Just Bought the eBay 360 Spider! | FerrariChat

Just Bought the eBay 360 Spider!

Discussion in '360/430' started by drchako, Jan 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drchako

drchako Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Palo Alto, CA
    #1 drchako, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110338520139

My marriage may crumble because of it, but at this price I couldn't pass it up. I have researched this car as best I could. There was even a thread about it here on F-chat:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221783&highlight=birmingham+PPI

I think this was the car previously owned by Vince Bruno. I realize it may not be in perfect condition, but I intend to drive the wheels off it. I would like F-chat community input on a couple things. First of all, I'm not bothered by the mileage at all. What bugs me a little bit is a conversation I just had with the sales rep. After we agreed on a price, I told him I was booking my tickets to come out and see the car (we both agreed that the sale could be voided without penalty if the car did not pass an independant PPI). "Hold on a sec," he said. "The car isn't here, exactly."

Huh?

Turns out the convertible top needed a repair, so they brought the car to Ferrari of Atlanta. Great! Just tell me when it comes back and I'll book the flight. That was yesterday. Well, I just got off the phone and he said that on the way back from Atlanta to Birmingham a light came on saying that the top was having issues. He said they brought the car right back to Atlanta and it would be in perfect condition before we finalized the sale. As you may see from the eBay feedback, they have a 100% rating, so I'm not too worried. I am worried about one thing, though - they were driving the car back to B-ham, as opposed to shipping it. Granted, it's only about a 150 miles, but isn't that a bit strange?

Anyway, wish me luck with the rest of the sale. If all goes well, I'll be posting pics here real soon.

-DrC

2. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Excellent looking 360
    Shes beautiful
    Keep us posted on the results

3. masar

masar Formula 3

Aug 19, 2007
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Petr
    Nice looking car! Congrats, hope everything will turn ok.

4. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    hope the top was up, hope it wasn't raining.

hope it all turns out ok

this is a time for endless hope, except

that is a nice car, and the price, well, looks great too. good luck

5. rcm360

rcm360 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Reese
    I-20 is a great road and if I were them I would have driven it too. I drove that highway once a month for three years. Congrats!

6. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    Nice one :). Don't forget, anything under 8000 RPM is for wimps! ;)

7. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Love the color combo. Not an F-1 fan but that "appears" to be quite a buy.

8. BOOMER7

BOOMER7 Karting

Jan 3, 2009
    Great car! I have a chance to buy a 2003 Black Spider 360 with 18k for miles at 95k here local. I'm thinking that or an 05 Gallardo same money.

9. Fiorano1

Fiorano1 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2004
    Coral Springs, FL
    Full Name:
    Haywood Jabloemi
    ....and pussee's too.... :D

10. oldchop

oldchop Rookie

Jan 1, 2009
    Nice car and congrats, would be great if comes with full records (you can run vin with any dealer and if dealer serviced they can tell you when last major, etc. done). Would suggest getting serviced at dealer up to date if not already up to date, especially tensioners and belts. You should be happy with it assuming all inspects well.

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Congratulations one a great looking 360, that interior is classic.
    Please consider joining the local FCA, a very active club with many activities, including many drives.
    http://www.nwrfca.org/

12. cat1pro

cat1pro Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2009
    Deerfield Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Alain
    good luck with the ppi and i hope everything works out awesome for you. The fact that they took it to the dealer and didn't just try and do a temporary fix should make you feel better. i love blue ferraris!!!!

13. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What a DEAL! I hope one of these days in the not to distant future I can add an F-car to the garage... First choice of those that I might actually be able to afford would be an F1 Spider and if that does not work out a 456...

Hope that PPI looks good and the sale closes and you have an enjoyable drive home!

Best,
    James

14. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Looking cool!.......Wish everything is going in the right way.

G/L

15. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master

I'm not aware of any lights that come on involving the top. Could be, but I've never heard of it. There are switches that can read errors....but generally the top just stops working properly and there's no lights involved (by my limited experience).

It sounds fishy, maybe they're playing another buyer at a higher price and you're their fall-back buyer (at the lower price?)....so they're stalling. It's been my experience that quite often problem cars and story cars are sold by 3rd parties because the owner doesn't want to lie or get mixed-up in the mess. I noticed in the description plenty of observation comments "car APPEARS to have been garaged" and "car's engine seems to have been well taken care of"...lots of innocent observations and implications of quality & care. Proceed with caution; buyer beware!

Beyond that, love the color-combo and it sure looks sharp! Good luck! :)

16. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    On a side note, the handbrake looks as though it needs adjusting. Many 360's I've seen have the handbrake at nearly 90 degrees to the floor when fully on :eek:. I had mine adjusted at it's last service and now it is fully on after 3 or 4 clicks. Apparently the "self adjust" mechanism rarely works properly :(.

17. Nicke

Nicke Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2005
    Hellsinki
    Full Name:
    Nicke Forsell
    Congrats, great color combo! And great price! Regarding the driving vs. shipping, think of that as an inspections run where any problems would occure. Kind of what Ferrari does to new cars.

18. ferrari88

ferrari88 Rookie

Jan 13, 2005
    Be VERY careful on the PPI. This car has been sitting with this dealer for a very long time and it was always priced to sell quickly but never did. Hope it all works out.

19. scifoso tifoso

scifoso tifoso Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    Full Name:
    John G
    ...you get what you pay for. there probably was very little money left in the deal for repairs and again car transport. be sure you have the discipline to walk away if the ppi is bad.

and i would get it in writing from the dealer that he understands this. otherwise you could lose your deposit.

20. Mark from Ork

Mark from Ork Formula Junior

May 29, 2007
    Miami Biatch
    Not to point out the obvious, but, why didn't you have Ferrari of Atlanta do the PPI for you while the car was over there???

21. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    Congratulations........... FOA (Mark) do a great job on service. I'll be there later this afternoon and have
    to check-her-out it she's still there.

On the PPI. I understand that FOA no longer does PPI's.

BobR

22. Fort Worth 360

Fort Worth 360 Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort worth Texas
    I agree something fishy there - price is very obvious as more than a good deal; more like too good of a deal. BTW just as a point - Remember a Vehicle History Report only will show incidents where a police report was filed or a salvage title was issued. Any road or track wrecks are not logged. I know this because I wrecked my 348 spider big time twice - yes twice and it has never shown up.

23. Matt Andrews

Matt Andrews Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    I am always skeptical of online cars and how they are represented, but do you guys really that that a 01 spider with a few clicks shy of 30k miles for $85k is such a good deal you should be suspicious?

24. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    #24 andrew911, Jan 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
    Worthy of suspicion? Yes.

Many things to check for- if it needs top work, headers, other work could quickly creep into a zone you could buy a lower mileage no stories car when factoring in purchase price + repair work (in this market anyway with prices being where they are).

I hope the car works out for you Dr C....By the way, if you get this car, take a hairdrier to heat up the surface and carefully get that hollywood sticker off the rear- I hate dealership badges and it stinks so many put them on cars....especially a ferrari!

25. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    Me too, that's the first thing I do when I buy a new car...... I hate the things!