Best Ferrari and why? | FerrariChat

Best Ferrari and why?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Rmart8288, Dec 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rmart8288

Rmart8288 Karting

Dec 28, 2008
    Chino, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert M.
    In my opinion the best Ferrari isn't technically a Ferrari. Its the Dino 206 GT. This car is the best because it laid the foundation for the sub 12 cylinder engine Ferraris. Without the Dino 206 GT there wouldn't have been the F40, 288 GTO 308, 328, 348, 355, etc. Enzo did not want to diminish the Ferrari brand so he started the Dino brand with a 6 cylinder engine -- in honor of his son Alfredo. It was not until the Dino 308 GT4 2+2 that the 8 cylinder was first used. The sub 12 cylinder Ferraris are response for much of the company's success in recent decades.

2. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    I guess it depends on your definition of "best."

Yes, I love the 206 Dino, and it's on my list of "wanted cars." And I can't argue with your point about its significance in Ferrari history and its influence on all of the mid-engined 8-cylinder models that came after.

I think others might define "best" a bit differently, though:

Best handling?
    Best reliability?
    Fastest?
    Most true to Ferrari's heritage?
    Most beautiful?
    Best value?
    Best daily driver?
    Most practical?

I tend to prefer the pre-360 cars because I don't like a lot of unnecessary electronic gadgetry, F1 shifting, or even power windows (although my 308 has them, dang it!) I think that the next evolution of the Dino, the 308 GTB, is simply the most beautiful car ever built. Plus, the excellent handling makes it a blast to drive, even if you don't have 400 hp. But that's just me.

Check out the thread "Why so much Cali hate?" if you haven't already, and read up on what F-chatters believe a Ferrari "should" be. Lots of heated exchanges, which I predict will happen here if this thread takes off. ;)

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    328. Not the best in every category, but if you score all the street Ferraris on these criteria it would probably rate at or near the top.

The F40 was my first urge, because it is a racing car for the road, delivered on Enzo's watch, still fast by the standards we use 20 years later, and I think it looks great. But, it's bad value, impractical and kind of hard to be a daily driver.

I love several of the 1960s Ferraris, but in terms of reliability, handling and practicality they would probably rate at or near the bottom.

4. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    As usual, I agree with you, Bullfighter.

Just one question: What has the 328 got over the 308, in your opinion?

5. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #5 Bullfighter, Dec 30, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
    Reliability and better handling (especially in U.S. spec). The 308 and 328 look the same to most non-enthusiasts, but the improvements under the skin are extensive. It really was a bigger step than you'd guess from the sheet metal.

That said, I've always liked 308s and almost bought a fantastic black/red '85 before I bought my 328.

6. yeskay

yeskay Rookie

Dec 10, 2008
    concord, CA
    Full Name:
    Kumar
    Hello:
    what is the difference between post 88.5 328 and pre 328 in terms of reliability/maintenance. only noticeable is the power steering, ABS and suspension geometry. does that mean they are hard to find/maintenance technology. what exactly changed in suspension geometry. is it really worth shopping for post 88.5 models.

7. costa

costa Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Costantino Bertuzzi
    Best Ferrari ? The next one

8. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #8 PAP 348, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Ehh... looks like a knock off... Steering wheel is on the wrong side!;):D

10. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    .....and the door flung open!

11. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
  12. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Even worse.... AUSSIE Fiero!

13. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Just wait for the Major on that one!

14. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Ha ha ha!! Funny ****ers arent you? :D:D

15. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I hope you ALL have a great night lads!! :):)

Im off to drink at a mates place, then probably head out to the local for a few more. :):)

Take care and stay safe friends. :):)

16. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No differences that I know of in terms of reliability or maintenance, other than the Teves ABS which has its own sensors. The suspension geometry was changed to reduce front end "dive" under braking, IIRC.

All 328s are relatively reliable by Ferrari standards, and fairly simple cars compared to what came later. The consensus on 88.5 versus the earlier cars seems to come down to whether you want the revised suspension and whether you can tolerate the look of the convex "hub cap" style wheels that were fitted.

I would say find the best 328 you can, get it inspected by a reputable Ferrari tech, and don't worry about which year it is. They were all quite good, because Ferrari had already had a decade to debug the 308.

In the course of looking for a car, you'll probably find more red/tan '89s available, just because those were the "investment" cars that everyone put away without driving.

17. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    If you eliminate the GT4 from the list of comparisons... ;)

Can't argue FI for reliability though.

GT4 is also more practical for any trip that requires you bring more than a change of shoes! :p

18. migg48

migg48 Karting

Jul 7, 2006
    I'm thinking of buying a 328 for use, not storage. I'd probably drive it about 600 miles/month locally in SoCal. Can anyone tell me if this is a good idea or am I asking for numerous trips to the Ferrari physician.

Thanks

19. Dilancer

Dilancer F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Dilan B.
    :D :D :D You guys crack me up. I think Pap payed the same price as a real 348 here in the US for that knock off out there in Aus.

20. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    I think you've probably chosen the best candidate for the job. . .

A 328 should be able to handle this quite easily, as long as it's been well cared-for until now, and you continue to take care of it.

Do plan to include trips to the "Ferrari physician," but if the 328 is in decent shape to start with, these trips will be for routine checkups and wellness, not for major surgery.

Have fun.

21. GO-RAN

GO-RAN Karting

Nov 22, 2006
    TORONTO
    I dont own a ferrari, and might never own one. But if i had to choose one it would definatly be the F40. It might not be a excellent daily driver, the most reliable, or the easiest to drive. But the sole fact of knowing, if i ever get a chance to own one it wont leave my possession or be in the garage to frequently is good enough for me.

22. ferrari sulla pellicola

ferrari sulla pellicola Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2004
    Los angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard
    +1