Anyone changed their stitching/piping color | FerrariChat

Anyone changed their stitching/piping color

Discussion in '360/430' started by ChampIII, Dec 16, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ChampIII

ChampIII Karting

Oct 27, 2008
    I am looking at an F430 black on black. I would like to change/dye the red stitching/piping black to match the black leather. Anyone had any experience with this? I would be grateful for any suggestions.

2. P-FACTOR

P-FACTOR Rookie

Jan 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Not sure where you are located, but call Dave from Car Nutz Customz upholstery.

www.carnutzcustomz.com
    425-641-7000

3. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    I would be curious if a black dye would work; then you could do it yourself?
    maybe test a spot somewhere?

4. Miner_31

Miner_31 Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    DIY on an F430 seems like a bad idea. Even with a test spot.

You could probably get an upholstery shop to do it for you, or just look for the car that is perfect for you - there is a lot out there right now.

5. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If you're in Socal, call Fernando at Prestige Auto Upholstery. He recovered and re-stitched a pair of sport seats I had in my last 360. 818-753-9606.

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Remember, Ferrari's are special. The paint can't get wet and the thread is different. :)

+1 on Fernando. ;)

7. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Completely agree with your objective. I am big fan of simple black interiors. On my last 599 I got extra thick black stitching on black Daytona seats and it looked fantastic. My Scuderia is all black interior in standard tech fabric with black stitching and it looks fantastic IMO.

The right expert must be able to do a professional dye job. Good luck!

8. ChampIII

ChampIII Karting

Oct 27, 2008
    Thank you very much for the feedback.

9. EVONick

EVONick Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    If the dye job is over piping in a high traffic area, it may wear over time. I had red piping on a red/tan 308, and had it dyed tan. Not only did I not like the feel/look of a surface dye, but over time it rubbed off where I slid past it getting into the seat.

I would imagine that car upholstery is vat-dyed? So the color really permeates. Surface dyes (presumably) contain a lot of pigment and are more like a "paint" for leather.

I would consult an expert if my limited experience and opinion strike a chord with you.

10. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Dying will never ever look right or last. Your only option is to have the seats re-done so budget for that job. Another option is to trade interiors with someone who wants the red. The change over is easy and a fraction of the money you would spend on a re-upholster can be used as an incentive for a trade. That way the car remains original Ferrari with no story to affect its resale.

11. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    I personally think there will be no perfect after market dye; it will be faded over a period of time that will look even worse; moreover watch out your shirt & pant as well, the color might get onto it.