1971 512S Mystery Decals | FerrariChat

1971 512S Mystery Decals

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Scuderia Pinguino, Apr 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scuderia Pinguino

Mar 21, 2006
    I am helping with the restoration of a 512S. The car is almost finished but we are unable to identify 2 decals on the car.

I am attaching a pic of the car running at Daytona in 1971 and the decals we would like to know something about are:

1. The large letter 'B' with the 'orange area' at the bottom of the B (we at first thought this was a class designation but it doesn't appear on other cars in the race)

2. The 'Chequered Flag' withe white lettering on orange above. The wording may say 'electric fuel pumps' ( We at first thought this was a Carter pumps decal)

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Colin Pool

2. Scuderia Pinguino

Mar 21, 2006
    #2 Scuderia Pinguino, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Sounds like a great project, would it be possible to see any pictures of the restoration?

4. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    #4 andymont, Apr 7, 2009
  5. 328gtsfan

328gtsfan Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2004
    Aus
    Full Name:
    Greg
    The big B looks like a Baldwin Filters logo.

6. 328gtsfan

328gtsfan Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2004
    Aus
    Full Name:
    Greg
  7. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    I had made up a complete set of extra decals for this 512S for the 2 or 4th owner I sold it to. I do not believe either ended up having them put on the car. Send me a private message and I will see if the graphics CD is still available. The decals might still be around and could be used for making up new ones but are themselves likely far too dried out to be used again.

Cheers,

Bill Noon

8. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    Pretty sure the "B" is Baldwin Filters. Mr. Baldwin had Ferraris and made replacements for Fram 2804s and others, Chinetti used Baldwins marked "Ferrari" and Bob Cressman the FL Lauderdale Ferrari dealer used Baldwin exclusivly for many years

9. jhjvdm

jhjvdm Formula Junior

May 28, 2003
    #9 jhjvdm, Apr 7, 2009
  10. Scuderia Pinguino

Mar 21, 2006
    A huge thank you to all of you who have kindly responded to my question. I think we are getting there. Many thanks again

11. VRM

VRM Karting

Oct 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Steve D
    I have artwork created in Illustrator for at least the Baldwin Filters, and probably for Bendix as well. I use them for model cars, but they were created from originals in many cases. Feel free to get in touch with me if you are interested. I will be away until after the weekend, but I will be available after that.

Steve D

12. Philmodelcar

Philmodelcar Karting

May 19, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Philippe
    the big B stands for Borg & Beck sponsor, I'm pretty sure I have the same sticker at home. I need to search and scan it. I'll try over this week-end.
    Phil

13. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    #13 andymont, Apr 16, 2009
    Accordingly with BIGHORN and contrarily with Philmodelcar, the big B stands ( 100 % sure ) for Baldwin Filters.
    The post of BIGHORN is totally correct.
    All the Ferrari N.A.R.T. cars showed Baldwin stickers .
    The decal was made by Baldwin filters usual logo (picture 2) over a big "B" on a black field .
    These pictures can help .

Ciao
    Andrea

P.s. the correct Bendix pumps decal are on sale at : www.decalshoppe.com/_racing_decals_a_to_g ( 1.50 $)
    or www.racingdecals.com (1.00 $)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Philmodelcar

Philmodelcar Karting

May 19, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Philippe
    My mistake and apologize...I Confirm Andymont is right. I have the sticker here, unfortunately I cannot scan it but the big B stands for Baldin filters as the daytona picture is showing...