New iPhone coming out soon? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

New iPhone coming out soon?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by 8 SNAKE, Mar 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Well tomorrow is the day, for anyone interested Engadget.com has a live blog of the keynote starting at 1 PM est, they update about every 30 seconds.

2. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I really don't understand this, with this thinking Macs are 90% gimmick, I guarantee you that you can do at least 90% of what you do on your mac on a PC, the difference is the ease of use and it being a genuinely better platform, its the same as using an iPhone to a BB, after using an iPhone for 2 years I cringe when I use a friends BB.

3. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I think what you meant was "you can do at least 90% of what you do on your PC, on a Mac", and I disagree.

Mastercam doesn't run on Mac.

Solidworks doesn't run on Mac.

Allibre doesn't run on Mac.

AVR Studio doesn't run on Mac.

PSoC Designer doesn't run on Mac.

Eagle doesn't run on Mac.

ProEngineer doesn't run on Mac.

That is 99% of what I do, so Mac's certainly aren't useful for everyone. I think I can say, without having a fanboi bias, that for the average person who just surfs the web, checks email, and composes documents and makes spreadsheets, the Mac is fine. For "serious" design or engineering, Mac's just aren't up to the task. If you look at any department of any company that "makes stuff" (other than graphics/video), they aren't using Macs.

Nothing against the Mac, just my experience.

4. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Well he said he has had Macs for over 8 years so my argument was why have Macs because they have just as many gimmicks as the iPhone. I completely agree with you, Macs aren't for everyone and I may be hypocritical but I don't think many of the people who have Macs have any reason to have them beside the "coolness" factor, I have had them since I was 6 in the mid-90s so I should be grandfathered in. :) This was when you would never admit to owning a Mac. Mike the beauty of the new Intel Macs is that you can run Windows and Linux right there with OSX, but the great thing about Macs isn't usually the hardware.

But I digress, still looking forward to the new iPhone.

5. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Macs are a joke. The only Apple product I own is an iPhone, which beats any Blackberry any day (sorry guys).

6. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    As endlessly predicted, Apple's unveiled a new iPhone today at WWDC, the iPhone 3GS -- the "s" stands for speed. Although it looks almost exactly like the 3G, it's much, much faster -- some tasks are almost four times faster. Data speeds are upped to 7.2Mbps HSDPA, and the camera is now a 3 megapixel unit with tap-to-autofocus and auto white balance -- and just as expected, it now supports 30fps VGA video recording with editing features. You're also getting a built-in compass, Nike+ support, and a new battery that offers 5 hours of 3G talk time and 9 hours of WiFi internet use. There are some surprises, too -- holding down the home button now enables a new voice control interface that lets you do everything from make calls to control iTunes. Pricing is set at $199 for 16GB and $299 for 32GB -- and the current 3G will remain on sale for $99.

Seeing as the new iPhone OS 3.0 is set to arrive on June 17th, we're guessing that's when this model will ship as well, but Apple hasn't confirmed anything yet -- stay tuned.

From engadget.com

7. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #82 laudaman, Jun 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
    I purchased a white 16GB iPhone 3G back in July of last year. Does anyone know if they will allow existing iPhone 3G users to upgrade to the "3GS"? If so, what will I pay or what will be the consequences? Also, does anybody know what color the new iPhone will be available in? I really love my 3G in white. Would hate to go to a black one..

Thanks!
    Chris

8. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    You can buy the phone w/out a contract... since you are in contract. You can then sell your iphone 3g to make up the difference. There may be an incentive to extend your contract, but I really don't know. Your phone will receive the update, so TBH, based on all the info out right now, its not worth upgrading to the S model.

9. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    They say you can upgrade mid-contract for $200 more, so $399 for the 16GB and $499 for the 32GB. I am trying to pre-order one right now but its not letting log in.

10. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Excellent, looks like I'll be switching over to AT&T for the new iphone 3Gs.

11. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the info. Any word on the colors?

12. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    3GS available in black or white. Info on www.apple.com You can order it NOW.....IF you can get through... :( Been trying for a bit now and site keeps crashing. :(

13. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Damn. Thanks for the info Tyler. I am really undecided at what I should do. I would love to upgrade my white 3G to a white 3GS, but cant see paying 400$ to upgrade. Any suggestions?

Chris

14. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

You'll recoup some of that cost if you resell your old 3G on eBay. Can't tell you what to do man, only you know your situation.

15. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I am sitting here drooling over the 3GS video on Apple.com. I love the video, 3MP camera, copy&paste, and MMS features. I think I will pull the plug. How long will it be before Apple recieves them in stores? I dont want to do internet buying. For my current 3G, it was a pretty painless in-store process. They notified me when it was ready, and I went and picked it up. How long will it take for these to filter into stores? Or I suppose they are doing the pre-order? Btw, is there any external differences on the 3GS? I heard rumors the Apple on the back will light up? This damn chrome one on the 3G scratches so easily..

Chris

16. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    They're going to sell out fast....but I wouldn't sweat it. They're limited edition you know....limited to the number of people who want to buy them. ;)

Dunno about the scratches, I have an EnCase on mine to keep it from getting beat up in my pocket.

17. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I hear you. And me too. I have a ZAGG shield covering mine. I am extremely pissed off with it though. I have had it on for 3 or 4 months and its completely falling apart. The end pieces pick up every piece of lint and dirt and turn brown, resulting in them losing their "stick." I had to cut off all 4 corners, which are the most prone part to scratches. The whole thing has also taken on an orange hue. The phone is bright white, and the case makes it look light orange or even brown. Whatever. Any word on external differences between the 3G and 3GS?

Thanks again,
    Chris

18. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Exterior appears to be unchanged.

Apple website clearing up a bit now....you can get through now.

19. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm only bummed about the lack of voice control and video for the 3G.
    I really wish you didn't have to have a mobileme account to use find my iphone, I may look into getting an account now.

20. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    For those with 3G iPhones the jump isn't quite as big as those of us with the original. The only feature the 3G won't have after the 3.0 software update will be video and the speed increase. That update will be out the 17th and is free. I still can't get through the order and might run up to my local store tonight. The press release says that the stores will open early at 7am for those who pre-ordered. I just looked at the speed and the new 3GS is actually faster than my DSL, very scary fact.

21. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    aaaaaand.... we're off!

I'm donning my latex outfit for when the poop starts flying :D

22. martyb

martyb Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    South County
    Full Name:
    marty b
    Too bad ATT is not offering tethering........ That would be a great feature to have....

23. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Who is "they"? Unsure of this claim. I've only had mine for a year and a half and it seems there's no 200 more penalty of any kind when I try to order up a phone. Does it come when you get the AT&T surprise-charge-o-rama bill?

24. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think what they are doing now is the early end of contract price is based on how long you have been under contract for, the more time the less the cost. I got those figures from engadget.com.

25. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Ahh I see it.
    $199 16GB, $299 32GB ($399 and $499 for ineligible upgraders)