should have bought a Porsche | Page 2 | FerrariChat

should have bought a Porsche

Discussion in '348/355' started by joao, May 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    [Tell me what Porsche does this??

Very well put, and a lot of good points here in this thread. The main thing is, a Porsche is a Porsche, "it ain't a Ferrari".

No matter what kind of car you own, you will get burned by a mechanic or dealership, so pick your poisin - I prefer to die behind the wheel of a Ferrari.

cheers

2. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Once again,

The SoCal folks that are fortunate enough to have www.EugeniosFerrariService.com working on their Ferrari/Maserati, there are no worries. I would guess this is why the Eugenio's is still booked for months!
    I've seen the horror stories the original poster is mentioning, and it is sickening and sad. I am fortunate enough not to be one of the disappointed Ferrari owners :)
    And I am pretty positive all of Eugenios customers are in the same boat as I am :D :D

Happy motoring fellas :)

Have a great weekend! It's gonna be hot! Who's going to the VCR on Mother's Day??? :)

3. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Ferrari. I have owned Ferraris for the past 20 years now. My experience 20 years ago was that I drive the car for 3 years and then sell the car for the same price or for a little profit. Now a days I wouldn't dare buy a new Ferrari, the depreciation is the same or worse than average. On the other hand I own my 355 Spider for 9 years now (I bought it used); I probably have over $150,000 in it. This Ferrari is the most fun car I've ever owned; I can never get tired of the sound and the looks of this Ferrari. I take my Wife out on a date with it once a week keeping the car on a WM (Wife Mode) which means not exceeding 3000 RPM in all gears, and 2 - 3 times a year I take my car to the track keeping the car on TM (track mode,) which means driving the car over 5000 RPM at all times. Oh and my 4 kids ages 16 - 9 are having a blast every time I take them out to various places like birthday parties, sleepover, sports, etc. I think if anything I will keep my 355 and maybe add a 430 coupe and use the 430 for track only. I really believe that once the 355 becomes a 20 year old car it will appreciate in value and all those who are giving them away will be sorry later that they didn't keep them. I have a friend who owned a 1972 Dino, Red and Tan; he sold it for $27,000 with 25k miles 15 years ago. How much is that car worth today?

4. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    And can contribute to the "sticky bits" syndrome as well.

5. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Saint Bastage said it all.

Ferrari's a rip off in reality - no doubt. Service is a pain, and never cheap - but many things that you enjoy doing are. Bottom line is, if you buy a car because you want to cruise around in something impressive - that's fine, but it has to impress you the most.

6. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    We all have our preferences. No one can prove a Ferrari provides a better experience than a Porsche , Lambo, whatever...Just like women, its about a connection not about numbers on paper.

I enjoyed my Ferrari but it wasnt a special experience. Just another car to me. I think for many owning a Ferrari is achieving a goal so its more than a car to them. For others, like myself, it was never a goal. It was just a cool car and taken on its own my F355 wasnt any more fun to drive than my M Roadster or my Viper.

One day Ill try another Ferrari and see how I feel about it.

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

#32 ferraripete, May 8, 2009
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
    i am a long time, multiple ferrari owner and would not dream of being with out one. that said, i am a long time porsche turbo owner and could not imagine not owning one. the turbo is more part of me than any other car i have ever owned. they are bullet proof and have virtually zero rivals at the traffic light or back roads.

the 993 turbo is the last real porsche to many and w/ the normal mods...is a car that will leave you weak in the knees and white in the knuckles! they also have remarable re-sale strength.

old turbos never die...they just get faster!!!!

yes...a modified p-turbo does not have the soul that so many ferrari owners/lovers look for. a modified p-turbo is the devil!!!

pcb

8. kimoSabe

kimoSabe Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    No CA
    Full Name:
    Ray C.
  9. PKF355

PKF355 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    sOCal
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Sure. I'll take that 993. ;)

10. butch355

butch355 Karting

Jan 27, 2005
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Brent
    #35 butch355, May 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I agree the best of both worlds is to drive the porsche everyday for work and such, and have the 355 for REAL driving fun. Most of us cant drive a ferrari to work (I am in real estate) the clients would have a fit!

So, save about 10k-20k and get a nice 1984-1989 or 15k-25k for 89-94 964 and be happy. If you have a little more money get the last air cooled 993 (25k-35k)1995-1998 and solve your problems! P cars have about the same repair bills as the 355 from my experience when you start to upgrade them from stock.

So of us are REALLY lucky in Denver to have Dave Helms and Ferrari of Denver to solve the whole repair issues!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The 993 Turbos are pseudo-collectible. The Boxster, 996s, etc. are just depreciating new cars at this point.

What he said.

12. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    Not a 993 ;)

13. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    I think he meant the red 993 sitting in front of the 964/965.

14. Orthoferrari

Orthoferrari Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Clearwater, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sorry don't agree. I have owned many "performance cars". Corvettes, 2 vipers, M3 but there was NEVER anything like my Testarossa. Drove like a truck at low speeds, impossible to park but what a freaky ride. Nothing like blasting down the road with the Tubi squealing. The vipers are fast, and brutal. They drive you and beat your body. I could tolerate about 30 minutes before I was worn out. The Ferrari was a piece of artwork, felt like an extension of your body. Missed it the day after I got rid of it. And thats why I'm getting a 355 next week, just can't decide, spider or coupe hmmm. And many of the horror stories come from not keeping up with the service. After all $5,000 very 4-5 years for a major is more than the depreciation on most cars.

15. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer

If you were asking $60k for a 98 gts with low mileage and none of the "idiots" who looked at it were interested, maybe you should look for another explanation as to why rather than just assuming it was their mental deficiency that kept them from making the purchase. What is the service history like on your car? Perhaps those "idiots" may have been smarter than you give them credit for. Maybe you will get lucky and another one will come along. Good luck!

I came across some "idiots" while shopping for my 355. One guy had owned his car for several years and had never had any services done. But it had very low mileage so it really wasn't necessary, but if need be he could get the engine out service done for $3000. Another "idiot" felt his car was worth at least $15k more than the going market rate because it had been previously owned by a "celebrity"....

Still another claimed to be so wealthy that it didn't matter if he sold the car or not, but he still was asking a price that was much higher than the current market which he felt entitled to because if you called his friend at the ferrari dealership they would tell you that they know him.

I was lucky and found an honest guy selling his well maintained, reasonably priced 355 and scooped it right up. I couldn't be happier.

16. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #41 355, May 8, 2009
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
    Buy the coupe. 5gs every 5 years is peanuts man. ****, I spend more than that over 5 years keeping my wifes jetta tdi on the road. Now that is a piece of crap.

17. PKF355

PKF355 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    sOCal
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Yes. After owning a '95 Carrera coupe (Grand Prix white) and a pristine '97 Turbo (Glacier white) I think I would recognize a 993 when I saw one ;)

I really missing those two sometimes, especially that Turbo....

But my 355F1 more than makes it up to me every time when I pull on that up shift lever at 8500 rpm. :D :D :D

Good bye Porsche....Forever Ferrari !!!!

18. joao

joao Karting

Jan 18, 2007
    to Ed
    When I say idiots...it is for all the ones that try to beat you down over the phone without even making the effort to look at the car or to drive it...but over the phone they are able to tell you that the car is this or that and that the price should be this or that...at least come and look at the car and then say what you want or make an offer whatever it should be...I always respected anyone and their opinions when they came to look at any of my cars or bikes...and yes I believe that Ferrari is the only brand that gets away with the over priced maintenance...I owned 5 Ferraris up to date so I think I do have a little experience with F cars... Some of the cars I owned... 3 Porsches, 2 corvettes, 7 mercedes, 3 range rovers, 3 bmw's, 1 r5 turbo, plus some others, about 5 ducati's, 2 bimota's,1 mv agusta's... so I think that I owned, bought, maintained and sold enough cars or bikes to have a way to compare...the sticky parts, the dash that shrinks, the valves guides, the cats, ect...not all 355's have those problems, but if you try to sell one then those idiots over the phone think that the car is worth less because of all that...come and look at the car, pick it apart , drive it, get a PPI and then judge...until then they are idiots on my book. Anyway my wife is calling me...lol

19. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Without Eugenio I would have a Porsche....having a Ferrari Mechanic like him makes Ferrari ownership trouble free and enjoyable. Knowing I won't get ripped off when the car does need service is peace of mind!

20. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    A Testarossa at $5k every four to five years... I only wish it was so.

21. veloso45

veloso45 Rookie

Mar 6, 2009
    Portugal
    Hello, João.

You may have the money to get it....but you don´t have the love to HAVE it!!!!

Carefull, Womans are expensive too!!! Atention!

You maybe need car´s... just like you wrote on your list .....not Supercars!

22. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    OK.... let's pretend another idiot comes along interested in your car.

When was your car last serviced? (yes, I want you to answer that question here)

Can you provide him (or her...lol) with the detailed records of all the services and maintenances you have performed during your ownership? (you can also scan and post copies of this info here too)

If you can not satisfy a potential buyer with that information, than the discussions would go no further. Why would someone waste their time and money to fly to your location to look at potential dash shrinkage if you can't provide them proof that you've taken care of the important stuff? I'm really not trying to bust your chops , but if you look at your post history most of your posts have to do with you not being able to understand why you can't sell your car for the price you are asking. I'm trying to give you a buyer's perspective to help you understand why.

23. Orthoferrari

Orthoferrari Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Clearwater, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sorry, meant the major costs were less than the depreciation of corvettes, vipers, BMW's. And I must have been lucky, only spent 5,000 in 2 years for my testarossa(had major by independant) No other problems. Besides as everybody else says, if you want to play....you gotta pay. An once the warranties are off check the "viper tax" The boot around my shifter would have been around $300 for a little piece of rubber that had torn. Also wonder what is going to happen to all those viper owners now that Chrysler is going down... My first viper cost 16,000 for a rebuild (did have some major mods though)

24. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    We have world class techs that give their time freely to help owners on this site. We have a feedback loop in these forums that quickly identifies the best dealers, service departments and cars available on the market - as well as the ones to watch out for. We have a group of enthusiast owners who practically fall over each other to help other members solve their issues. We have the parts interchange thread and site sponsers that really are trying to get us the best deals possible on parts.

If you can't make Ferrari ownership work in this environment, it just wasn't meant to be.

25. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    #50 jetfixr, May 9, 2009
    Last edited: May 9, 2009
    I've read this whole thread and the solution that works for me is this...

Own a Porsche, Viper, or Vette if you wish to run the hell out of it everyday. Save your Ferrari for special days...That simple...

Kind of like wearing your Tag to work but your Omega to dinner;)

Now with that said I'm heading out to put the new dash in the Spider Daniel sent me...Damn it smells good!