New Tubi Style 355 Evolution exhaust system | FerrariChat

New Tubi Style 355 Evolution exhaust system

Discussion in '348/355' started by f355spider, Jun 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Page 2 of the August issue of Forza magazine...nothing on the Tubi Style website, other than the previous offerings. From the photograph in the ad, the primary difference appears to be a seperate pipe for each exhaust tip, where the previous versions (normal, extra sound and quieter sound) have a single pipe out each side of the muffler that bifircates to two exhaust tips.

2. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Found some info after a google search: http://www.scuderiasystems.com/prod-special-tubi355evo.html

The 355's original rear exhaust was a radical innovation when it was first released.

It was one of the only cars, if not the only car, that had an ECU-controlled cat-bypass exhaust channel designed to minimise exhaust backpressure at high RPM to accomodate, what was at the time, a revolutionary high-revving V8 engine (note that this "upper channel" is not, strictly speaking, a genuine cat-bypass channel - it is a "low restiction exhaust channel". The reason is that even in this channel, Ferrari fitted a set of small catalysts to optimise high RPM exhaust emissions for homologation purposes. Today, these catalysts are completely worn and have disintegrated and disappeared on many 355s).

As a result, the rear silencer (and therefore any sports exhaust system for the car) has an unususal configuration - it must have three inlets to feed it.

The system has two "lower" inlets which come out of the left and right catalysts into the silencer, as is standard practice on cars of this type. These lower inlets are used by the engine below 4000rpm. But in addition, the 355 has another "upper" inlet, into which all exhaust gases are sent directly from the manifolds when the 355's cat-bypass valve opens at 4000rpm (and at low RPM in high gear with a wide throttle opening).

The new Tubi Evolution Sports Exhaust is designed to optimise the sound resulting from this layout.

The new Tubi contains two seperate mufflers for each of the two exhaust channels, but combined into one exhaust.

There is a conventional Tubi muffler below 4000rpm (which may be specified in either a level 1, 2 or 3 configuration, depending upon your preferences) to give the 355 that classic deep, full, throaty "Tubi sound". But now, instead of sending exhaust flow into the same muffler at 4000rpm, exhaust flow is sent straight out to a direct-exit channel, thereby minimising backpressure and optimising the 355's fabulous V8-engined howling scream.

This excellent new layout allows you to drive around without too much noise (when specifiying a level 1 or 2 lower muffler), and lets you enjoy the deep and full sound of a regular Tubi at low RPM without it overpowering the driver. But when the valve opens above 4000rpm, all hell breaks loose. The sound reverts to being a full-on F1 scream as exhaust flow is now allowed to directly exit the Tubi silencer.

It truly is the best of both worlds, brought to you by the world's best manufacturer of exhaust equipment for the world's most exotic cars!

3. darrenliu

darrenliu Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Darren Liu
    i run a 'old tubi' on my 355 spider. I've run the car with the bypass valve fully open and in normal mode. For blasting around town, i prefer the bypass open all the time. The 'old' tubi seems to attenuate the 'cat bypass' leg, so that even with the bypass valve open full time, noise is not too much of an issue. It only gets a annoying on long trips when cruising in 6th gear at 100 km/hr.

This new style tubi means the bypass valve has to be operational, otherwise it will be very load.

Just a question, does anyone think the stock muffler sounds better than a tubi?

4. vancoops456

vancoops456 Karting

Dec 21, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    A. Van Coops
    I am interested to hear the difference between this new Tubi with an open bypass in comparison to my Capristo with an open bypass. I can't imagine it being any different wide open as they both bypass the silencer. I guess the whole advantage is the low RPM's would be much quieter than what I am running now.

5. Coolhand

Coolhand Karting

Mar 30, 2007
    Overland Park Kansas
    I think someone is going to have ante up and be the first to put one of these Tubi Evolution exhausts on their car for the informational benefit of the rest of the 355 brethren. If Tubi would make me an exceptionally good deal on one, I would be volunteer to be the first.

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if u have tubi test pipes the new exhaust is meaningless, correct?

7. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    No way does the stock sound better. Im going to install the tubi headers very soon. It will be interesting to see how much the sound improves with the old tubi silencer. I also have straight pipes and the challenge pipe in place of the valve. If anyone wires the bypass open then they may as well get the challenge pipe in its place.

8. WallaceBow

WallaceBow Karting

Jul 13, 2008
    New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Wallace Bow
    People with total hearing loss think that they sound the same. Everyone else prefers the Tubi.

9. Manolis

Manolis Karting

Jun 16, 2009
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Manolis Christo
    #9 Manolis, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    A sound clip Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    im having the tubi headers put on this week. I have the old tubi with the tubi test pipes. Id be willing to get the evo and try it, but from the description above it doesnt appear the sound will be any different at WOT, which is all i really care about.

12. Coolhand

Coolhand Karting

Mar 30, 2007
    Overland Park Kansas
    How does the sound of the Tubi Evolution compare to a Capristo Stage III muffler?

And +2 on the sound clip please.

13. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I have the same set up and will be putting on the tubi headers when they arrive. Let me know the difference if any in sound and power. Thanks

14. Manolis

Manolis Karting

Jun 16, 2009
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Manolis Christo
    We are having a road trip event this Sunday (starting point Ferrari of New England to Newport) and I will definately take some video footage. I will post it here for you guys. You are welcome to join the event if you live in the area!

--M

15. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    Can someone post a sound clip of the new Tubi Evolution on 355?

16. Justlooking

Justlooking Rookie

Aug 30, 2009
    I'm not knocking it but there is nothing new with the Tubi Evolution design. Capristo first came up with the two chamber design back in 2002, Tubi are just catching up.
    The thread below explains the original F355 exhaust design, the problems and why the two chamber design Capristo came up with helps.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253387&highlight=capristo+cat&page=2

Incidentally the factory Challenge exhaust is effectively a two chamber design.

17. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    #17 eulk328, Mar 23, 2010
    Here you can see the difference between the tips on the OEM muffler and the "old" style Tubi.

While the OEM is much larger the weight difference is not huge. 43.5 lbs. for the OEM vs. 30 pounds for the Tubi. Just looking at them I would have thought the difference to be greater.

Anybody know how you identify which Tubi you have (Normal, Louder or Quieter)?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Curious - I have a Tubi (old Style also) . Is the wrap on the muffler something you added (for heat I assume) or did that come with the unit?
    Thanks,

Steve

19. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    I added the heat shielding. The large piece of cloth is wrapped around with the silver lining facing the muffler. Then I just put some self-adhesive high temp. tape around the cloth. Since I don't know how long the self-adhesive tape will last (stick) I put 4 stainless steel band clamps around them. The final bit is a metal heat shield with ceramic filling where the muffler body faces the clutch housing (to reduce heat radiating to the clutch). Challenge cars have a heat shield for this ($$$).

Now I don't know how much all this will help. Who knows, may cause my Tubi to do an OEM header melt-down routine. I'm just going throughout the engine compartment doing a major heat shielding exercise in hopes more of the heat will come out of the tailpipes rather than "reside" in the engine compartment.

20. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    Cool, keep us posted how this works out.

21. Nick

Nick Formula Junior
    Sponsor Professional Ferrari Technician

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Scianna
    According to my sources, the evolution is a very close copy to the CAPRISTO.

22. Mezza Notte

Mezza Notte Karting
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2009
    I dont understand why you added the shielding to the muffler. The heat in that area had really never been an issue. Seems like a huge waste of time.

23. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    IF I can reduce heat radiating towards the clutch that's a good thing. IF I can reduce heat radiating up towards the air boxes that's a good thing. I can't explain it any simpler than that.

24. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Looking at the condition of my heat shield between my muffler and air boxes, I can see a reason to improve it. That heat shield it made of fiberglass with an aluminum insulating film glued to it. In spite of that, the fiberglass shield is showing signs of damage from the heat still passing through the aluminum reflector/blanket. I am thinking about removing mine, and have it reglassed, painted and new aluminum foil film added.

25. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    #25 eulk328, Mar 25, 2010
    Mine is falling apart in a few places (also see some sign of a leaking by-pass valve, it appears).

I added a little ceramic-filled heat shield pad at the edge of the original heat shield in the area just below where the MAF resides.

PS. do you know how to identify for certain which of the old style Tubi is which (normal, quieter, louder)? Mine came with the car. It says "Only Competition" on it but maybe they all do.