Scud or 599 | FerrariChat

Scud or 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by Joe Mac, Feb 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

I just posted the same message in the 430 section but here goes:

So, call it being bored during a long winter here in PA with little time behind the wheel of the Scud. But, the questions is if money is no issue, would you rather have an 08 Scud or and 08 599? I have owned every variety of 360 (Modena, CS and Spider) and I have owned a 430 Coupe and now the Scud. My initial thought is that the 599 is more elegant and beautiful; the Scud is more raw with griping power and agility. The question is whether going from a Scud to the 599 would leave me bored from a driving experience perspective. Again, looks for me is a clear winner in the 599, especially in the grigio silverstone with Cuoio or regular tan interior....

thoughts?

2. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    No Joe No! :)

When the winter thaws out and spring comes............I doubt the 599 will set your blood boiling like the Scuderia will. From both an esthetic and a performance point of view. Yes the 599 is elegant.......but from your previous Ferrari experience, it looks to me like you would probably bore soon(er) with the 599. IMO of course. Best of both worlds if you could have both.

3. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    They are entirely different cars, built for different purposes.
    If the Scud (or any of your Ferraris) is a weekend toy, stick with the Scud. If you want a real car that you can use in real life situations, where you need a trunk and comfort but want blistering performance as well, the 599 is unparalleled.
    The best combo for me is the 599 with a CS for weekend/track fun. My opinion is that relative to the CS the Scud is a little soft, especially on a track where the power advantage of the Scud is nullified for the most part.

4. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Kuzi, you are in serious need of a 12 cylinder Ferrari. The 599 will boil your blood as well as your nether regions, to an extent you won't believe until you drive it, especially in race mode with the CST turned off. The F40 will seem like a *****cat after that experience. :)

5. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Paul's comparison on the Scud vs 599.

6. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    I dont think Ive ever pushed the 599 quite that hard but going from one to the other, the 599 feels much more aloof and the steering will even feel darty in comparison. I did have the electronics bail me out once and I was glad they were there.

I think what everyone has said is right. If you want a Ferrari to be what many people expect a "Ferrari" to be then the ultimate version of that is the Scud- for now anyway. If you want a real car that you can drive on public roads, and still take to the track on occasion, the 599 does that better. If I had to choose just one it would be difficult. I think to myself it would be the Scud easy, but its a difficult choice because both cars are sublime. If depreciation is any part of this equation then thats advantage Scud. In the end I think you have to decide if you want more visceral sports car or GT. If I had to choose, Id pick the Scud by the slimmest of margins.

7. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    At this point with a CS for weekend track fun, I really can't see anyone paying double of the CS value to get marginally better performance, and at my skill level I really don't think I could find the "extra" in a Scud that I don't already get in a CS. The Scud I tried really felt softer than the CS, but that is obviously a very subjective assessment. So from that POV I think that a 599 for daily or even just GT road use and CS for the track, is the ideal combo. At current prices the Scud really doesn't make sense for me given that the CS is available out there at around half, or less what it will take to buy a Scud.
    Now if Scuds suddenly found their way to less than $200K I might be tempted, but to the point of the OP, I simply love the 599 too much to give it up for a non daily driver like the Scud.

8. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    Cant disagree with that at all, just saying in the choice between the Scud and 599 thats how it comes down for me. I really can't compare the Scud to the CS but is it not possible the softness is just increased suspension compliance?... Or maybe its just softer. :)

9. Jon@Tezta

Jon@Tezta Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Hong Kong / Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    I think anyone would be bored to death with a 599 after a scud, its just not something you can compare. The 599 is an amazing car, and it is something you can use every day as well.

10. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "I really can't see anyone paying double of the CS value to get marginally better performance"

Though I disagree with you about the degree of performance difference between the two cars - the 430 torque is an immense improvement IMO - I wouldn't be surprised were the CS to become the more desirable of the two. I've had both, and found the CS a less refined and because of that in some sense more "pure." I'm sorry I sold my CS.

11. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I understand the improved torque range of the Scud, but on a track where you can keep the engine in its optimum torque range, the CS does very well and broad torque range is really not an issue. The CS on the road in urban traffic however is quite unhappy. But that's where the 599 really shines. To those who commented that the 599 is boring, I can only say it is absolutely competent and predictable, and it can be hammered hard whenever a gap opens up in traffic or on a freeway on-ramp and then it is quite happy to go back to cruising at 75MPH with the flow of the traffic. And it will out accelerate the Scud from 0-200mph every time :)

12. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    Right. I think those who say the 599 is boring have a more limited view of what a Ferrari should be. To them its the wedge, mid engine cars that are "always on". I think this is the mistake many auto journalists have made with this car.

13. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
    Marty is dumping his CS for a 599 with no thought to a Scud.
    Scuds are for the first timers

14. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    joe did you end up buying the cs from ferrari of long island

15. Made of CF

Made of CF Rookie

Jan 30, 2009
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  16. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

No, I bought the CS from FoNE. Only had it for 6 weeks though!

17. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
    This must be the shortest time owned, but good decision

18. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Gee I wish I knew that before I bought mine. I am not qualified to have it...

19. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I had 2 599's and I think that the car is boring at normal road speeds. That is why I don't have a 599 now and have no plans to get another one. And I don't think that Ferraris should be wedge mid-engine cars that are always on

20. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    +1.
    Felt guilty for a moment (after reading that post)that I got a car "for first timers only".
    Driving it the following day I almost felt embarassed to be seen in it....

21. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    But its beautiful :))

22. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    What constitutes boring will probably vary from one person to another. I wouldn't debate you on that- you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Mine is that it is exactly what I want out of it- its a serious GT that can be sporting when desired or a little more comfy when that is desired. The depth is quite astounding and with a ride that is no harder than that offered in my (former) SL55. To me the 599 is kind of like a super M6. To keep it in BMW terms (which is how my brain works) that Scud is more like a modern M3 CSL. :)

23. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I just drove home from a round of golf. My club is around 20 miles away from home, and the desert roads early in the morning offer the opportunity to work the 599 up through the gearbox quite nicely. This car just keeps on getting better all the time. On the way home, through thicker midday traffic, the 599 behaves like any super coupe should. It handles the traffic flow without issues and has the instantaneous power to move into the smallest gaps, to get ahead of the Sunday Geritol crowd. I always park it with a huge smile on my face. It certainly is never boring for me.

24. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    SCUD!!!!!!!!!!

25. AML888

AML888 Rookie

Dec 4, 2006
    #25 AML888, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a Scud and a 599 next 2 each other. They look different, act different and feel different. I love the Scud for the raw power and I love the 599 for the comfort and refined power.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login