Australian sub prime mortgage market. | Page 99 | FerrariChat

Australian sub prime mortgage market.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Arvin Grajau, Aug 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    It always is! Here its the Banks fault for NOT lending, total paralysis prevades, not healthy at all :(

2. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    It always is! Here its the Banks fault for NOT lending, total paralysis pervades, not healthy at all :(

3. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Seems to me we're back to the good old days when the banks would lend to anyone as long as they didn't really need to borrow.

4. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Thats probably as good a description as we'll ever have!

5. beama

beama F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve. G.
    Karen, I think that you are oversimplifying it. Whilst I have empathy for people needing to borrow in this economic climate, I also think that if I were a banker, I wouldn’t lend to someone who didn’t have suitable security or the obvious means of repaying the loan.

The solution ………… pump and save!

By the way, how’s the stash under the bed going? :)

6. GTRMagic

GTRMagic Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Hey Mr Dee Jay....
    More outages

This bloke spruiked Storm Financial on his daily radio show for months, if not years..... turns out he got ruined too...

7. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    rolled a bill last week at 4.75%, crazy cheap and more to come

*licking lips*

8. beama

beama F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve. G.
    My eldest 2 kids who are working have recently been offered a higher limit on their credit card.

9. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    i'm just glad i don't have the need for one.

10. beama

beama F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve. G.
    You must have a lot of pump and save coupons.:)

11. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Wasn't sure what you meant by 'pump and save' LOL! Don't worry, I'm keeping an eye under the valance for any creeping reds...
    With all the wailing about how things have seized up due to lack of credit, I think we've lost sight that too much credit is what caused this problem and the cold hard truth is that many who are now finding it hard to get money, in truth probably shouldn't be getting it. I haven't heard of a single instance where any real, viable business has been brought down by an inability to borrow. It's a bit like a few years back when farmers were complaining they were pushed to the wall by the banks - fact was, their farms weren't viable.

12. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

It's happening now.

13. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It sure is.

14. dirtdog

dirtdog Karting

Jul 31, 2005
    [ It's a bit like a few years back when farmers were complaining they were pushed to the wall by the banks - fact was, their farms weren't viable.[/QUOTE]

Not as simple as that....if you really want to know I can explain but only if you have an open mind, ie don't have some personal idealist issue to push.

15. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    we don't do that on F-Chat......

16. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Have to say I am amazed that anyone who is either in business or has a modicom of sense can truly believe that there isn't a BIG problem for businesses in borrowing funds. Mortgages are another matter, thats bad enough, but with the tightening criteria affecting 1000's of businesses, it can only lead to job cuts and bankruptcy for many; which is a crying shame because this whole mess is totally man made. The only way a country can get out of this is to produce and export.

17. j15

j15 F1 Rookie

Jan 5, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Jeh
    you mean start a war? :)

18. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I also get offers all the time to go from $5K to $10K. Not interested thankyou. :):)

My brother actually cut his back from $10K to $5K last week. Getting a little paranoid about job losses in the Mining biz I think. :eek::eek:

19. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    mmmmmm I think thats 'bin' tried hasn't it :)

20. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Not as simple as that....if you really want to know I can explain but only if you have an open mind, ie don't have some personal idealist issue to push.[/QUOTE]

No, you're right, nothing is ever as simple as one sentence - I should have said "some", and no doubt there were some that were badly treated.

21. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    #2471 kerrari, Jan 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
    OK, well maybe you guys can point me in the right direction. I can only go on the business people and bankers I know personally and while there are lots of problems with drop off in demand etc, I can't think of an example where a lack of further borrowing is the core problem.

And jeffQV you're quite right that the problem is based in our lack of real production end export (excluding what's dug up).

22. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark

I don't need more funds than I've got but my bank (NAB) tells me they are looking closely at all new deals and huge equity is required for any projects with any risk (and in this market that means ALL deals). Anyone who did a deal 6 months ago agreeing to buy something on the basis that they would worry about the funding later could be in trouble now. And that would be a significant number of businesses. Many a bank that says "no worries mate" when asked about funding really mean "no worries mate, unless your P&L or balance sheet stop looking good or something really drastic happens in the economy".

23. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    #2473 b27, Jan 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    i begged the NAB to take some funding away from westpac in 07, gave them all the info, but they wouldn't match the rate, i couldn't believe it.

25. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Priceless :)