Fox F1 Sucks- Coverage a Real Turkey | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fox F1 Sucks- Coverage a Real Turkey

Discussion in 'F1' started by PhilNotHill, Jun 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Varsha has said many times on the air that they are in Charlotte. The only time I've seen Hobbs and Varsha at an event has been at the Le Mans 24h in the paddock on Friday and at one of the restuarants by the Gare in LeMans after the race!

Carol

2. Forexpreneur

Forexpreneur Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alexander Everhart
    Speeds coverage is far superior. I hate Fox sports anyway so I am biased.

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

They did present from Indy live. They only race they did. If the US needs better coverage then money needs to be collected to send these folks on the road more often. They do a good job when I have seen it but I can only imagine the insights they could bring if they could get to more races in person.
    Seems someone could get into an agreement with the BBC to carry their coverage in the US market. Beyond that the internet is a great substitute with live feeds now.

4. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    The coverage stunk. Too much F1 101 babble. If the objective is to get new viewers, why don't they show the race live on speed, then on delay on Fox? They do a replay on Speed for the early morning races.

5. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I wish BBC would do an Sports package like NFL Ticket, where you pay $100 for all of the races. I'd pay it, hell I'd pay 200 for zero commercials with BBC's HD coverage. :D What about you guys?

By the way I didn't think the fox coverage was so bad. You have to expect the F1 101 when they broadcast on a national network.

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I'd pay.
    BTW The problem with the Fox coverage wasn't the F1 aspect as much as the disjointed editing. Speed does a better job with a live feed than Fox did with tape. If they don't care enough to put the effort in why bother at all?

7. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    So, you'd rather have your house swept up by a tornado, as long as you get every detail of the race?

It wasn't Fox's fault that you had severe enough weather where they had to broadcast warnings.

8. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    +1, I cannot stand the Fox coverage and you can't tell me they're pulling down great ratings on it, just put it back to Speed where they can have their normal coverage. I do have to disagree with the op however, storms happen and I'd much rather know what is going with that, no matter how annoying, than watch F1 while a tornado bears down on me.

9. TCT

TCT Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2004
    USA
    Horrible, just horrible coverage for a less than exciting race.

1. HD broadcast? It was poor quality here in Cincinnati.
    2. Was there a race or a series of endless commercials with a few race clips?
    3. Race coverage was horrid with way too much editing...especially at the end of the race.
    4. The sound was poor but when the commercials came on I was blasted out of my seat.

10. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    It could be said that if the big tornado was coming, it is still coming whether or not they push these warnings onto the broadcast TV channels.

They cannot give a specifically useful "here is the tornado at XY street down to YY street" anyway when broadcasting it all over half of the state.

I grew up in Oklahoma City, (yes, we had a storm cellar and once had our garage whisked away) - which had the first doppler radar and maximum TV coverage years ago. It developed into (I hate to say it) - an ego trip first class for certain TV weathermen. There were eventually so many false alarms (mysteriously they always seemed to come at a key programming point) that most of the old-timers just quit paying attention and started looking out for themselves like we used to in the 1950s. Either that, or if really serious, get one of those National Weather Service radios that alert on their own and keep quiet the rest of the time.

This warning system does serve a useful service (like the Amber Alert), but it should not be over-used or take itself too seriously for obvious program ego reasons.

No, you can't blame Fox, but I have long found fault for self-serving local fetish coverage of the slightest thunderstorm.

Now you are being returned to your normally scheduled programming.

Thanks you.

11. Scuderia P1

Scuderia P1 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 18, 2008
    Monarch Bay, Calif
    Full Name:
    Chris Conti
    Wow, would you all like a little cheese to go with you're whine ? If that race was live, I don't think there would be enough coffee on the planet to keep me awake, boring !

Watching my favorite sport deteriorate year after year is more of a problem ! Just when it looks like we're going to see Vettel dog Button the team changes pit strategy ! What a joke of a sport.

12. barndoor

barndoor Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    oregon
    Full Name:
    mr smith
    Fox sucks,on all angles.

It is impossible to watch an F-1 race with that many commercials.When will us American F-1 Fans get a break ? !

13. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    I missed the race on Fox but watched the BBC broadcast later from another source. In my experience with Fox's coverage, it's obvious they over-explain everything, but the already acknowledged that in the commentary in the previous race. I always wait for Varsha to say something like, "Now what will happen next is the car will turn RIGHT. That may be new to some of you." ;) I really don't mind the coverage since it will hopefully get some more attention and fans.

14. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Which coverage were you watching? The race I watched had Vettel playing a distant second to Button. The strategy was a blunder for sure but Vettel didn't have a shot anyway.

Fox's picture quality was not as good as Speed HD's Friday Practice, or Saturday Qualifying broadcasts here in NY (Cablevision).

Yes we had to listen to F1 101 - like the amateur-quality explanation by McLaren of KERS - complete with glowing props just in case you couldn't follow the explanation as the Engineer was summarizing. This is what Fox believes their audience wants/needs.

I really dislike Fox's penchant for blasting rock music intros and the fuzzy graphical images they use. Sam Posey and the Speed broadcasts are a welcome sight. Having said that, I rewatched the first 30 mins of the Indy race and their pit coverage is miserable. When the hell is Jack Arute going to hang up his tan and ride off into the sunset? He is so irrelevant as a broadcaster - and who likes having someone yell in your ear...

BTW, did anyone think the camera crew/director in Turkey showed enough artistic flair with their out of focus - then barely in focus telephoto shots?

15. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not only was the Fox version of the commentaries dumbed down to the lowest possible common denominator (that of house fly), but they also skipped over Webber's interview entirely.

If Fox were broadcasting in Australia, those guys would have put the TV station on fire.

16. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Just the kind of story our Fox outlet loves to cover:)

17. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert

Yes, I receive SPEED in HD and its pretty good signal.

18. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I slept through the race and downloaded it early and got the BBC broadcast, no problems whatsoever :). The Fox broadcast is usually a dumb-downed version intended for a NASCAR follower too drunk to see that the cars aren't boxes and that each driver isn't named Tony, Bobby, or Jimmie.

19. a8guy

a8guy Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    the races on FoxHD and SpeedHD are ED broadcasts not HD
    They have bowling in HD, midget car racing in HD, NASCAR has been HD for the last 5 yrs or so
    Not F1 though- I just don't get it.
    Doesn't each locality provide the broadcast infrastructure and speed, bbc etc, just work with that countries feed?
    That being said not one country is using HD cameras? or does F1 provide all the camera equipment and camera guys?

I have heard that Europe is very slow in adopting HD so the US market, which is obviously not on Bernies priority list, would be the only country to benefit from an HD broadcast.

20. f1_nix

f1_nix Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    My main gripe is that Fox (and other major networks) devotes hours to pregame/prerace trivia for other races/games then for F1 the entire prerace show is 37 seconds and the post race stuff is also heavily curtailed. I would have like fewer commercials also.

Most of the F1 101 stuff could have been addressed in a better prerace show then left out of the race commentary.

21. Roots Mon

Roots Mon Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2008
    U.S. - Europe
    Full Name:
    Roots Mon
    The thing is that the tape-delayed FOX version of the GP of Turkey ran directly against the
    live NASCAR broadcast from Pocono.

The question must be just how many NASCAR to F-1 crossover fans does FOX think it's
    getting with this strategy?

RM

22. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy

Yeah really; NASCAR to F-1 crossover fans...highly likely :p Every time I talk to a NASCAR fan about F1, they can't get by the fact that there isn't some yahoo on each team who jumps off the car, scales the fence, belches like a frog or swigs budweiser. They can't relate to a team sport as much as they love their billy-bob what'shisname.

23. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I was going to take an extra hour for lunch today, go home, and watch the Speed replay.

However, I suddenly realized that even if I did NOT know who had won, I would still be just so bored with it all...

Thanks, Bernie.

Thanks, Max.

24. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Why waste your time off. I doubt Speed's broadcast will be anything more than a better prerace show and comprehensive interviews; Its unlikely Varsha et al will re-do their calling of the race.

25. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    watched it on bbc this time. much better show. doing interviews inside the top garages, talking to the first two rows on the grid. beats peter running around at the back of the grid interviewing sutil's #3 mechanic. BBC looked like they owned the place compared to speed's coverage.