91 TR Speedometer Question | FerrariChat

91 TR Speedometer Question

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by GRIESDALE, Jul 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GRIESDALE

GRIESDALE Karting

Nov 12, 2001
    Lions Bay, B.C. Canada
    Full Name:
    Donald Griesdale
    Last year in the summer of 2008, my speedometer began to "bounce" at times from 0 to 120 k. and then would work fine for a long time but this summer the problem is more constant and today, no reading at all despite going 140 k. Is this a sensor problem or a speedometer problem? Thanks for your advice. The car has 53,000 k. on it. Don.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
    When your speedometer is not working, is your odometer working or not worlking?

3. GRIESDALE

GRIESDALE Karting

Nov 12, 2001
    Lions Bay, B.C. Canada
    Full Name:
    Donald Griesdale
    Good question Steve, I'll check tomorrow and re-post with the result. Don.

4. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    OK -- please let us know which combination you have. We've had many more reports here of the sensor failing (i.e., both speedo and odo dead) rather than something wrong in just the TR speedo (i.e., speedo dead and odo working) -- so I'd put a higher probabilty on the trouble being the sensor, but anything's possible. If you want to do a little pre-homework on the sensor, try a search on "116987".

5. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I would say it's the sensor which is near the oil filter. Not hard to get at.

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    My speedometer sensor was chaged after breakdown also ........ seems to be a frequent F problem....

7. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

I too have an intermittent speedo bounce (91TR). I replaced the sensor....no change. I checked all the wiring, cleaned all the connectors and cleaned everything in the dash pod. I think my issue is the speedo itself.

....my odo works perfectly.

If I drive 40 mph, the speedo will bounce up and down to 50 to 20. Above 40mph, all is fine.

....yeah yeah, just another issue I have to get to. :)

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #8 Melvok, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
    One luck is that we "normally" hardly drive our TR under 60 .... but of course it sucks if you see this malfunction all the time...

Before buying an expensive speedometer, check these expensive parts (meter, sensor) first if possible with another TR driver or F shop...

I have not seen a second-hand one recently....

9. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

You don't need to buy a new speedo. There are two great speedo shops in the US. One is North Hollywood Speedo and the other is Palo Alto Speedo.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

10. GRIESDALE

GRIESDALE Karting

Nov 12, 2001
    Lions Bay, B.C. Canada
    Full Name:
    Donald Griesdale
    Well, I finally went out this AM for a 30 km toot to try to narrow this problem down. After a few bounces the speedometer needle came to rest at its' normal 0 ie: 10 kph and for the rest of the drive stayed there. Also, the odometer and tripmeter were not spinning. This seems to me to indicate that it's a sensor problem rather than the speedometer itself. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks. Don.

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #11 Steve Magnusson, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
    This thread:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193519

describes the electrical tests that you could make to determine (with better certainty) if the trouble is really the sensor or some other electrical gremlin (although just making this measurement is about as much work/hassle as replacing the sensor ;)). When measuring the AC voltage between the RN (red/black) wire and ground, and the rear wheels are rotating with the key "on" (or the engine running), you should see a difference between the working state and the not-working state (if you can still get both states to occur).

(note: the other wire on a TR might be V, green, rather than VB, green/white, but it serves the same function as on a 328 -- should be +12V DC when the key is "on")

If you do make this measurement, please post what the working AC voltage measures on the RN wire.

12. Alan Friedman

Alan Friedman Rookie

Feb 11, 2009
    Hello-

Reading the speedo thread and relating to my recently acquired '87 (18K miles). Speedo seems to be fine, except after about an hour of driving it will sometimes just stop. Then the car can sit shut off for 5 minutes, and it will work fine again. I did check that the elelctrical connector (near the trans) was tight and dry, but haven't dived in any more than that. Bad sensor??

Thanks.

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Looks like a bad sensor, yes........