Enabling Nav on F430 Factory Becker Cascade | FerrariChat

Enabling Nav on F430 Factory Becker Cascade

Discussion in '360/430' started by geoffb, Nov 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. geoffb

geoffb Rookie

Oct 28, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    Folks, I received a new F430 and in the manual pouch was a Ferrari labeled Compact Flash card and also a CDROM for the Becker 7944 Cascade radio. The car was not ordered with NAV, just Bluetooth. Hmm ! Time to hack, me thinks.. Considering that the dealer wanted $2200 to "install" Nav.. My total cost was $19.

By the way, the delivery prep guy tried to say it was "his card", but luckily the svc manager saw me open the sealed Owners Manual package, the sealed CF card container from that package AND the sealed CDROM, so "good try, mate !" Why does every car dealer employ N > 1 jerks ?

Anyway, being an engineer and a curious sort, I tried selecting the Navi function on the radio, once the CF card was inserted. Bah ! No go -"See your Ferrari Dealer" was on the screen . Hmm... I love a S/W challenge, let's set to work enable it.

Investigation
    1. Inspection revealed no GPS antenna in the area under the dash to the L of the red alarm LED, behind the instrument cluster.
    2. Pulling the Becker revealed it's a 7944 Cascade, the GPS connector is NON-standard, made by Hirose just for Becker (why am I not suprised ?).
    3. The GPS receiver uses a SIRF chipset and is mounted on the bottom of the main PC Board, with double stick heat sink tape on it's various ASIC's and so forth to the chassis.

Enabling - HW
    1. I removed the CD drive, front panel and the main PCB ( I have experience doing prototypes, breadboards, SMD rework etc), actually very easy to do. Inspected the GPS connector.. forget about it ! (You can bypass Steps 2-5 by purchasing the Factory antenna at your local dealer, if you wish).
    2. I soldered an MMCX female pigtail using UG-213 coax cable to the coax shield and center conductor of the connector on the PCB. Pasternak Enterprises has these. Now I can use any common GPS antenna, hooray. No, the Becker connector is not a WICLICK, FAKRA, or other Euro connector of any known vintage. It's close to a TNC, but not quite.
    3. Made sure the signal ground of the GPS cable did not touch chassis ground, insulated it etc. (ask me why later).
    4. Bought a $19 GPS antenna, be sure it works from 2.5VDC to 13VDC, as the miserable Becker puts out 9VDC, which will toast the preamp on most Garmin external antennas, which are 3VDC powered.
    5. Installed the antenna with double stick tape in the slot above the air duct under the dash, next to the LED, right under the dash surface, this via access in the drivers foot well. This is MUCH easier with the radio out, as you can see what you are doing while seated in the pax seat. Installers take note, there plenty of room for a small Sirius antenna too, just take your time wiggling them through the triangular shaped slot. Since the dash area is plastic and foam, no real signal loss by having the antennas under the dash surface, it's where Ferrari puts them ! No worries, there is plenty of ground plane around this area, so don't fret sticking it to metal for better reception.
    6. Re-installed the radio in it's DIN slot, reinstalled cables for power, spkr etc.

Enabling - SW
    1. Install the Software CD in the CD drive
    2. Install the CF Card in the CF Slot
    3. Power up, enter radio code numbers.
    4. Now, the fun part:

Press "Information" (button 1) + "STATUS" (button 9) + "BACK (button 11) - you will be dropped in to the System Configuration menu.
    Scroll down to "NAVIGATION ACTIVE", press "OK" (button 10, the round one)
    Enter the radio code #
    Scroll up to the line which says "BLOCK EJECT", press "OK" (button 10)
    Enter the radio code #

Done ! You are now a Master of Becker Software Programming (Honoris Causa).

Power the radio off, cycle power. You should be cruising, er navigating. If you see "GPS Antenna Communication Failure" ignore it, it takes a few minutes to received the alamanac from the GPS constellation, during that time it complains. At ~110 bits/sec, the alamanac takes several min to download, from a cold start.

By the way,there are various other fun settings to play with, such as "Bose Mode". Since Bose is such a total piece of audio bunkum, it's hilarious they emulate it.

For those technically inclined, the CF Card is 4MB CF formatted as a FAT 16 File system (512B block size) with only two files - one is an ISO 9660 image of the nav database and the second a file named NMRINF.DAT, which specifies language defaults. If you expand the ISO image, it's a bit of fussy work but easy to add Points of Interest of your own. I do this for the Nav data in my BMW, example - all AAA locations, favorite Sushi restaurants in area etc. More when I get this hack done and stick it back on the CF card.

Later, enjoy this forum immensely. PLEASE do not ask me for the software, if you don't have it, I can't help you out. By the way, I enjoyed voiding the warranty, as the Becker has the worst UI of anything I have every used, so it's on its way to the junk heap. The Navi UI is surprisingly good though, must be 3rd party SW :)

g

PS - the other interesting key sequence, to see SW version numbers etc, is to press "NAME" (button 7), then press Information (button1) + "LH arrow" button 14 together. Scroll to Version Display.

brogenville and Sj_engr like this.
  2. Steve711

Steve711 Karting

Oct 9, 2007
    What if you have the cd-rom but not cf card?

3. geoffb

geoffb Rookie

Oct 28, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    I made an error, the connector on the Becker is a WICLICK after all, I got my micrometer out and measured it. Consequently one can relatively easily find 3rd party GPS antennas with such a connector. (T-Era makes one). Also, I mistyped the voltage output by the Becker for the preamp in the antenna, it is +5 Vdc. I also examined the Ferrari OEM GPS antenna, it's $123 at the parts counter of the friendly local dealer, no sign of who the OEM is.

4. AndrewCrane

AndrewCrane Karting

Sep 25, 2007
    Chobham, Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Crane
    Further to this, I installed a T-ERA antenna to my 430 today (cost £16 including postage to the UK). I thought I'd ordered nav, but hadn't. I've now ordered the CF card from Navteq and the T-ERA antenna, total cost £206 compared with Ferrari's £2000+ option.

The antenna works out of the box. Unscrewing the amp (I assume that's what it is) from under the middle of the dash gives just enough room for some small fingers to plug the antenna into the lower right hand side of the radio as viewed from the back. I used one of those flexible grabber tools which did the job in seconds.

With the curved face of the antenna pointing up, the unit finds the satellites in about 10 minutes the first time it is used. Pressing the information button gives the time and date when the unit has a fix, otherwise it shows no gps reception. After it has got its first fix, it establishes in seconds on subsequent engine starts.

Reaching the top of the dash is quite easy, so no further unscrewing is required to install the antenna -- just some strong double sided tape. (looks like Ferrari OEM solution uses a screw-in metal bracket which seems a bit over the top for such a light device). There's 2M of cable supplied (their site says 5M but is wrong). I couldn't be bothered to shorten it so I've loomed it with cable ties out of the way.

I'll email as soon as I have the CF-card to update on progress. It is possible that the reverse sense and speed sensors are not wired if you don't specify sat nav from Ferrari but I'll know in the next couple of days. These would be a trivial thing to add in any event and they are only used in cases where the satellites aren't visible to the antenna.

It does seem at the moment though that the nav option on the pricelist is a complete rip-off. It looks like it can be done at a tenth of the price doing it legally, and if you are morally comfortable downloading a bit torrent, 100th of the price.

The antenna is at http://www.t-era.co.uk/Pub/default.aspx?Page=ItemDetailEN&CatID=TE_5&ID=201461. They dispatched the same day which is more than I can say for Navteq.

Regards
    Andrew

5. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    There's ANY factory option on ANY car that isn't?

6. AndrewCrane

AndrewCrane Karting

Sep 25, 2007
    Chobham, Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Crane
    I guess so. I went to my local car radio shop today to try the Becker Cascade software in the Ferrari unit -- no go unfortunately. It might be possible to make a hybrid CD from the Becker CD and the Ferrari CD but I thought it wasn't worth the faffing around and bought a motorised aftermarket head unit instead. Still cheaper than the Ferrari upgrade and much more functionality.

Regards
    Andrew

7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    +1 Geoffry

Well done, very useful posts!

8. carzaddict

carzaddict Rookie

Apr 3, 2007
    can someone take pictures of the Nav set up, nav screens? I am quite confused as to how its displayed on that little radio screen. Or is it strictly audio directions?

9. chuck123

chuck123 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Wheaton, Il
    The instructions worked perfectly. My '07 f430 spider with bose is now navigation equipped. Thanks!

10. 430tdf

430tdf Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Has anybody found a source for the cf card other than Ferrari.

11. JRocks

JRocks Karting

Sep 17, 2003
    California
    Watch Ebay....they don't come up that often but they do come up. I bought one off Ebay. Followed the instructions and ended up with the complete NAV option for a fraction of the factory cost.

12. LiveFromNY

LiveFromNY Karting

Sep 13, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I ordered factory nav on my 430 so this thread is not help to me at all (other than to make me regret the $$ I spent). But it's an excellent example of what makes F-chat so useful. Wish I had something of equal value to contribute.

13. tiger 6

tiger 6 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    virginia
    Full Name:
    Stephen C Darrah
    Geoffb,
    Great post! Thanks. For those of us who are severely limited from a tecnical sense,ie, NFW could I do what Geoff described-how would you recommend someone would go about getting this done?

14. scuderiaf

scuderiaf Rookie

May 6, 2009
    Netherland
    Hi,
    I bought a Becker Cascade 6112 out of a Ferrari F430 to put it in my F355.
    Everything works fine but the nav doesn't work with the original Becker CF-Card 4.0.
    Becker told me that I have to use Ferrari Software.
    Does anybody has got an older version of the Ferrari labeled Compact Flash card for Europe and want to sell it?
    I think to buy this CF by Ferrari will be too expensive for me.
    Thanks

15. tabiggs

tabiggs Karting

Apr 28, 2008
    Houston Texas
    Question - Basic Becker units with blue tooth - No Nav

I believe all of the Becker units come with a CF slot - correct>?

1. Has anyone been able to transfer MP3 files on a CF card from another computer .
    2. Take CF card and put inside becker CF slot
    3. Enables CF slot through media source
    4. Played MP3 files on the Becker unit?

16. balenciaga

balenciaga Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2008
    NYC
    Full Name:
    derek
    i have it in my 360 and works great. dont even use the ipod anymore. works way better than the ipod

17. tabiggs

tabiggs Karting

Apr 28, 2008
    Houston Texas
    hmmm, I can not get mine to work properly - Do I need a special format or reformat on my card, does your unit read folders and give you the ability to drill and nav through folders ??

18. balenciaga

Jul 19, 2008
    NYC
    Full Name:
    derek
    are you using the navigation card ? or just another sd card ?you have to make sure they are in folders and that you make sure they are not protected mp3 file. if they are you need to change the format with mp3 converter

19. scuderiaf

scuderiaf Rookie

May 6, 2009
    Netherland
    Does anyone know where I can get an used CF-card for europe?

20. tabiggs

tabiggs Karting

Apr 28, 2008
    Houston Texas
    I am using just new CF card -10G I think - It sounds like I need an OEM Ferrari CF card, Is that what you are saying?

I am not using any NAV Software - I do not have NAV

21. balenciaga

Jul 19, 2008
    NYC
    Full Name:
    derek
    nope i dont have a ferrari CF card. I just think you need to make sure your files are coverted to mp3

22. drew138

drew138 Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    I prefer to just get lost and enjoy the driving experience. :)

23. scuderiaf

scuderiaf Rookie

May 6, 2009
    Netherland
  24. matt!

matt! Rookie

Sep 24, 2009
    UK
    #24 matt!, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
    I hope it's OK to revive this old thread?

Thanks for these instructions, how did you figure it out or where did you get this info?

Did you ever get any further with POI hacking?

I've got a Becker Traffic Pro 7949, which is the same as the Cascade but with a "shades of green" screen.

Also, I've figured out how to use a 4GB CF card so that I can have lots of mp3s on there as well as my map. Get in touch if you're interested.

Thanks,
    matt

25. jumtri

jumtri Rookie

Sep 12, 2008
    Paris
    Hi

I'm looking for a cf europe navigation card, to go in my cascade 6112..
    it cost around 450 euros in france so if anybody can sell me a copy of this cf, it would be nice

thanks