New iPhone coming out soon? | FerrariChat

New iPhone coming out soon?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by 8 SNAKE, Mar 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've read a few articles that talk about a new iPhone rolling through the pipeline, possibly being released in July. Anyone else hear much about it? Here are some of the rumored features:

- New iPhone announcement around mid-June
    - New iPhone will be faster and have a more seamless experience unmatched by any device
    - U-Verse iPhone application; will allow control of your home DVR (play, pause, rewind, etc.)
    - The annual iPhone launch is "becoming a tradition."
    - Nothing official is being confirmed, but they said that people should prep for an exciting time this summer.
    - AT&T is said to be working with Apple to create a unified product with an unparalleled experience across all their products and services.
    - Apple's 3.0 software should tell us where the iPhone platform is going.
    - They said customers shouldn’t need to choose from AT&T's high-end devices because of features, they should choose based on preferences. The gap in capability should be filled with the new iPhone.
    - Seems like the higher speed HSDPA (7.2Mbps) is being hinted at too which should confirm the earlier rumors of the new Infineon chipset.

2. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Until they get a screen that doesn't show fingerprints/ smudges, and an easily changeable battery or decent battery life.....

3. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    I'm still happy with everything about my first gen iPhone.

4. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR

Hit an Apple store and get some of the "anti-glair film set" static cling covers (Apple part#TS504LL/A). I've had just
    on on here since last November with zero damage. Finger prints/smudges are minimal at best.

5. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hey,

I just put it in my jeans pocket and it gets "polished" all by itself. Yep, along with keys, lighters and change - The back's getting a little scratched but the glass is perfectly clean and smudge free every time I want to use it...... The (innumerable) covers and cases just make the thing bigger IMHO.

Cheers,
    Ian

6. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So I take it no one has heard anything about the new iPhone...

7. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    Same here .

8. burnout04

burnout04 Karting

Sep 16, 2005
    Malibu/Dubai
    im very happy i made the switch to my 3g. Mainly there are less bugs and crashes, gps has become tremendously valuable for me, and I love the 3g when i need to download emails or send them when they contain large attachments, or when im on the road and desperately need to look something up quickly on the internet. I'm predicting the new iphone will take cues from the rest of the apple line and be milled out of a solid piece of aluminum, with the glass touch screen of course. I think an iphone with a solid brushed aluminum back would be awesome. I'm thinking it would have a feel kind of like the porsche design phone if anyone has felt that one before.

9. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Haven't heard much about the new one beyond the rumors you mentioned, but IMO until Apple opens up the device, it will pretty soon get left in the dust by better devices.

Three examples of what I mean:

1) Apple maintains strict control over applications

2) They refuse to let some applications use the 3G network... like VOIP.

3) The battery life is horrendous and it can't be changed

So it is impossible to use your iPhone as a VOIP client unless you are in a WiFi zone, and then you get maybe 40 minutes of standby time, if you are lucky.

E71, G1 and others don't have this problem, run open OS's like Symbian or Android and will only get better. I think the iPhone is going to fade into obscurity over the coming 2-3 years unless they address these issues, like, right now.

10. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Finally, someone actually posts something that has to do with the topic of the thread. Knew I could count on you, Mike. For a minute, I thought this was going to be another one of those crazy miter saw threads! :)

I'm torn about your post. On one hand, I agree that it would be fantastic for Apple let go of some control. We'd most likely get a better product as a result. However, if I'm sitting in Steve Job's shoes, I don't see any need to change a business model that has done phenomenally well. Apple controls everything, charges higher prices for products and enjoys healthy growth. Hard to argue against their results. I also can't see the iPhone fading into obscurity any time soon (say, the next 3-5 yrs). The iPhone is too popular and Apple is too good a company to allow that to happen.

11. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The iPhone is what has made apple what it is today, they are not likely to take a back seat to ANYONE on this front. I suspect they already have some REALLY good stuff in late stage development... I don't know anything specific just speculating that there will be some good things to come and probably sooner rather than later. I am looking forward to it as well! I have a 1st Gen iPhone and will get a 3rd Gen when they come out.

Oh, my battery seems to do pretty well. I don't spend a lot of time surfing the net with my phone though.

James

12. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    #12 richard_wallace, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
    I have only heard of the new update to the os - nothing on a new phone... Minus one rumor that is not mentioned. Apple is planning on releasing a lower cost version (smaller, less feature iphone). Since they are one of the highest entry phones on the market, they are looking to expand to down market more cost effective phones.

Also VOIP works fine on the 3G - (without Wifi). Of course I have "cracked mine" and the apps are in the Cydia Installer (along with many other free apps) :)

There are so many nice addons if you hack/crack it for things that apple does not want to have/support, and you can still download things from the app store.

Also the biggest advantage of hacking/cracking it - I get about 2 days of battery life use out of it (with several hours of talking and surfing). With hacking you can turn off say location services (GPS) if you don't need it, turn off 3g if not downloading data, etc.

The biggest drains from my analysis is Bluetooth is the biggest by far, Wireless is second, 3G is third and then Location services. But if you are only talking being able to turn off location and 3G can extend your battery by 2X. Before I cracked it (2 days after I got the new 3G) - I could go about 2/3 of a day at best and was down below 20% battery. Now same usage patterns, I can go almost 2 full days before I need to recharge.

13. Pranucci

Pranucci Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    Carpinteria, CA
    Heard the same rumors in the context of discussions about the Palm Pre and Apple's next iPhone. If you can wait you should, the Pre looks great (except it's Sprint only).
    I'm a longtime Palm user and like the iPhone, but don't like the lack of a real keyboard.

14. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I was wondering about the Palm Pre as well, it was supposed to be on the market back in March but most likely will not be released until May or June.

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    As this thread popped back to the top I figured it's a good time to mention that OS 3 is about to be released for the iPhone:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/preview-iphone-os/

The long awaited "cut/copy/paste" functions and a horizontal keyboard for all apps are in there. However, the new "software development kit" is probably the biggest boost (not to users, but for developers) - They are gradually opening it up.

I don't think there's going to be new hardware for a good while yet. Lots more, and richer, applications, but not H/W.

Cheers,
    Ian

16. Samimi

Samimi Formula 3

Oct 17, 2005
    North of the 49th
    Full Name:
    S.
    #16 Samimi, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
    I'm a recent iphone convert, I used to point out all the flaws, state how blackberry was better and make fun of those who had them. :eek:

Debating to get the 3g or 2g; are the phones different in anyway hardware wise? (faster, better specs etc.) Or is the only change the ability to have it on a 3g network...

Can I buy a first generation iphone (2g) and have that os with the functionality of cut/copy/paste?

17. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Wow! - An open minded Fchat user - Don't come across many of those :D

3G + built in GPS are the biggest differences - I don't you how you'd use it, but surfing the web on the old version was painfully s-l-o-w [Not an issue if you're "always" on a wi-fi network of course.] The GPS opens the usefulness of a bucketload of apps - Again, may or may not be relevant to you. The new version also has substantially better wi-fi range (Generally believed to be a result of the switch from a metal to plastic back - Yes, it now gets "scratched" a little but I compare it to patina on old cars.....

Yes. The only caveat I've seen is that you need the 3G for MMS messaging.

Cheers,
    Ian

18. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I converted from Blackberry to iPhone this year too. The Blackberry Messenger was useful when I was lots of instant messages to another country, but I am not doing that now and email is about as good.

The Blackberry is a phone trying to be a computer. The iPhone is a computer that makes phone calls, with superior functionality and user interface.

19. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Now I'm hearing rumors about Apple negotiating with Verizon to carry a version of the iPhone in the future. That would be great for me, because I wouldn't have to switch cell phone companies. However, nothing is expected until 2010 at the earliest and more likely 2011 when Verizon's 4g network is operational.

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The Iphone 3g is very good but not perfect. For email, it's pretty weak. It's difficult to type accurately and if you have a lot of email accounts, you have to go back and forth to manage all of them.

If you're in a moving vehicle, the touch screen causes all kinds of errors. Mine has a problem dialing sometimes... it just never connects but says it's trying.

The biggest problem is the battery life. This phone was designed to be an internet and entertainment device more than a phone. But, if you use it that way, the battery drains too rapidly. Honestly, I would have no problem making the phone thicker if the battery life could be doubled.

I don't like that you can't cut and paste in email or copy webpages into emails. If it's in Safari mode and you get an email, I don't like that you have to close one to get to the other.

The touch screen does not let you use a stylus. So, you're limited to the accuracy of your finger. In some cases, its just to clumsy.

I think a lot of apps are overblown too. I've tried many on trial and gotten rid of them. They should cull them to help get the best of the best and make it easier for people to find them.

As a game device, I would rate it as poor. If you're stuck in an airport, it's OK. But, for anything else, the touch screen and tilt sensor are too frustrating to use for action games accurately enough.

There are a lot of good features and I'm happy with it. It's just not perfect yet.

21. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    +1 - I want an iPhone, but I won't switch from Verizon.

22. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Just switched to ATT from Verizon, and hasn't been the best experience.

23. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    The new iPhone update will solve lots of issues WITHOUT having to buy a new phone.:)

http://www.apple.com/iphone/preview-iphone-os/

Advance preview of 100 new features.
    For iPhone owners, it just keeps getting better. When iPhone OS 3.0 arrives this summer, it will introduce over 100 new features, including the ability to:

Search your iPhone
    Cut, copy, and paste
    Send photos, contacts, audio files, and location via MMS*
    Read and compose email and text messages in landscape

24. Samimi

Samimi Formula 3

Oct 17, 2005
    North of the 49th
    Full Name:
    S.
    Well,

I've joined the brotherhood.

Picked up an iPhone 2 days ago, although I'm a little disappointed as I received a few emails today from people selling for $50 cheaper.

Haven't had time to add any apps, but really great phone so far miles ahead of my Nokia 6600 & 6030.

I've sent a few emails and played around on the storm, but the iphone is much easier to type and to navigate the cursor; and the UI is amazing. The storm's UI feels restricted.

Although my only complaint is that the iphone is a bit slow sometimes opening apps such as the calender or notes.

25. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I am expecting Apple to announce a new iPhone in June. I have been a Verizon customer for a long time but am planning on jumping ship. The iphone is too useful a device to go without any longer. I am sure I'll miss Verizon's network, but am hoping ATT isn't too far behind.