NY PLATES-355 | FerrariChat

NY PLATES-355

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by ForzaItalia06, Nov 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ForzaItalia06

ForzaItalia06 Karting

Nov 15, 2008
    This may sound a bit absurd but I truly dont know... are you required to put a front license plate in NY and if so where the heck do you put it?

2. mcb001982

mcb001982 Karting

Aug 10, 2006
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Yes by NYS law you're required to have a front plate. Contact your local dealer to get a bracket "if they even make 1 - I'm not sure". Or you can do what most people do with exotics and that is just drive with out it and hope you don't get pulled over. If you do get a ticket depending where it is, it's normally no more than $85ish for the fine. Most people rather pay that than drill into the bumper. If you plan on driving the car often well you will need to figure something out.... Hope that helps.

3. J430S

J430S Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2008
    NY
    Full Name:
    John M
    One of the best suggestions I have seen here about this is to bring it to kinko's and have them photocopy your plate onto a sticker.

4. ForzaItalia06

ForzaItalia06 Karting

Nov 15, 2008
    I got a suggestion that says I should keep the plate in my car attatched to a plate frame and if pulled over(inevitable) say it just fell off... sound any good?

5. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Depends on the cop and his or her mood.

6. ForzaItalia06

ForzaItalia06 Karting

Nov 15, 2008
    well drilling into the bumper is not something I want to do ...for sure

7. 95Aero

95Aero Karting

Dec 14, 2007
    Stamford
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    well another option is placing it on the dash like so many Euro ricers do these days.... .........but I wouldnt recomend it cause I cant imagine a flying licence plate being too safe in the event of an accident.

8. rr87

rr87 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2007
    Europe
    I would never drill a hole in a Ferrari bumper. I would use the sticker idea and have the plate in the trunk in case the cop is not in a good mood.

9. Weaselwee

Weaselwee Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2005
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Jim
    ...I was pulled over without my front plate on my '94 Trans Am. I kept it in the car. The cops understood. You can explain that you didn't want to drill into the car. It worked for me.

Jim

10. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I keep a plate in the cabin, but I'm almost never driving in NY. It's the law in NJ too, but it's never been a problem for me.

11. millemiglia01

millemiglia01 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2004
    the north shore li
    Full Name:
    amante
    TAKE THE TICKET.....

12. millemiglia01

millemiglia01 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2004
    the north shore li
    Full Name:
    amante
    could have something to do with all the stars and medals and whatnot on your plate HOMIE

13. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Smash the plate. Crush it. Hit it with a brick. Run it over. Bend it in half. Burn it. (They burn pretty easily.)

Put it in a zip lock freezer bag. When the cop says, "Where's your front plate?" say, "My car was in a bad accident and I'm waiting for the DMV to send me a replacement."

Works every time. Even in California.

14. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    Sheer brilliance from Emil.

15. smooth

smooth Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2005
    They must be dumb. You can get a Ferrari fixed, faster than the state of California can manufacture a license plate ??

16. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    I can, yes.

...and for what it's worth, they won't re-manufacture your plate. They'll send you 2 new ones. Which takes about a day. Or you can go to the DMV and pick up new ones instantly.

17. Smyrna355Spider

Smyrna355Spider F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That's great and I would buy it. I might add if stopped that even if I had the new plate I have to special order a mounting bracket which obviously the car does not have from the factory and that takes a long time.That just incase same officer sees you a couple of weeks later. Best excuse I have ever heard. For what its worth, I think the front tag law is in the top 10 most ridiculous laws ever created.

18. ForzaItalia06

ForzaItalia06 Karting

Nov 15, 2008
    Im going with keeping the front plate somewhere in the car and hopefully I dont get a hardazz cop..... but there is no way Im drilling or pasting a plate holder for my car.. I wonder if we start a petition to excuse front plates on exotics if it would ever work...anyone have friends in Albany?

19. Smyrna355Spider

Smyrna355Spider F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #19 Smyrna355Spider, Nov 22, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
    I don't want to stray way off topic but I have provided statistics from my home state which does not have a front tag requirement in comparison to states that do for another thread posted about 6 months ago. It simply showed that the crime stats involving vehicles(ie solved cases) had no definitive difference between states with and those without front tags( easily found on the net). Secondly, it is my understanding the front tag requirement is based upon the belief that is allows easier identification by witnesses and officers. So if that basic premise is true, let's be realistic and examine the need for an exotic to have the front tag. I understand that 10,000 blue honda accords are probably within 100 miles of any location but I don't think you are going to find 100 exotics in the same geographic area in total. Anyway, the best suggestion I heard from the other thread was proposing a simple exemption tax for cars not required to display the front plate. The criteria would be a car qualifies that is a limited production import and does not have a factory standardized front plate mount. That way the state gets its added money they would have from the extra plate requirement and the exotic car owner doesn't have to destroy his or her front bumper with a drill.
    Just an idea but I wish we could all get together and challenge the law now as I fear it will one day pass as law in my state. I would sign the petition!!!!!!

20. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Do they have the convicts in the basement of CA DMV stamping out new ones all day ? :)

21. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    No. Emil has convicts in HIS basement.

22. ZetteOh6

ZetteOh6 Karting

Aug 16, 2007
    New York City
    #22 ZetteOh6, Dec 3, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
    The problem isn't when you're driving. As long as you have the plate, and a reasonable excuse, they don't care. The problem is when you park your car and leave it. Once you park it, you are more likely to get one because now you are likely to get a ticket from not only a cop, but from one of the trillion DOT enforcers and meter maids in NY.

23. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    That is also true. :)

24. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    I was wondering if anyone could convince Albany to create a new "style" of plate that was in the European shape. Albany/NYCity and the rest are always looking for ways to get a little more money to cover the billions in shortfall-vanity plates for instance. It might not be so bad having a front plate if it was in the European style. Probably would screw up some system that is dependent on a uniform size for the plates.

25. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm not exactrly sure how the 355 front end works, BUT - I have the plates attached in my 308 with a cable tie -- going through the grill. Can take it off anytime. Just makes me more at ease that I'm not tempting a potentially p-off cop.