308/328/Mondial aftermarket wheel pics | Page 9 | FerrariChat

308/328/Mondial aftermarket wheel pics

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by DonJuan348, Sep 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stan122

stan122 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
  2. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    No, it isn't just you...:p

3. myfazzman1

myfazzman1 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 25, 2009
    down under,australia
    Full Name:
    peter
    #203 myfazzman1, Oct 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I'm normally not a big fan of aftermarket wheels, but those seem to compliment the car really well. They look great without taking over, like they were meant to be there all along. Good work!

5. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    i like the wheels but what is the size and make?

6. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I absolutely love the color of your 308! The wheels look good.

7. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Very very nice Peter.

Are you going to lower her at all?

Cheers,

Roo the Pizzaman

Go Magpies!

8. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Nice look!!

9. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #209 st@ven, Oct 22, 2009
    not in great shape(yet) and i was told that these were a factory option in those days. So really not aftermarket maybe. They are 16" however and came on my gtb i purchased recently
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. myfazzman1

myfazzman1 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 25, 2009
    down under,australia
    Full Name:
    peter
    Hi Steve

These wheels were never a factory option,rather fitted by dealers or first owners!

What are the wheels,they are either BBS or Compomotive I think?

I would suggest getting the centres repainted black to match the car but you may prefer leaving them gold!

Either way they are period correct for the time and suit the car!

Cheers,

Pete

11. Dinodog

Dinodog Karting

Sep 2, 2009
    Birmingham,Alabama
    Full Name:
    Dean Matthews
    Birdman...Quit looking at wheels and build my fuse blocks!! I don't want to look.... I want to drive my car!...Just kidding, as I am sure they are probably on the way!

12. RossoGTS

RossoGTS Karting

Oct 21, 2007
    Berks UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #212 RossoGTS, Oct 23, 2009
  13. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    oke thanx for the info Pete
    the are indeed BBS E50 type wheels. I Do not know if i'm gonna use them or not but in the meantime i will have them restored. I in fact do like the gold centre, also for period correctness..

14. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    #214 rolindsay, Oct 23, 2009
  15. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    That looks so sweet - GTO type wheels just look awesome on the 3x8s. Anybody know where I can still get them?

16. hmaguire

hmaguire Rookie

Jul 3, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Hugh Maguire
    #216 hmaguire, Oct 23, 2009
  17. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    #217 effer, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
    ''and now for something completely different ''

Yes indeed!

At first glance I tought your car was a transformer! :)

Nice Black 3,2! Do you have close up pictures of your painted caliper?

18. Mondialross 82

Mondialross 82 Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Los Angeles,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Ross G.
    I think on your silver beauty that the wheels compliment the body perfectly, overall look is very elegant and smooth.
    The Compomotive splits wouldn't look bad with their slightly more aggressive look but I think you nailed it. I wish larger stock looking wheels were available.
    R

19. Mondialross 82

Mondialross 82 Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Los Angeles,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Ross G.
    I like them. They look great on your car. The more aggressive look of the Compomotive is supported by the aggressive red of your car,whereas on the silver car of rolindsay that choice is perfect.
    R

20. Mondialross 82

Mondialross 82 Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Los Angeles,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Ross G.
    I too always expected to paint my calipers yellow against my black and yours guarantees it! I also like the chrome wheels against the black car although the design is a little too radical for me,can I say Transformer. I wonder what they look like at slow speeds? Over time, they will date themselves, however you're right on target with the chrome I've always felt that Black and White cars are so saturated in value of their color that aluminum polished (usually gets dull) or not does not have enough strength to hold up against the car color. CALIPERS: Did you paint or have them powder coated?
    R

21. Mondialross 82

Mondialross 82 Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Los Angeles,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Ross G.
    #221 Mondialross 82, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
    Steven,
    A little slow in responding from a few days ago when I first saw them, I like the gold inset on the "wires". My immediate thought was "the pattern tells me BBS" but different enough not to be from the era I remember and now confirmed to be BBS from the earliest era? The flat spokes look good and wheel still holds up after all these years. Nice in their differentness (truly unique I've never seen this style over 40 years) from the thinner cast spoke of the german cars that used BBS extensively in the 70's and later. I would agree with painting the centers black but please don't paint all the spokes black you'll loose all that great detail in the darkness. That's the only drawback to that similar style of wheel on a black (or dark) car which prompts the complete painting but then the detail is lost in the shadow unless you can polish the edge of the spokes.
    R

22. Mondialross 82

Mondialross 82 Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Los Angeles,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Ross G.
    #222 Mondialross 82, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
    Francois,
    You know what I think of your wheels. I think they should be posted on each page as I consider them quintessential. The style has been around for a while and was the style of the BMW M5(and others) MSport Parallel Spoke. It is so beautiful and simple. I see that Ferrari has picked it up in their version for one of their latest cars. I have a 17" BBS version of the parallel spoke on my every day beater Lebaron convertible meant for Jettas and Volvos but I got lucky, it fit and it really sets that car off. It was, however, just enough pentagram 5 spoke star enough in my mind to hark back to the original, when I picked the same wheel for my car I was slightly concerned that it was not Ferrari enough. I was unaware at the time they were using it on late models (nothing like that " pretty girls and Ferrari" thread to get up to speed).

You beat me to the punch on your transformer comment on hmaguire's wheels, what can I say great minds think alike? I read your post after responding to his post having driven by your response because there was no photo attached of your wheels!

I almost selected another Ferrari wheel, the 384 "cookie cutter" wheel (for lack of a better term, reminds me of the meat grinding blade in a "Kitchen Aid" but IT IS BEAUTIFUL make no mistake) which a few years ago I commented that it was dangerous to select wheels from future models because of the mixing of metaphors. As in the stock 355 wheel which I think is too soft for the Mondial. It looks okay and some have used it but I think there are more appropriate styles
    I'd like to get a set of these (348)for a winter set of wheels in the smaller size and leave the 18"s for the performance tires

I have a question for everybody which way does the cookie cutter look best? Sharp edge of spoke forward trailing back to the blunt edge(aggressive cookie cutter style) or blunt edge first tapering back (low drag style) as Ferrari has it? I prefer the former I think, any comments? save the question( asked once, no further commentary) buried in a post some where in the website "Aren't those wheels backwards?" It's a bit unusual that Ferrari made a directional wheel at all, isn't it?

HOWEVER, The Mondial has better recieved many late models wheels with ease than others. Not many cars can do this. It's a testament to the classic overall design and wheels definitely help to make a car.
    OMO
    R

23. bigred2171

bigred2171 Karting

Sep 14, 2008
    Montreal,Quebec
    #223 bigred2171, Oct 24, 2009
    Motorsport Specialities.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    I posted in another thread that I'm planning to do the same thing with my own silver GTB, which is now on 14" rims.

Your car looks awesome, and while mine is not a Euro, the photo provides a pretty good idea of what it's going to look like. I can't wait.

25. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    i think this looks surprisingly well