Raise Your Hand if You Want 3 Pedals! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Raise Your Hand if You Want 3 Pedals!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Fastpants, Jul 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I've always preferred 3 pedals!

2. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Very true ....... all the girls/women I spoke to about F1/auto ...... (verbatum quotes) : lame, gay, ridiculous, stupid, no way and finally ......... OMG I would never drive an automatic sports car ............... these were actual words spoken by these girls ......... so don't flame the messenger ....... ;)

3. ITALOVER

ITALOVER Karting

Feb 26, 2006
    MODESTO , CALIF.
    Full Name:
    MIKE
    The gated shift is one ( and next to the sound ) the atributes that draws me near to the marque. If they omit this as even an option there will be many including myself that will be pissed.

4. Swiss Frank

Swiss Frank Karting

May 6, 2008
    Hong Kong
    On one hand if this has no manual, that makes my Christmas 2009-delivered F430 Spider one of the very, very, very, very ,very last manual Ferraris ever. Should be good for holding value :cool:

OTOH I might want a 458 sometime and I think I'd only take it with manual.

F1 is def faster on the track, the way of the future etc. and I don't want levers on the steering wheel for spark advance and brake bias (though in highschool around 1980 I sure did :cool:

So why manual? I've identified a few big reasons. 1) one has pride in a minor skill that is getting rarer and rarer. 2) it seems to provide about the right amount of "business" for street driving. I don't want to do alot more than that. But I've tried cars where I do less, and almost feel like the passenger. 3) As you look around you, your concept of changing conditions is automatically reflected in your clutch foot, whereas the F1 won't have this awareness.

Example: pulling out of a side street onto a busier, poorly-sighted road: you start pulling out and think you just saw another approaching car in your peripheral vision... you can halt declutching for a split second whereas the F1 would require you to release throttle (dropping revs) or even brake.

5. rjkennedy

rjkennedy Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    I don't think this is the case. When at the factory last year they told me total production was 3%manual, not just U.S.

If I can't have a manual, the 430 is staying or F40 might be only future purchase. I hope you are listening corporate. Sad for those of us who like to earn a good downshift.

6. LARuf

LARuf Karting

Jan 13, 2006
    LA
    For the street...hey why not....but I guarantee you'd be hard pressed to find any professional race car driver who'd want a 3rd pedal in his office.....

7. rjkennedy

rjkennedy Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    Can't disagree, but that's why we want the "option". To each his own.

8. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Click clack of gated shifter no doubt.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You should have told them Ferrari hasn't put a manual box in a race car in 10 years because if they did, they'd come in last in every event. Funny but I don't consider racers as poseurs.

I suppose they would feel AC in a Ferrari is posing too, along with a radio, traction control, GPS, bluetooth, and remote alarms.

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Some subscribed member needs to turn this into a real poll

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #86 TheMayor, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009

The answer is: both F1 people and manual people are correct. The problem is that the pedal people feel they are being pushed out of the market as a minority. Essentially, they are losing in the marketplace so they are most vocal about it.

I don't blame them but I also wish they would stop referring to F1 owners as gay, women, and poseurs.

I do believe this new car should be offered with a manual for those that want it.

12. Forexpreneur

Forexpreneur Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alexander Everhart
    No hand raised here. Spare me the whole "being one with the machine" crap. No offense but it is BS. If you like a manual great, hopefully it is an option but spare me the whole BS line. Race car drivers haven't had a proper manual for over a decade. At the very least it is a dog box, but in the case with F1 it has been the flappy paddle since what '91?

Just my 2 cents worth but if you act within the next 15 minutes, we can't do this all day, I will double the offer. ;)

13. Hiper

Hiper Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2007
    Home
    3 pedals for me please.

14. chatmaster

chatmaster Rookie

Jun 14, 2006
    It has to be a manual for me. I just hate these F1 boxes for road cars, apart from the fact it removes you from driving the car, I hate the way these Double clutch changes make the engine sound, its one thing for an F1 car to sound like that but a real road car should roar up the revs then fall for a second when the gears are changed then roar back up again. none of this instant tone change sounds like someone playing around with a synthesizer not a Ferrari!

To all those people who are saying move with the times, get rid of the stick shift, why don't you get Ferrari to collaborate with VOLVO and get the AUTOMATED BRAKING as well. Its a technology just like the F1 transmissions, if you cant be bothered using a pedal to shift you surely don't need a pedal to brake. All new Ferrari's should have only ONE pedal the accelerator. That's where technology is going.

15. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    So why are all the pro F1 posters in this thresd? This is for the manual guys to voice their desire for a 6 or 7 speed in the 458.

16. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    #91 rossocorsa13, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
    Here's my theory on this debate from a while back, and I am ALL FOR three pedals:

As long as these cars keep gaining weight, as long as the emphasis is on technical innovation/showboating, as long as YOU, THE CUSTOMER, keep demanding these things, Ferrari will continue down the path towards eliminating the six-speed manual transmission.

So go buy a Lotus. It's about the only car on the market right now fit to call itself an out-and-out full-blooded sports car, if you ask me. I will always love Ferrari and what they do, but they seem to be staying on the technical side of things, which I could care less for. The post in the weight thread in the Supercar Section regarding the MilleChili commitment gives me some hope, but at the end of the day added tech usually means added weight, which is never good no matter how you slice it.

17. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I think the 3 pedal people need to sit down, take a breath and prepare for a harsh reality check. The future is not on their side. Sorry.

18. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    If I remember correctly, I read an interview with someone from Ferrari a couple years ago, and it pretty much indicated the 430 would be the last gearshift car. Whether that is still the case remains to be seen, though Lambo has talked about making their egear standard and the gearshift car as the option (the opposite of the way it is now) on future cars. Maybe Ferrari will go that route as well.

19. Fastpants

Fastpants Karting

Jan 24, 2006
    South Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Nick
    #94 Fastpants, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
    I don't think of it as "3 pedal people" versus "paddle-shift" people. It's about convincing Ferrari to keep the option available.

I'd (personally) be just as disappointed if Ferrari made the announcement that they were going to stop actively advancing the technology of their production gearboxes.

If we were talking in terms of a mainstream sports-car bulit to a price, by a company like Toyota, Honda, or GM, then I could see how the manufacturer would concentrate on one type of gearbox offering, in the name of keeping R&D costs and therefore the vehicle low.

But this is a Ferrari. Why not offer both? These are specialized cars for specialized tastes.

BTW, some would say that the future is definitely not on the side of the "rear-wheel-drive people". Certainly not if we don't voice our preferences.

20. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    #95 petearron, Aug 1, 2009
    Well I have a GXSR 1300 Hayabusa and it will hit 60mph in about 2.3 seconds and a 100mph in about 5 and will smoke anything Ferrari has to offer and its a manual 6 speed, needing a F1 as the cars will suffer in performance is just BS, the F1 just opened up a new market for Ferrari those that can't drive a stick well such as many women or the non car guy that never learned to drive well that has money and now can drive a Ferrari where as he couldn't before or found a manual too much work.

21. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON
    I really hope they still make a 6 speed or even see a 7 speed gated shift box. As far as f1 boxs there is nothing wrong with them and there getting better and better. I have seen there are boxes faster there then a DSG box if I'm correct. But if they do stop, I'm sure There will be guys out there getting someone to mod there Ferrari for a gated shift box yet alone company make kits to convert. As far as going auto I have been driving stick for 9 years and everyday use it is getting old. So I understand why guys pick the f1 for everyday, I will for my next car or truck. But a weekend car yet alone a Ferrari I would not pick anything else but a gated shift. As far as a Ferrari being a F1 or not I love them all the same f1 or gated.

22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    What a load of fooey.

23. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Another vote for a manual tranny.

Only way I drive any sports car I buy.

24. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Manual please.

Someone argued that he was a 3 pedal guy before but now F1, because the F1 is smoother. IMO that's missing the point because if one wanted a smooth ride he'd have bought a rolls royce/similar.

I'm not yet in the market of buying a new Ferrari but in the next 18-24 months I will be able to, when my business is booming. I'd happily buy a 458 then IF it has a 3-pedal option. If not, I will take my big bag of money to st. Agatha and buy a 3 pedal LP640 instead.

25. verdegrrl

verdegrrl Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2008
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    April
    #100 verdegrrl, Aug 1, 2009
    Give me a stick please.

*climbs on soapbox*

Militantly a 3 pedal kind of driver. If a 5ft 2in 100lb gal like me can drive an Italian stickshift in SoCal gridlock for over 12 years, there just isn't an excuse unless a physical handicap is present or coordination isn't your thing. I find it gives me more control under a wider range of conditions.

Yes, some kind of manumatic is better for quick lap times at the track, but for sheer pleasure, nothing beats a well executed heel and toe. Driving in the real world isn't about lap times, it about smiles per mile. With the police lurking around every corner, sheer speed can be rarely explored, so the whole F1 argument doesn't hold water for the vast majority of us IMHO. This is Ferrari for crying out loud, not a Toyota. Isn't total driver involvement a goal we all seek whenever we select the prancing horse key as we leave the house? Again, if you buy your car for a track monster or have some sort of condition that prevents the use of a stick, that is an entirely different matter.

Somebody did make a good point that by offering a manumatic, Ferrari can charge extra as well as appeal to a broader audience. They can also better integrate stability control, traction control (btw, the stick M5 power output was neutered to keep wheel spin and axle hop under control - something that happened invisibly with the auto), reduce clutch wear, as well as reduce emissions and noise by using a gearbox that works with the engine management to place invisible limits on performance. BMW never planned to offer the M5 in stick, and it showed by their half baked implementation.

In the interests of full disclosure, hubby has a CS for track duty and I an F355. Nothing beats the deliciously tactile mechanicalness of the old F355, even if it isn't the fastest thing around any more. But if cracking off fast lap times is my goal, the only choice is the CS.

Let's hope Ferrari has more foresight and gives us a choice. Different horses for different courses.

*steps down*