Jalopnik.com Is Looking For Shanghai Ferrari Owners For Story | FerrariChat

Jalopnik.com Is Looking For Shanghai Ferrari Owners For Story

Discussion in 'Asia' started by korsdesign, Jan 31, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. korsdesign

korsdesign Rookie

Dec 2, 2008
    #1 korsdesign, Jan 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm a friend of DJ (who runs the site Team Speed) and will be traveling to Shanghai, specifically Pu Dong, at the end of March. I was told by some of the guys on that forum that there were a number of Shanghai Ferrari owners here on Ferrari Chat. I know that I am a total stranger as this is my first real post, but before you pass judgment, let me tell you a little about what I'm looking for and who I am.

I am currently an editor for Jalopnik (an online automotive news magazine) and post under The Auto Insider. I am looking to gather up some Shanghai-based Ferrari or other exotic/luxury car owners for a story that I would like to write about the rise of the wealthy in China. I will be flying out of Detroit, MI on March 29 and will being leaving Shanghai on April 12. I will be staying at the Fortune Garden Residence in Pu Dong off of PuMing Lu which is about 5 minutes from the Pearl Tower. I'm aware that there is a growing luxury/exotic car market in China evidenced by rapidly growing market share as well as some of your participation on this forum. When I was there last year, there was a new Ferrari F430 parked in the complex and I saw a Spyker C8 cruising past the entry way - maybe this was one of you?

If this is of interest to any members of Ferrari Chat or if you know someone who is not a member here, but would be interested in meeting me for an afternoon, please contact me at [email protected] or [email protected]. Please put in the subject line (in bold, so I can distinguish it from the hundreds of tips emails I receive) INTERESTED SHANGHAI OWNER WANTS TO MEET. I will have a phone number during my 2 week stay, but unfortunately I won't know it until I arrive.

I am hoping that those that want to meet can speak English because my Chinese is not very good, but I can provide a translator if necessary. If you are unsure or feel nervous about this, I can provide you with the contact information from my Editor-In-Chief, Ray Wert.

Thank you in advance and I hope to hear from some of you soon!

These are some pictures of the F430 outside of Fortune Garden that I took last year in January:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FatPenguin

FatPenguin Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2008
    Bedok, Singapore
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Jalopnik! Cool.

3. korsdesign

korsdesign Rookie

Dec 2, 2008
    Bringing this back up to the top.

I didn't mention this in the top post, but if you wish to remain anonymous that is possible. I don't want to scare anyone away from this. Thanks!

4. mahwon

mahwon Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2005
    NYC-Shanghai
    I doubt you gonna get a response.
    I started a similar thread more than a year ago, I still haven't had any response from local owners.
    I know there are TONS of Ferrari's in Shanghai now days, cuz I see them everyday when I am in town. I just don't think they are the type to get on internet car forum.

5. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    Shanghai/Melbourne
    95% of the locals with ferrari's do not speak or read english and have no idea about this site, I have tracked with them at the F1 circuit and only the Hong Kong Guys (and Girls) that were there spoke english.

My 308 was one of, if not the first Ferrari in Shanghia and used to cause a stir when driving but these days it is just another car in the lot. In my compound there are at least 12 Porshe, 2 Lambo's, 1 Aston Martin, Several Bently's, 1 Maybach, 2 Masserati's and a host of expensive tin everywhere. There's a Harley in the underground garage which has not moved for about 5 years, Oh and my 308 which also has not moved now for two and a half years. Alot of these guys do speak English though. As far as I am aware there are not other ferraries in my compound yet.

There is a guy in Xiamen who has a collection of cars including several Ferrari's a Lambo and some other lovely toys, a fantastic early Morgan plus 8 in fine condition. he drives them often and can be seen having coffee while his ride is washed around the corner near the Marco Polo Hotel.