A Newbie question about the "change of seasons" | FerrariChat

A Newbie question about the "change of seasons"

Discussion in '308/328' started by Fiat4Fun, Nov 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fiat4Fun

Fiat4Fun Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2008
    Sunriver OR
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #1 Fiat4Fun, Nov 7, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
    So,
    It appears winter has arrived here in Oregon.
    I purchased my 1989 328 at the end of September and it has been perfect since I have had it. The car had it's 30k service at Ferrari of SF about 6k miles ago ('04). The PO had the oil changed and had the car checked out prior to me driving it home from the bay area. I had the car checked out by a local shop that has "some" Ferrari experience and has a great reputation locally,,,, and found no major issues. But after some good advice from folks here at FChat, I wanted to get the car to Portland to have the car looked over by a Ferrari mechanic. Figured I would get the oil changed and the brake fluid changed while it was there. Also talk about having the belts/bearings replaced in the spring.

However, the weather has changed, and not sure I want to drive the car over the hill ( 3 hrs) if the weather is questionable, not that the car will melt, but here in Oregon, they throw lava rock and gravel on the road on mountain passes. SO here is my question. Do I wait til spring? The car has always had dino oil in it, and the shop that did the last oil change put full synthetic in it, which now has about 600 miles on it. Also, the fluids were changed about 6k miles ago, but was concerned about the brake fluid, only because it can get below freezing in the garage for a short time over the winter.

I thought about just changing the oil myself, and feel better about it. But thought I would get some input from you "experienced" owners. Also, any other winter storage advice would be appreciated. I plan to move the car around and start it during the winter, just to keep it in motion, and if nothing else....... listen to that great sound!!!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Enjoy,
    RG

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A good quality full synthetic motor oil is a good choice for that car. The fluids are not that old. Waiting till spring will not be a problem. Be sure the freezing point of the antifreeze is ok and don't lose any sleep. Since the car sits for long periods in a humid climate you MIGHT want to do some reading on the internet about brake fluids. Not all absorb water at the same rate and that is really what you are fighting in your case. As a practical matter though once a year for the brake fluid no matter the type in your climate will be sufficient to protect the brake system. It may not be enough to prevent boiling under very severe race track use but you made no mention of that being a factor.

3. Fiat4Fun

Fiat4Fun Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2008
    Sunriver OR
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks for your quick response. I did check the coolant and had the " local" shop check it to, and it was fine on the hydrometer. I am lucky that we live on the dry side of the mountains, so we don't really have the moisture that the "west side of the mountains". When you mention climate for the brake fluid, are you talking humidity or temp?

Do you see any issues with starting the car every couple of weeks, moving it around and/or driving when the local conditions permit?

I don't see the car on a track, but some of the twisty roads around here are FUN, but not when there is snow!

Thanks again for all your advice. IF you have a recommendation of a Fcar service center in my area, please PM me.
    I feel better.........
    Thanks and enjoy your weekend,
    RG

4. jbarr89

jbarr89 Rookie

Jul 14, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I think he was referring to brake fluid having a tendency to absorb moisture and you wouldn't want your brake lines rusting from the inside out.