Just got a 997 911 Carrera 4S | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Just got a 997 911 Carrera 4S

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Ferrarista3, Feb 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pnk574

pnk574 Rookie

Jan 14, 2006
    #26 pnk574, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I drive mine all year round - it's definitely a daily driver for me. In Western Canada we generally get a fair bit of snow which tends to pack quickly, especially with the way-below-zero temps we often endure. For winter use, I've added 18 inch wheels (narrower on the back), Michelin winter tires, and a hardtop. For the most part, I've had no trouble getting around in all conditions.

On the other hand, my son has an STi; we occasionally head out to a little snow-bound track we made for some snow-rally fun. Over the course of the roughly 1/2 mile curcuit, the STi can usually lap the 997 within four laps. Based on my experience in these relatively hard-driving scenerios, I'd say the greatest weakness is in the 911's all-wheel drive configuration: most of the power still goes to the rear. The Subaru offers a variable differential feature which allows the driver to push the split from roughly the same as the Porsche's locked-in ratio all the way to 50/50 power distribution. While I can keep the Subie in sight when his dif settings match mine, I get left behind in a cloud of snow-dust when the Subie moves to a full 4x4 configuration.

I understand the 09's have a new feature in terms of the differntial split or function which I'd love to try at our little track. Certainly, I need something to end the indignity of being left behind...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    #27 Ferrarista3, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
    Great stuff :)

I took the 911 for a long drive in the hills behind Monaco today. Great car.

I'll post the pics in a few minutes.

3. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    #29 Ferrarista3, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
    Just a little update...

Got a flat tire the other day. We replaced the Bridgestone runflats with Michelins.

Wow!!!!!

I can not believe how much quieter they are!!! There's a tenth of the tire noise now. The tire noise on the Bridgestones was just horrible!

Now it's the engine note that dominates in the cabin...and that's what I like to hear :) :)

4. 288575

288575 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    ohio
    Full Name:
    steve
    Carlo, what size were your runflats? According to the tire rack website runflats are not available for the standard size. I test drove a 2008 carrera 2s and it was great but the thought of having a flat tire concerns me. Thanks

5. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    #31 Ferrarista3, May 9, 2009
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
    If I recall correctly the rear wheels are 19" 30/305 and front wheels are 19" 35/235 . You think they weren't ranflats? We got a nail stuck in the left-rear-tire and managed to drive about 20km (12 miles) on a highway within 100khp (60mph) to the get tire replaced with no troubles (just some vibrations). The nail was stopping most of the the air from coming out. Perhaps they weren't runflats? I'm not sure to be honest :(

All I can say for certain is that they were *ridiculously* noisy and the new Michelins are so much better it's unbelievable. Now it's the music coming from the sport exhaust which fills the cabin :)