355 manifolds | FerrariChat

355 manifolds

Discussion in '348/355' started by Driftracer3, May 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Driftracer3

Driftracer3 Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    For the guys that have the Fabspeed manifolds, how has the heat shielding worked so far, and how many miles are on your car? Im working with a local exhaust builder to fabricate a couple sets of manifolds. The QV are nice Ive heard, but the main cause of stock manifold failure is the heat shields and I would like avoid it. Any thoughts or advice?

2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Fabspeed headers don't have shields on them..

3. Driftracer3

Jan 5, 2006
    I mean heat shielding for the alternator and stuff, I didnt mean actually on the manifolds.

4. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    I've had mine on for almost a year (10mo.) and have 6500+ miles since install. I have a alt. shield that's just a piece of 16ga. steel over the top of the alt. and I've had NO problems. I did have the headers coated inside and out, and don't have any other shields.

5. Mr Dobermann

Mr Dobermann Karting

Jul 31, 2005
    #5 Mr Dobermann, May 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If u are thinking of getting the Fabspeed headers or any other make, without heatshields over the primary pipes, i recommend you to wrap the piping with a good quality Heatwrap of some kind. I have wrapped my headers and the result is so good that you hardly cant belive it... When driving my car hard, i can after a few minutes only, put my fingers/hand on the headers without burning them... With the ordinary steel heatshields you can not touch the shields within a half hour or so without burning your fingertips... Something to think about.

It takes A LOT of time to wrap headers like this. I spent apx 6 hours on each side... And all together about 45 meters of Heatwrap...

Mine looked like this after wrapping them.

Kimmo.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. carlissimo

carlissimo Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    I've had my uncoated fabspeeds installed for a little over a year and 2000 miles. Several drives have been in 110+ degree weather. Have a heat shield on the alternator and some shielding on the corregated plastic brake line tubes. I have seen no heat related issues. I really don't think there will be any either.

7. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Where has it been determined that the primary source of OEM header failure is due to the header heatshielding?

If that is the case then post #5 should experience the same failure as his wrap is evidently doing a better job of keeping the heat in the headers.

My OPINION is it is a material/geometry issue rather than a shielding issue that causes the failures.

Either way going with wrapped/coated or QV rebuilds (I did the QV) is better than the stock. The Tubi headers are nice but expensive (they use shielding similar to OEM.

8. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.

I agree. Whait till you guys see what Competizione has built me! :D:D

9. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    Mr. Dobermann.....your engine looks very very clean! fantastic

10. hacker-pschorr

hacker-pschorr Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Land of Lambeau
    The OEM shileding is far from uniform causing hot spots between the pipes. I am not a big fan of wrapping headers, but it's far superior to the OEM heat shields.
    I recently cut apart some factory headers with less than 10,000 miles on them. The material inside was already breaking down, exposing pipes to each other that were originally kept apart from by the wrapping material.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138620384&postcount=2

11. Driftracer3

Jan 5, 2006
    Thanks for all the input guys. I know the heat insulation(rather than shielding) is the primary cause for failure, I have quite a bit of experience with high performance exhausts. Mild steel doesnt do so great with extreme heat, and stainless expands, which is the reason stainless manifolds crack.

Kimmo, thats a lot of wrapping! You did a nice job though. Is your car running yet?

Hacker, I saw your thread awhile back, it was helpful with all the pictures.

Well, it sounds like everyone is having good luck with the Fabspeeds, but Im having these built to be priced a little better than the Fabspeeds. I will get some pictures posted when theyre closer to being finished.

12. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan

OK, spill it!!! custom headers?!

13. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Great wrap job! Are these OEM tubes or QV upgraded?

My new exhaust system taken my 355 to the next level ........... the car is just phenomenal now ............ overall running heat has been reduced by 10 degrees on average, under similar driving conditions ................... :cool: ............. my new 'intake heat shield' came out of the mold last night ........... so intake temps should be reduced by at least a similar number ............ the new setup along with new hi-flow intake tops will be making their debut this weekend ....... :D

14. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    You can't be doing that Luke....spill the beans.

15. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    :)

OK, Competizone custom long tube headers, Kressig Y Pipe, HyperFlow straight pipes -- All done with a swain tech coating. (in white of course... :D)

They are also taking care of a few other maintenance issues while it is there... Engine mounts, CV boots, shift seal, etc...

16. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    WOW! Sounds very cool. I can't wait to see (and hear) them in person. Perhaps it's time for another "Sound Off" between you Nate, Robbie and you.

17. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    SHAWEEET!

18. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I'm anxiously awaiting long-term results. Header wrap, while very effective at keeping heat where it belongs, can be a destructive influence on the headers.

19. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #19 355, May 24, 2009
    Last edited: May 24, 2009
    Its only destructive because the OEM tubes were cheap stainless and very thin. The heat is ment to be kept in the pipes. I believe that running long term open pipes with or without coatings will do harm to the engine parts. I will be replacing mine with Tubi soon. They have much thicker 304 stainless tubes and are insulated and best of all the have a lifetime warranty.

Here is what Tubi wrote me:
    Replacing the 355s stock manifolds with the Tubi manifolds is a job that we are doing with ever increasing frequency for various 355 owners. The problem lies primarily with the quality of the original Ferrari supplied manifold. Put simply, they are made with very thin, and low quailty stainless steel unable to withstand the temperatures within the F355's engine bay. The heat generated by the cars running causes the manifold's mild steel to expand... when the car cools (when not running) the steel contracts . This continuous cycling of expansion and contraction results in minute cracks which eventually widen into full blown exhaust manifold failure and an exhaust leak which causes more engine bay damage, power loss, and a sound like a tractor!

The Tubi Style manifolds are actually not replicas of the original Ferrari part. They are actually sport manifolds - i.e beautiful headers optimised to reduce exhaust backpressure from colliding exhaust flow pulses from the seperate exhaust ports on the engine. They are made of thicker AND of much higher quality grade 304 stainless steel. Furthermore they are then given a very expensive thermal insulation coating to prevent them getting as hot as the original equipment.
    There's three reasons why we are selling so many of them:
    1. They will genuinely give your 355 a very definite increase in BHP (and also give a fuller, deeper sound).
    They have been backpressure optimised - i.e exhaust pulses from the individual exhaust ports in the engine do NOT collide with each other because of the length and shape of the manifold tubing - as a result the engine breathes MUCH more freely as the revs climb and particularly with a Tubi exhaust, it pulls like a freight train to the red line. We've seen some 41bhp on a Ferrari 360 with these headers and we would expect some 30bhp on 355 in good shape with a tubi exhaust on as well...
    2. They make the engine bay run cooler.
    3. They'll never need to be replaced again (they are under warranty).
    3. Furthermore they are cheaper than the pathetic quality original Ferrari manifolds which Ferrari price at £1800 + VAT per side!
    The Ferrari manifolds whether new or used are prone to failure and there is no reason to suggest that you could be replacing a new set of Ferrari parts within a year of putting them on! (this is the typical scenario a Tubi manifold buyer comes to us with - exasperation).
    The Tubi manifolds really are a jewel-like quality item and they are designed for the 355 Challenge car - designed to last a full 2 seasons of racing... anything you do on the road cannot hurt them EVER or they are replaced for free. The fact that they give so much over and above the stock manifolds (actually being an equal length header) AND they're cheaper make them a great buy. Installation with the Tubi manifolds is as straighforward, non-invasive job as replacing with normal manifolds

Further to this we would absolutely recommend the Tubi Evo exhaust for the car as well...... The combined package of tubi manifolds and Evo exhaust is fabulous - The power increase and sound. We have many customers that have been in the same position as you and fitted the whole lot as a long term investment into their 355s in getting the ultimate exhaust and never spending money on those parts again.. all have been rendered speechless the first time they drove the car and were totally thrilled by the result.