraction and no points as long as I paid the fine.

4. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Welcome to Virginia.

5. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.

Exactly. I was speeding and know I need to pay a fine - just looking for a reduction in charge to "failure to obey a posted highway sign" or something like that, which is what I received on a speeding ticket here in NC while driving the Ferrari a few years back (local attorney hired for that one). I have two teenagers on my insurance policy and any points on my record will send the premiums through the roof - and that will stay with me for years. The fine and attorney costs will be a small fraction of the cost of the increased insurance.

Anyway - still hoping for a local attorney to represent me rather than spending a day and driving 500 miles round trip for a court date.

6. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    so if you hire an attorney you don't have to be in court with them?

I'm in Tennessee, where the speeding penalities really don't add up. I've got a friend who gets 3 speeding tickets a year and just pays 110 dollars never goes to court, takes the class, and never recieves any points.

7. Ferrarifan15

Ferrarifan15 Rookie

Oct 12, 2008
    I'm bumping this thread because I would also like to know the answer to this question.

8. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    Where the hell is Southhampton Co.? Is that the one out in the sticks where they do not have a telephone and they still use the gallows on the courthouse green?

9. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    Southern VA on the NC border - not a town name you would ever recognize. I suppose no respectable attorney would locate themselves there.

Not sure about the gallows, but the trooper never took his hand off his holster - and I had two kids and a wife in an SUV - not like I looked like a drug-runner.

10. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    Call Danny Sutton, esq (804) 643-0000 in Richmond. I went to law school with him. He grew up in Franklin, but practices in Richmond. His family knows everyone down that way. If he is not willing to go that far, I bet he knows the movers in that area. Tell him a fellow Ferrari owner gave you his name, he will know who that is.