Why two distributers? | FerrariChat

Why two distributers?

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, Nov 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    As I continue to learn about my new, first Ferrari (328), I am trying to understand some of the design choices Ferrari made. One of those choices that I cannot see any advantage in at all is their decision to use twin distributers. I can't think of a reason where two dists would be better than one; in fact, it seems the opposite to me, including the fact that with two, the ignition timing could be wrong for half the engine. But since Ferrari COULD have used a single dist but chose not to, there must be some advantage that I am not seeing.

Can anyone enlighten be as to why this would be a better choice than a single distributer?

Also related, are the distributer housing/cap on the 328 fixed in position? Can they be rotated to adjust timing or is that strictly a function of the microplex? I realize I could determine this by looking at the dist but I am 3000 miles from my car...

Thanks!

2. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    In a two distributor system, the the rotor shaft can run half normal speed OR can have adjustments spaced out for greater procision. Coil energy is divided amungst 4 plugs and can build and deliver energy faster than serving 8 hungry gaps. Breaker float can be a problem at high rpm and this virtually elliminates that, and provides for more accuracy and less jitter in timing. Ideal is every cylinder having it's dedicated spark plug, coil, and control...and this is not found on many high proformance motors.

Obvoiously 2 distributors carries is burdened by reliability issues, greater setting labor, and cost.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Nov 8, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
    I agree that using two or one distrubutor caps is not a whole lot better one versus the other, but some disadvantages for using a single cap are:

1. the spark plug wires for one bank get a little longish -- so routing is a bit messy and the wires for the two banks have slightly different electrical characteristics, and

2. to fit the 8 contacts inside the cap and not have cross-firing, the physical size of the cap needs to be somewhat bigger.

Nothing inside the 328 distributors affects WHEN the firing events occur, so even if you did rotate them (and you can't), it wouldn't change the ignition timing -- it's all controlled by the Microplex ecu setting the appropriate delay from when the TDC sensor signals occur. So on a 328 you really can't have "the ignition timing could be wrong for half the engine" (although 1/2 could go missing if a bank has a problem). That is possible on a carbed US 308; however, for that model they had a good reason to use the two distributors because there weren't modern ecus available, and they couldn't easily fit the 4 point sets inside the euro 8 cyl single distrubutor.

4. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    #4 Brian Harper, Nov 8, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
    It is also about coil charge/dwell time. Your Chevy V8 with its redline at 5500 rpm has just enough time to adequately charge the coil to make a spark. Your Ferrari V8 spinning at 8000 has far less time to saturate the coil for a good spark. Your Ferrari V12 spinning at 8000 - fuhgetaboutit. (Is my math right? That's a plug firing every .00125 second?) The answer is to use two coils to get your saturation time back up for good spark. How to use two coils and one distributor? Easier to use two distributors.

Sort of. As long as they are perfectly matched in the timing curves with their springs and weights and lubrication, etc.

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I agree with you guys that there is a very valid technical reason for using the two coils, but this doesn't require using two distributor caps -- in fact, carbed euro 308 use two coils and one distributor.

6. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Marelli made 12 cylinder distributors with 4 sets of points at that time that worked just fine (when new and set-up correctly).

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I said "easily", not "because they absolutely couldn't" -- also a 12 cyl cap tends to be larger than an 8 cyl cap.

8. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    Early 308s have 1 distributor and 2 coils, the number of coils in not related to the number of distributors but rather to their design.

9. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    I'm not so sure about that, Stratos. Original blueprints for the 308 engine (F106AL000) show two distributors, and pictures of early manufacturing (1973-74) of the 308 engine show two distributors. IIRC the Euro 308s got single distributors in 1977-78.

10. tifosi013

tifosi013 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2005
    Fresno, Cal.
    Full Name:
    Larry Powell
    I believe Ferrari used two distributors from early on for both availability and relaibility reasons.
    The twelve cylinder cars used two six cylinder distributors because that is what was available
    in post war Italy from Marelli, the major manufacturer of such items. Since both the Columbo
    and Lampredi V-12's were a two-cam engines, it was an easy matter to drive each distributor
    off one of the camshafts.

Maserati and Ferrari also used two distributors with dual plug heads on four and six cylinder engines,
    for reliability. This is still done on virtually all certified aircraft engines. You can have one fail and
    still get where you're going.

The coil dwell/ satuation etc. and RPM arguments are so 1955! Tomorrow and every weekend around
    the world, thousands of racing V-8 engines will turn 7500-9500 RPM continuously for 500 miles. In the
    case of the Corvette Team, 24 hours at LeMans, Daytona etc. They have ONE distributor and ONE coil.
    Their cylinder pressures are considerably greater than any 328 or 355 going down the road at 75 MPH.
    Ignition failure/ breakdown is almost unheard of.

With today's electronic, computer controlled ignitions, it's surprising they use a distributor at all. It's a
    lot of uneeded monkey-motion. Crank sensor triggered, individual coils, located the the cylinders would
    make far more sense. Ask Delco-Remy, Bosch, and the F-1 guys.

11. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Having personally revved big Pontiac V8's to 8000 rpm with points ignition, the agument there isnt enough dwell time doesnt entirely hold water. But you need a better ditributor than the garbage they came with, more like a Mallory or Accel dual point distributor.

In the early 308, as far as I have been able to determine, each distributor was a dual point unit with points 180 degrees opposed. Whether to cut costs, or perhaps because it was found unnecessary, the cars went to a single unit with two sets of points offset 135 degrees, each point set operating one bank, and a dual rotor two plane cap with 8 plug wires.

For 1977 and to meet US emissions, they reverted to the dual distributor, but for entirely different reasoning. In the US dual distributor cars, each distributor has two sets of points specified as R1 and R2, with the second set (R2) opposed at 185 degrees. The two points sets are isolated from each other by insulating the R2 points base and running a ground wire to a throttle controlled microswitch. This gives the result of retarding ignition timing at idle so the car could pass emissions a bit better, and that they could not fit 4 sets of points into that distributor. Once enough throttle was applied, the throttle switch cut the R2 points set and the car reverted to R1 only and ran as a single points ignition. Basically its a dual point ignition, but by dropping the second set, and having the second set opposed an additional 5 degrees, they achieve a full 10 degree retard when set up properly.

In a true dual point, each point set can run slightly less points gap, and between the two sets, which are slightly spread from each other, broaden the effective dwell period. This puts less strain on each set of points, longer dwell makes a bit more power, and between the two allow higher rpm with better performance. But only slightly. The 308 running only R1 points makes just as much power and revs just as well as anything else.

But perhaps the best reason for dual distributors, they look really cool.

12. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Interesting - the idea that it started that way because that's what was available makes a lot of sense. Wonder why, by 1989, for example, it was still necessary. There were plenty of 8 cyl distributers around and used on engines that turned equal or higher RPM - if Marelli didn't make them, certainly Bosch did and since Ferrari used Bosch FI, can't think why they wouldn't have used their dists but maybe it was a governmental requirement - X amount of parts MUST be Italian? DId Marelli actually make an 8 cyl distributer at the time?

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ferrari 12 and 8 cylinder caps and distributors are exactly the same size. All Euro C4's had 4 sets of points and fit quite well.

In the cars with actual distributors the bodies were the same part.

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    All 4 cycle motors ignition rotors and distributor shafts turn at 50% of crankshaft speed. It is just the way things work.

15. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    winner!

You get a much hotter spark at high rpm with 2 coils. You can get away with 1 on a V8 but point life would be short with the coil you'd want to run. On a 12 there really isn't a choice...not if you want to make hp anyway.

16. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    The cool thing about using two four cyl dist caps for two coils (which is on some 308s) instead of a single distributor cap that has two levels in it to distribute two different coils (which is on some 308s) is that you can use a standard four cylinder distributor cap that is widely available and cheap and already tooled up for that has distributors already being made them, etc. How easy and smart to use an Alfa dist cap and just use two of them! Brilliant!

Of course Ferrari used a distribtor on the early 308s shared only with the Jalpa, apparently, whith a cap that is different from everything else on the planet. How cool is that?

17. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    There are technical reasons to use a single distributor which have been described above.
    Using 2 is a convenience/compromise.

18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Geez -- what is with you guys! I didn't say there ARE larger, I said they TEND to be larger. If they are not in this case - fine.

OK, if the C4 distributor is such a great design, why do you think that Ferrari didn't use it for US carbed 308? And why haven't you sent a letter to Ferrari, Spa demanding that they change back? ;)

19. BlueMax

BlueMax Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2006
    Norfolk, VA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Actually, I think it's the other way around... crankshaft 50% of cam (rotor) speed...

20. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Actually not. On all 4-stroke engines, the distributor turns at half the speed of the crankshaft.

21. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Agreed. Just this evening I confirmed this empirically :):). I started putting an electromotive in my carb 308. I know to some it is heresy. I do like the look of the dual distributors. Anyway, my wife always helps me. The first time we found the PM1-4 mark the rotor wasn't near #1. I had to come around another rotation on the crankshaft before we found it. I have the urge to pull the cam covers to be sure but I know we're there. (It's hard to see just removing the oil filler cap.)

Seamus

22. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    A four stroke engine is such because the piston makes four "strokes". Up, down, up, and back down again. In order they are: intake, compressionpower (going down), exhaust (going up),. It is specifically at the top of the compression stroke (actually just before) where where the ignition spark occures and propels the POWER stroke. Only by turning half speed can the ignition and cam timing stay on concert with the two revolutions of the crankshaft, which are thus required to occomplish four strokes.