LOOKING FOR A SPECIFIC PICTURE (wheels) | FerrariChat

LOOKING FOR A SPECIFIC PICTURE (wheels)

Discussion in '360/430' started by Exoticar Auto, Feb 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    #1 Exoticar Auto, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Fiorano1

Fiorano1 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2004
    Coral Springs, FL
    Full Name:
    Haywood Jabloemi
    #2 Fiorano1, Feb 6, 2009
  3. strad

strad Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    Kent
    Full Name:
    joe
    What about these

4. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    I understand it wasnt offered as a factory option but I know people have the wheels chromed.Any pics avail of them on a car?Thanks.

5. lrattner

lrattner Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2004
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Dr. Lonnie Rattner
    #5 lrattner, Feb 10, 2009
  6. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I don't understand why everyone is so dead set against chrome wheels.

I have a 1957 XK140 Jag with chrome wire wheels. Why? Because they look good. Auto enthusiasts have been putting chrome wheels on all kinds of cars for many many years long before the rap stars, gang bangers, ballers or what ever you guys want to call it ever did. If they looked good before, they look good now. I think that if the OP has a black 430 or 360 the chrome 430 wheels would look awesome.

What would all you guys do if the hip-hop crowd all started driving Ferrari's? I suppose then you would all have to sell. I just get tired of the purist attitude. If it looks better than factory, go for it.

7. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    I think it's just majority opinion, nothing to do with fashion or trends.

I, like many, think chrome wheels on any car look awful (I should know, my 360 came with them and I refused to drive it until they were changed).

Chrome wires on a classic look good IMHO.

8. 430sp

430sp Karting

Jan 23, 2008
    worldwide
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Polished look great.

On my spider 430

9. 430sp

430sp Karting

Jan 23, 2008
    worldwide
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #9 430sp, Feb 10, 2009
  10. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    High-end performance cars' looks are inspired greatly by the company's motorsport involvement. Here, it's the form-follows-function school of thought. Chrome wheels are of no value in racing. Chrome plating is heavy and offers no competitive edge. Race wheels are sometimes polished, but not plated (not that I know of, at least). The chrome plating on older cars was not only for looks, but it protected the metal from rust/corrosion and kept the parts looking good. Modern wheels don't need plating.

I rarely like an aftermarket wheel on a Ferrari.. a chrome wheel, hardly ever. In fact, I think my ball-polished challenge wheels are a bit too bright, and they're nowhere near as bright as chrome. Actually, I like Ruf's chrome-optic finish, which is more of a satin look. It's sharper looking than standard silver paint, but it's subtle and tasteful.

I hate to say it, but when I see a high-end sports car with chrome wheels, it usually gives me the impression that the owner is more of a player than an enthusiast. Though, I know that's not always the case.

IMO, a car should look nicely balanced. The eye shouldn't be drawn to the wheels first and the body second. If anything, it should be the other way around. I agree, however, that black cars can look sharp with certain chrome wheels, though it's still not my taste.

I don't have the requested photo, sorry OP.

11. justin993

justin993 Karting

Nov 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Justin993
    +1, could not have said it any better.

12. Brav

Brav Formula 3

Nov 20, 2005
    OC, Rome
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Chrome is kinda like a lack of vocabulary, and using swear words too much.