Want to help out a local San Jose business with a Ferrari Car Show | FerrariChat

Want to help out a local San Jose business with a Ferrari Car Show

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by JonRobertQuinn, Jan 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JonRobertQuinn

JonRobertQuinn Karting

Dec 10, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    Ive got some friends that opened a little coffee shop about 5 years ago in San Jose called Coffee on the Patio. Its off of Bascom Ave. Everything was falling into place. They had a great location right off the freeway, great product and nice loyal following because there werent any other coffee shops in the area. Everything was great for them for about 6 months until Starbucks caught on and opened up in the neighboring shopping center. For 4 years now, the couple Gary and DeeDee have given up their home for a smaller one, filed bankruptcy, maxed out credit cards and worked everyday hoping that their business would flourish.

This isnt a sob story I am telling here, I just want to help them. They helped me when I was playing music for a living by always making me welcome to perform even if it was for the same people each week.

What I want to do is, orchestrate a nice gathering of exotic cars, create a nice family friendly event that is maybe monthly or bimonthly. We would have live music, art and wine and make this little coffee shop known for something other their great coffee.

The event would generate money for their business by 1) bringing new people to their business in hopes of repeat business and 2) the event would hopefully raise enough money to help them cover their rent for the month and give them just a little bit of fresh air when it comes to rent time.

I wouldnt pocket a penny out of the event. I am simply trying to help some old friends.

In 2005, the starbucks had just opened and their business started to suffer. I would play for free 2 to 3 times per month in their Coffee shop to bring new heads in, but Starbucks started hosting their open mic and live entertainment. It just became too hard for me to drive from Sacramento to San Jose once a week to play for free. I walked into their shop this past weekend after our meet in Dublin and things were still the same... They had new regulars that stubled upon their great little shop, but it was just enough to cover their bills and rent. They still host open mic night and live entertainment as well as wine tasting and art shows. I want them to be successful. They had a great thing going until the competition down the street took more than half of their business.

I think if we all work together, we can help create something that is good for them and fun for us at the same time. Create a fun family event to help their business. Theyve got a huge parking lot, as most of the businesses in their shopping center are closed over the weekend.

What is your take on this? Do you think its possible?

2. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Sounds interesting, Bascom is nearby Willow Glen.

Maybe we should just figure out how to get the Starbucks closed? :)

On another note, have they sat down and analyzed their business and figured out why they are losing customers to Starbucks? What is their competitive advantage? What are they good at that they should do more off and what are they bad at that they should either stop or improve? Have they done a SWAT analysis? If Starbucks is offering a better product, don't blame them. Maybe we can help them improve their business...

Anyway, I'd bring my 348...

Kai

3. JonRobertQuinn

JonRobertQuinn Karting

Dec 10, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    Ive sat down with them. For a period, they brought in a Deli company to sell sandwiches around lunch time for the lunch crowd. That became difficult because the two of them became overwhelmed with making sandwiches for each customer, but still didnt make enough money to hire somebody to make the sandwiches for them. They have a gourmet hot dog company contracted in there now to sell hot dogs. They are good and it brings in a few extra dollars.

The trouble with starbucks is volume... they have the volume to offer the same coffee at 1) a better price 2) they have a larger staff to supply and when people are on the way to work, that makes a difference. I think starbucks has a great thing going for them. They are everywhere and consistant and I think thats the main issue here.

Maybe its just that they are now competing with a giant. You want the same coffee wherever you go whether youre in Reno or China and starbucks can deliver. People dont like change and that starbucks they got on the corner is more familiar than the coffee at Coffee on the Patio.

I think that if we create a reason for people to go to their shop, a sense of familiarity, each 3rd sunday of the month or something of the like, maybe we can create habit in people to shop in their store. Its really a nice and cozy place. But hell, if I saw them and a starbucks next door, Id probably walk into starbucks too.

So, what do they do? Close up and start over? I say, never give up. This event may be a way to make them stronger.

What would work best as far as dates for you guys? 2nd and 4th sunday of each month is Euro Sunday, so lets not step on their toes.

What if we did 3rd sunday of the month. Maybe a Saturday? How early? 9am or 10am?

They have a small stage or entertainers. Make it a little parking lot concours with art, wine and music.

4. vsnqust

vsnqust Karting

Mar 28, 2004
    Next to roland
    Target a demographic like motorcycle riders.. Motorcycle riders will routinely meet once a week just to get out, ride and talk with folks about their trips, bikes, etc...
    Then word of mouth will spread on the location... try http://www.southbayriders.com/.. In colorado there is coffee house all the motorcycle folks meet at on thursday night at 7pm.
    I found out from southbayriders there is a coffee shop in santa cruz, ca where all the motorcycle folks meet on wednesday night.. in regards to the bay area all I ever hear is go
    up to alices.. okay well how about somewhere in the south bay... sounds like you might have a good spot!!

Though I agree they should sit down and do a SWAT and also a 5 year plan if they have not... also sometimes failing in a business helps us succeed in the next.. perhaps it
    is time to let this one go before it destroys them emotionally and financially. Do they have a website? Have they thought about offering a coffee/sandwich delivery service to local
    businesses by reaching out to silicon valley companies? I know routinely there are meetings in silicon valley businesses where sandwiches and drinks are brought in from outside.
    Building a relationship with business will help bring more customers in since they now know your product.. Create a recurring event every week that folks know about that is unique!

Having a small business is a tough road... I wish them the best!!

5. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Your friends should take a look at other small, family-owned coffee shops who are doing well despite Starbucks' omnipresence.

We have a little place called Coffee Society over here in Cupertino which is alway full of people and there are two Starbucks and a Peets within a mile. Of course, having DeAnza College across the street helps, but there's a Starbucks every bit as close as Coffee Society.

My wife and I seek out the smaller, family-owned shops as we actually prefer the coffee and ambience over the corporate spots.

Having a car show there is interesting, but that's band-aide to the real problem of attracting a solid, repeat customer base.

If you do organize a show... definitely market it here and on Luxury4play.com. We regularly gather at Santana Row, so moving for one Saturday to another location likely wouldn't be that big an issue.

Frank

6. JonRobertQuinn

JonRobertQuinn Karting

Dec 10, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    These are all great ideas for them. I knew I would get good feedback for these guys from here. The delivery service is fantastic. I still think the event would be a lot of fun tho. Something you can bring the kids to and the parents can relax or just leave the kids at home. Anyother thoughts?

7. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #7 ylshih, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
    I don't think that trying to change the locale from SR to this other site 1 day a month would work well. One of the reasons SR works is because everyone who is interested knows when and where it is and if they have a free morning they just head over. Variant schedules (every Saturday except 3rd Saturdays, etc, etc) tend to dilute that formula and people just forget. Another reason SR works is because the family can go shopping while the car guys hang out; i.e. it works for everyone.

The location is 1 or 2 exits away from Santana Row. My gut feel is that you're most likely to get a few cars to head over from SR, say about 11AM-noon for a lunch-time extension rather than making it a separate meet in almost the same area on a different day.

You'd have to make the lunch-time event attractive to SR regulars for some reason more than wanting to help your friends out. E.g. good food, music, etc. Otherwise people will come by once to see what's going on, but they won't plan on extending their day on a regular basis. Some folks stay around for lunch at SR, but those who didn't bring their families to go shopping have just used up their car time credits with the family and need to get back home. If the event is family friendly, that might help guys bring their families and extend their time.

How is the parking lot, Saturday at lunchtime? Enough room for cars in groups or will nice cars be mixed up with family vans and trucks that don't care?

8. lateralus

lateralus Karting

Sep 6, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Do they offer free wireless internet access? That and easy power access is something that could be a factor in pulling customers away from Starbucks.

9. JonRobertQuinn

JonRobertQuinn Karting

Dec 10, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    Yes they do... free wifi. Theyve got couches tables to sit and relax.

10. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Wow... I literally live walking distance from this place, and I had no idea it was there! I'll have to go give it a look.

I don't know squat about running a small business, but I can tell you something that another small business near Santa Clara U. is doing that works(/worked for me, anyway!). There's an ice cream shop on Park Ave. @ Locust St. called "Blondies." On Mondays, they do $1 cones or cups. My wife and I heard about this, and we made it pretty much a weekly pilgrimage every Monday during the summer. We'd ride our bikes there to at least *attempt* to get some sort of exercise out of the deal. Nowadays, when the craving strikes for ice cream, do you think we go to Santana Row (Ben & Jerry's) or Valley Fair (Coldstone) for ice cream? Hell no - we go to Blondies, and not necessarily on Mondays, either!

Perhaps your friends could do something similar like $1 house coffees on a particular day to attract first-time customers. With Santa Clara U. just down the road, it seems like there's a potential gold mine of caffiene-hungry coeds who also need to pinch their pennies, and a cheap cup might be just the ticket to get them in the door... Just down the street at Bascom & Newhall is a bar called the Normandie House Lounge that always has SCU students inside, and across the street and down another 1/2 block is a Chinese Restaurant called Chef Ming's where we see students frequently, as well, so the kids ARE willing to travel that far from campus.

Another thing that just came to mind is the university's dining card system - I think they're called "Bronco Bucks" or something along those lines. I believe it's basically a pre-paid meal card that's accepted at places on- and off-campus. If the coffee shop was able to get set up to accept those (along with advertising on-campus), that might be another way to attract students that would otherwise shy away due to their cash-poor nature...

Just thinkin' out loud here, really - hope it helps...

11. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    +1

These are all great ideas... this is a good brain-storming exercise. I hope a couple of these ideas resonate with the coffee shop owners.

12. JonRobertQuinn

JonRobertQuinn Karting

Dec 10, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    Wow. I am getting a lot more than I bargained for here.. These are all excellent ideas and I will sit down with them and discuss each of these topics. This is all really really good stuff... Thank you all so so much.

13. Terculees

Terculees Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrei C.

I work at UC Davis, and we have a similar thing here, Aggie Cash. Basically, you buy a pre-paid card, and use it for food at both on and participating off-campus locations. Starbucks doesn't participate in this, but the indie coffee shops do, and do quite well. The premise is that anyone that uses the card gets 10% off their meal/drink/whatever. Most of these cards are purchased by parents in supplement to a meal plan for freshmen, but staff and faculty use them too because of the discount.

Another thing they can offer is specialty gourmet coffee. We have an independent coffee shop in Davis called Mishka's that is so successfull, they're contracting a company to build them an entirely new two story building with a balcony. The secret to their success? Always having fresh croissants and sandwitches (Brought in every morning by an outside bakery), candy truffles and cakes and gourmet coffee you can't get anywhere else. Pre-prepared food from an outside vendor is the way to go, all the staff has to do is warm up a croissant in the microwave. I go there because they can brew me a mean cup of Illy espresso... hard to find but worth every penny!!!

In addition to free wifi, they have power outlets next to or underneath every table. During finals, the place is crammed with students, and everyone has a laptop.

All these things make Mishka's a huge success. Did I mention they don't even take credit cards? ;-)

And there is a starbuck's literally around the corner from this place. It's not empty, but never has the crowd of this shop.

14. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    FWIW, the only reason I go to Starbucks in the morning is because they have hot breakfast sandwiches...

-mick

15. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I had one today. I think they put crack in those things.......

16. JonRobertQuinn

JonRobertQuinn Karting

Dec 10, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    they do something to them. When I was on the road with the music thing. 2 or 3 of those day... yeah, thats energy

17. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
    Is Calo going to throw another BBQ soon?

18. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    The girl I am dating lives right around the corner from your friends shop. I have noticed every time I go by, they are closed, yet the Starbucks is open. Or at least have the apperance of being closed from the street. Their location leaves a lot to be desired imo.

19. JonRobertQuinn

JonRobertQuinn Karting

Dec 10, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    I have tried calling and calling and calling and calling to get them to read this post for all of the great ideas people have had and they never answer their phone... hmmmm, thats says a lot. So, screw it. Nevermind the whole thing. I cant help somebody that doesnt want the help.

20. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    +1... The wife and I walked over there on Monday afternoon to try it out - closed after 2pm daily!

21. Terculees

Terculees Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrei C.
    Are you serious? Next to a college campus? Everyone knows prime studying hours for college students are 6-9PM, that's when the coffee really starts flowing. Throw some sandwiches into the mix and you're good!
    I won't blame them if they don't open at 6am on a saturday like SBUX, but closing at 2 is unacceptable.

22. JonRobertQuinn

JonRobertQuinn Karting

Dec 10, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    Oh well... As you dig a little, you see where the source of the problem really is. Do they expect to make any money if they arent open for business. ****, if its 11pm and I am still awake and the phone rings, I am there to answer it.

We all have our answer. Not worth my time to drive all the way down there and organize this event, if they arent taking the time to stay open. Oh well... end of discussion.

23. Terculees

Terculees Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrei C.
    I wholeheartedly disagree. Their business practices need an overhaul, yes, but I would love to come out and give them the support, especially if it's with a group of exotics. If I owned a business and was making business decisions, I would appreciate a smack upside the head combined with the support of people that still appreciate what I do; as opposed to groups of people deciding not to patronize the business for reasons not actually related to the quality of my product/service. Scheduling this with Santana Row is a different story though...

24. JonRobertQuinn

JonRobertQuinn Karting

Dec 10, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    I went down to their business and we had a long talk about what we can do collaboratively to build their business. I have spent the last week and a half calling and leaving messages and not getting calls returned and now I hear they are closing their business down at 2pm everyday...I am not Gordon Ramsey. I have to do what is needed to build my businesses. I dont have the time to babysit them and walk them thru building their business. They have no website, they dont stay open past 2, they dont answer their phone. Howelse do they plan to stay open?