Help my son and me! | FerrariChat

Help my son and me!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by djstorm, Jul 13, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djstorm

djstorm Rookie

Jul 13, 2009
    I may get alot of flack for this but its worth it, My son is nearly 9 years old he has had a passion for red Ferrari's since he was six, It is his only dream to have a short ride in a ferarri, I have tried every site in the uk to arrange one for him over the past 3 months but i have had no joy, My only hope is that there is someone on here in the uk within 80 miles of derbyshire who is kind enough to help us out i will gladly pay for this help if anyone offers to help, I will keep my fingers crossed and hope to hear from someone.
    regards
    Ian

2. 1ual777

1ual777 F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Any of the UK group that can help this man and his son out?

3. 99F355

99F355 Karting

Jul 20, 2004
    LONDON, UK
    Full Name:
    Chip
    Have you tried posting on www.clubscuderia.com - I am amazed that nobody has jumped at the chance...Sadly, I am in London and currently do not have a Red Ferrari (I have a Black Lamborghini...)

Best of luck!

4. djstorm

djstorm Rookie

Jul 13, 2009
    Thanks so far guys, Im hoping more than anything someone can help us as its driving me mad finding someone, A short 5 or 10 min ride would make him the happiest little boy in the world. Oh shame 99F355 is in london as he loves lambos too just not with the same passion he has for red ferarri's.

5. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    You might want to post your request in the UK section also. We want pics when your son gets his ride!

6. djstorm

djstorm Rookie

Jul 13, 2009
    I will happily post pics if he gets his ferarri ride. Thanks for your tip, I have now posted in uk section too.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Good bunch of guys in there, they'll be around I'm sure......

8. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    #8 shahedc, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
    my first response:
    wow, great set of responses... it's nice to see that no one is giving him "flack" and that there are wellwishers here, and I hope that the OP's son gets his wish! :)

on second thought:
    I have a question for the OP: if a stranger from the Internet shows up in a (2-seater) Ferrari, would you let your son sit with a stranger and drive off in a fast vehicle?

I just thought of it, and I realized that I wouldn't let my nephew do that, and if I had a son, I would definitely not let my son do that.

But then again, if you get to know that Fchat member ahead of time, _and_ if he is already well-respected within the boards, I'm sure he'll be careful if he shows up to grant you the favor. (I still couldn't do it though...!)

In any case, I hope you find what you're looking for, and I wish you all the best! :D

9. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    You need to post on the UK section.

And tell them we Yanks think they are a bunch of muffin sniffers if they don't give the child a ride.

10. djstorm

djstorm Rookie

Jul 13, 2009
    Hi shahedc yes i have thaught of the safety issue but i am thinking maybe a safe location, I will make sure that the ferarri owner is respected and ask for other details before the meeting, I know exactly the point you are making and be assured i will make sure the meeting is safe for all concerned. Also i hope in all respect that i am appealing to a higher class of person than your average every day joe.

11. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    I hope that you get multiple responses.

12. fredhart

fredhart Karting

Mar 22, 2006
    this reminds me of a story i heard jay leno tell. some kid wrote to him asking for a ride in his countach. being that the kid lived not too far away, leno picked him up one morning and drove him to school.

pretty cool i'd say.

13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    If you ever travel to SW Florida I'd be happy to give him a ride in my titanium 550 (at least the interior is red!).
    :)

14. 99F355

99F355 Karting

Jul 20, 2004
    LONDON, UK
    Full Name:
    Chip
    on second thought:
    I have a question for the OP: if a stranger from the Internet shows up in a (2-seater) Ferrari, would you let your son sit with a stranger and drive off in a fast vehicle?

I just thought of it, and I realized that I wouldn't let my nephew do that, and if I had a son, I would definitely not let my son do that.

This is a valid point. Some owners might be overly keen to demonstrate the performance and end up doing something silly. Make it clear that he does not want to go fast (even if he does, LOL).

I am sure it will work out fine!

15. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Can I have a ride?

16. djstorm

djstorm Rookie

Jul 13, 2009
    #16 djstorm, Jul 13, 2009
    Hello italiafan we do visit florida every couple of years because me and my son love america so much, Can i thank you so much for your offer, At first i did not realise there were different locations in the forums, but going on the replys i have had in each it shows me that americans have far bigger hearts than the uk guys, I have posted on the uk section and sadly the british as usual show little heart in the matter. We love america, Bless you all.

17. djstorm

djstorm Rookie

Jul 13, 2009
    Quick update, A uk guy suggested a dealer who sells and restores ferarri's here in the uk just 20 miles away from us, I have emailed them, From their site they seem very nice, they even do charity work so this tells me they are selfless and may be willing to help me, Take a look at their site it looks really great and they have some awsome cars, my son has his eyes on the enzo....lol

http://www.racecarnewmedia.co.uk/nickcartwright/details.asp?StockID=193

18. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Good luck and take pics and post them!

19. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Best of luck mate. I am sure someone will be able to help you out. :):)

20. Doug_S

Doug_S Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #20 Doug_S, Jul 13, 2009
    My sister in law is a retired school teacher, the nicest 50+ year old little Italian lady you could ever hope to meet. I was shocked one day to hear her say that her union instructed teachers never to be alone in a room with a child and never to allow a child to enter their car. No matter what.

Why? Because if the child says you exposed yourself or put you hand on their leg, your life is finished. I think everyone is entitled to as good advice even though they do not have a union to look after them.

It does not matter what the facts are, you were alone with a child and it is your word against theirs. Every guilty party says the same stuff as you would. The accusation alone is sensational enough to cause press coverage. How would you like having a caption under your picture in the local daily? Not only that, not all people are what they seem. There are people who fall in supermarkets because the supermarket is a deep pocket and a settlement of some sort is a good business decision for them. Some people might think F-car owners have lots of money to make uglyness go away.

I would love to give kids a ride in my car. Sad world we find ourselves in today that a school teacher is told that it is too risky to give a student a ride in their car alone no matter what the circumstances.

No criticism implied to the original poster. The world is a mean place for males - the narrative is males are killers and molesters whenever they get a chance.

21. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I agree Dough. I would never give a ride to a child who's parents I did not know well.

22. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    ...and that is why, on the 7th day...G&d created the Mondial :) :) :)

23. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    just as i thought, wankers! (always wanted to say that)

24. djstorm

djstorm Rookie

Jul 13, 2009
    Fair comment and i would have been worried if no one was to point this out, This drive can be filmed on a mobile camera clipped into the car where both driver and child can be seen at all times so to avoid anything like this, My son would never lie as he has been taught otherwise. I would be discussing safety with anyone who offers, im not looking to put my son in a car with a stranger i would never do that. Obviously all measures would be taken to ensure the safety and protection of both my son and the driver, We do not need anyones money we have plenty enough of our own, I am looking to fullfill a childs one and only dream.

25. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    Sage words unfortunately...

Michael Jackson is the poster child for why an adult male cannot interact with children alone. No matter if the accusations are true or not, it looks bad from all angles and their lives are RUINED...

This is an unfortunate reality and may be a prime reason why many owners are reluctant to grant your request. All it takes is one manipulative person to ruin their lives forever...