Steering column shroud | FerrariChat

Steering column shroud

Discussion in '348/355' started by Stentboy, Mar 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I'm replacing the plastic steering wheel shroud (sticky) on my 348 and need advice on removal of vin tag. I don't want to damage it - looks to be plastic.

2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #2 285ferrari, Mar 29, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
    You replacing the surround or having it refinished? If your replacing it, I'd be interested in purchasing the old sticky one. To remove the VIN plate, take a razor blade and insert it between the plate and coulumn. Gently pry upward and it will pop up. It is held in with a light glue or sometimes just double sided tape...

If that does not work, flip it over and drill a small hole where the plate is. Make sure you go just enough to touch the plate and not thru it. Then take a awl or nail and push it out....

3. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Get a reasonably flexible putty knife that is approximately the same width as the VIN tag. Use a heat gun (medium/low) or high watt blow dryer (high) to heat the VIN tag, but not too much. Gently slip the putty knife under the VIN tag and work side-to-side and forwards to gently break the adhesive bond. Go slowly and don't apply too much heat or pressure.

4. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Robbie, we posted at the same time. I defer to "The Master".

5. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I tried that before and there wasn't enough room between the plate and surround to get the putty knife...The plate fits real snug in there..

6. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I'm replacing. I've removed tag without paying attention to how it goes back in - yes I know stupid of me. Do you read from inside car or from outside looking in? I don't need the pieces. Thanks for your help.

7. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    If your sitting in the car you should be able to look down at it and read it. Should face you while sitting in car and read left to right... The Z starts to the left....

8. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Great, I got lucky - that's the way I put in, but my 17 year old said "daddy shouldn't you be able to read it from outside the car like your Mopars?" Let me know if you want my old pieces.